Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

Wall of Pictures

Pages: 1 18 replies

Hope this is the right place to post this, but if not, sure it will be moved.

I have a collection of Tiki art from the fabulous artists here on TC. It is just a start, but want to get it hung on my walls. I have a 14 foot ceiling in my lounge, so think I should start at the top and work my way down the wall with the pictures very close to each other in random fashion. I was going to stick with just bamboo frames, but have decided to mix it up with a variety. I am hoping folks will provide suggestions for hanging...what are the best hangers and do you also secure with sticky strips on the bottom to be sure pictures don't move.

If you could post pictures of your gallery walls here, I would greatly appreciate it. I need inspiration...and it might help others too.

On 2010-05-26 08:23, VampiressRN wrote:
Hope this is the right place to post this, but if not, sure it will be moved.

I have a collection of Tiki art from the fabulous artists here on TC. It is just a start, but want to get it hung on my walls. I have a 14 foot ceiling in my lounge, so think I should start at the top and work my way down the wall with the pictures very close to each other in random fashion. I was going to stick with just bamboo frames, but have decided to mix it up with a variety. I am hoping folks will provide suggestions for hanging...what are the best hangers and do you also secure with sticky strips on the bottom to be sure pictures don't move.

If you could post pictures of your gallery walls here, I would greatly appreciate it. I need inspiration...and it might help others too.

Fantastic! I love your enthusiasm. A word of caution though, as much fun as it would be to frame everything differently, it might make it difficult to construct a gallery collage that makes sense. Keeping the frames all bamboo, or at least similar in wood tone/color/finish will make the frames more or less look cohesive, like they all match even if they don't, and the artwork will really stand out. Having too many different frames on one wall might wind up making the arrangement look slap-dash and cluttered. Now, I know controlled clutter with various layers of textures and detail is one of the trademarks of Tiki decorating, but if the rest of your room isn't Tiki, I vote for keeping the frames all bamboo or similar in wood tone. Doing so will led a certain sophistication to the art and, like I said before, visually connect one piece of art to the other.

Depending how large the framed art is, I see no harm in using the sticky tape to prevent the frames from swinging on the wall. Also, and this is slightly out of order - I probably should have mentioned this first, lay out your art in the arrangement you want on the floor, work out the kinks, then measure the entire group of art and all the spacing in between the frames, height from the floor/ceiling, etc. Finally, transfer those measurements to the wall. Don't just start randomly hanging pictures on the wall or else be prepared to patch a lot of holes! Trust me. It sounds like a step worth skipping, but making a plan for where and how you want to hang your chosen art actually saves time in the long run.

Now for the how: for large/oversized art, picture wire and two nails, to evenly distribute the weight of the frame, glass, what have you, usually works great. Smaller items can hang beautifully on nails with a small head tapped into the wall at a slight angle or dedicated picture hooks. A multitude of picture hanging hardware, including products rated for specific weight loads, can be found at any big box home improvement center.

Above all, do what you think looks best. And level everything after it's hung. I hope this helps, and good luck!

Dejavoodoo ditto :)

P
phinz posted on Wed, May 26, 2010 3:26 PM

These work great for hanging pictures. Thin nails and solid as a rock.

http://www.ooks.com/

Thanks everyone...appreciate the assistance.

DejaVoodoo...a special thanks to you for taking the time to provide so much insight, it will really help me. Yes I see what you mean about the chaos of different frames, so will try to use similar ones. Bottom line, it really isn't about the frames anyway...it is about the piece of art and the frames should not detract. I may try to go frame shopping next weekend.

I had a friend who did something like this, the artwork going from the ceiling down, and I really didn't like the look it gave the room (to my eye it was cluttered & unfocused looking). I'd suggest putting several large pieces up at eye level first to provide focus and then filling in the spaces between them with smaller pieces.

Don't try to fill in the upper area with art unless it's something that can fill the whole space, like a single large piece of Tapa or a Mural, because craning your neck & looking up isn't an optimal viewing angle for smaller pieces.

Thanks...and I will need to throw a few masks (don't have any of those yet) in the mix to add some depth to the wall...I don't want it to be flat. I will be heading to Aaron Bros tomorrow.

Gotta love the power of Tiki...it was strong for me yesterday. First of all, got an email from Aaron Brothers with a coupon for 50% off entire order of custom frame work...HELLLLLLOOOOO...that got me moving. I bundled up all the art I had stored under my bed, brushed off the dust and headed over to the store.

There were already customers in the back of the store being helped at the custom framing desk, so they called up front to have a guy come back to help me. I apologized to him right away and said "hope you don't mind working with me cause we will be here a while" and he smiled when he saw my stack of Tiki art and said "no problem."

We got to talking and he knew of Tiki Central (didn't post much) and had studied Polynesian art at San Diego State, had his graphic arts degree, an appreciation of Disneyana and a Tiki Bar in his own home. He knew of THEE Tiki books and so many other things...we had a great time talking...our meeting was meant to be!!!

He spent over 2 hours helping me with all my art work and knew the style I needed. I'm going with a straw thatch mat for all the pieces and either an antiqued black or gold bamboo styled frame. He is planning on coming to my next Tiki party so he can see all the art work up on the walls and hook up with the Sacramento Tiki Ohana. Hope to see ya on line Casey...THANX for your great customer service!!!

Very cool when you meet other people that are interested in Poly Pop .Glad you met someone
that was helpful .Vamp you can go online any day of the week and print out 40% off coupons
just in case you need more work done.Can't wait to see pics.Some Papa New Guinea masks
would look great in between your pics like you said.

[ Edited by: 1961surf 2010-05-31 13:50 ]

Thanks Bill, didn't know about the 40% option, so will definitely use that as I will add more art. Yes, I do need some PNG masks, but will need some help knowing what to get as I don't know a thing about them. I'll post pix when I get my art up on the walls.

Hey Vamp!!

This is Casey!! It truly was meant to be that we were able to hook up on Sunday and talk about tiki. My boss had to go on her lunch and she called me over to help and I nearly had a heart attack when i saw that giant moai staring back at me. Then imagine my surprise when you pull out an endless amount of work! I spent the next 2-3 hours helping pick out frames and getting everything ready in the order. It was so much fun, we just talked tiki the whole time and by the time we finished i only had 15 minutes left in my shift.

I love this community and i'm so glad i got to meet you and you know i will be at your crawl for sure!!! I can't wait to see how the art turns out!

If anyone needs framing out in the sacramento area be sure to bring your pieces by the aaron bros in roseville, off of fairway and i'll be sure to help you out and use any discounts i possibly can.

Thanks Marlene for getting me back into the community!!

On 2010-06-01 11:00, Coconut KC wrote:
Hey Vamp!!

This is Casey!! It truly was meant to be that we were able to hook up on Sunday and talk about tiki.

Thanks Marlene for getting me back into the community!!

Spring is in the air...

Here is my wall of art (picture from Wendy). Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions, it was very helpful. Needless to say I have room for more art as I collect it.

Very cool Vamp! So glad i got to see your collection in person! Can't wait for the crawl in october!

p.s I like exclamation points!! =)

I see the Jungle Jetsetter mug !

Nice walls....lol :wink:

B
Bau posted on Sun, Aug 1, 2010 7:20 PM

love the furnature , very unique chandelier!

B

Vamp.....go for random frames from the thrift store. Sometimes the existing art/print can be sacrificed for the glory of tiki..

Thanks Bongo. I have a bungalow attached to my home and I am putting 007 paraphernalia in there. I have small prints of all the movie posters and was just going to slam em on the walls, but now that my Tiki art is framed, I am rethinking that and am going to have to frame the 007 items too. Thrifting for frames sounds like a plan. After all, that is the Bond Bungalow and I need it looking good!!!

Pages: 1 18 replies