Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

Wanted: Vintage plastic lanern/pagoda party lights

Pages: 1 10 replies

I'm looking for a string of those vintage 60s or 70s plastic lanterns that snap onto a string of big-bulb Christmas lights. They're like the ones pictured below - black plastic "cage" and lid with colored plasic inserts - except the ones shown are round, and the ones I'm after are square with somewhat Oriental or Japanese designs on the sides. I've seen them branded NOMA, Lidco, even Tiki Torch brand!

Anyone got some they'll sell me? Doesn't matter if you have the cord/sockets, as long as the lanterns are complete (they're in three pieces: sides/bottom, top cap, and colored insert, and sort of snap together).

L

Thanks! I'm looking for the square, pagoda-lantern-shaped versions, though. I have two (newer) sets of the round ones, which are sold as "Coach Lanterns" now.

I may or may not have a lead on a set, I gotta wait and see.

L

damn I thought I was close!

:)

I must be getting really old...never thought I would see the words "vintage" and "plastic" in the same sentence. Sorry...just had to say that. :wink: Best of luck finding them.

T

"Vintage" and "plastic" together does sound funny... until you know that there was a time when plastic was a mark of luxury goods. It was expensive and difficult to make. When heat-set phenolic plastics like trademarked Bakelite, Catalin and Beetle came out in the early 30s, everyone wanted them. Owning plastic housewares, jewelry, etc. was a sign of affluence. Catalin is really collectible now, especially the various shades of 'butterscotch yellow' that were originally imitations of white marble, alabaster and ivory (Catalin ages with time).

Granted, these things are pretty thin, cheap plastic, but they're still nifty. And I'll decorate with these over the modern "party lights" any day. Not only do the sub-mini Christmas light type with the molded, colored plastic covers look tacky to me, but the themes are worse. Cacti? Chili peppers? Little airstream trailers? I even saw a set with red-and-brass shotgun shells! These Lidco lantern sets remind me of that "mad tea party" atmosphere, and of lawn parties pre-tiki.

T
T

Thanks!! Those popped up at the same time as a double set plus one (15), I'm bidding on those... That's exactly the style I'm after! If I can grab those, I'll mix them with my Coach Lights set for 29 lanterns.

These'll be great for vintage (though not tiki) swank... Thanks for the links!!

On 2010-06-01 05:52, VampiressRN wrote:
I must be getting really old...never thought I would see the words "vintage" and "plastic" in the same sentence.

Try to find plastic flowers nowadays. Outdated as can be.

The term "plastic" was used as a derogatory adjective as early as the 60s, to denote something as being "artificial" and "fake", among other things for Polynesian pop, too, decrying it as a "plastic Polynesia". So plastic is part of vintage Polynesian pop.

America was much more plastic-friendly than traditional Europe. Growing up there it was inconceivable to eat of plastic dishes or drink from plastic glasses, or to have plastic Christmas lights instead of candles. That's why I love it (though I still avoid it in the kitchen). :)

8T

Plastic is vintage now. Resin is the new "plastic". :(

T

Thanks again! Lidco Pagoda Lights acquired - a fifteen-pagoda set.

Both these and my Lidco Coach Lights come in four colors: pink, blue, green, yellow. And all but the blue have very pale pastel colors when lit by white or clear bulbs. Thank goodness I've got a big stock of oddball colors of C6 bulbs. Using various colors of bulbs, I've been able to make...

Pink lanterns:
Raspberry red (transparent ruby bulb), medium pink (transparent pink bulb)
Yellow lanterns:
Golden (metallic gold bulb), medium orange (transparent orange bulb), flame red-orange (translucent red bulb)
Green lanterns:
Medium green (transparent blue bulb), yellow-green (metallic gold bulb)
Blue lanterns:
Cobalt blue (transparent blue bulb), teal (trasparent yellow bulb)

My new deck might not be tiki, exactly, but the 60s non-psychedelic garden party look might be a feature. 29 lanterns of two shapes, in many colors, a big conical orange "Tahoe ski lodge" Malm fireplace, and a nice colorful Rain Jet fountain if I'm lucky.

Thanks again for pointing out the eBay auctions!

Pages: 1 10 replies