Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Tropical Lorakeets Stockton California 06-09/2010

Pages: 1 13 replies

Dan and I had the very best time today. Mickey Grove Park on Armstrong road just north of Stockton is a beautiful place. There is a Japanese garden to wander through and a small tropical zoo. Bamboo is everywhere. This summer they have Lorakeets. You pay $1 per cup of juice and you get to feed them. We went through 10 cups in 30 minutes and it was worth it. I feel like we went on vacation to somewhere special. Wendy

LT

Wow - that's a blast from the past. I went on many elementary school field trips to the Micke's Grove zoo; nice to hear that it's still around!

Great pictures Wendy. Those Lorakeets are cute as can be. Thanks for sharing, looks like a great place to "vacation."

TM

I love tropical ornamental gardens of all types. Over here we have the Fullerton Arboretum, which is free and always open to the public.

LOL Tiki there were buses of kids yesterday. They had to give the birds a half hour break or else they would be too full to keep on drinking.

Vamp always fun to read your notes. I'm ready to go back.

Lucas where are you located, I don't know that garden.

Cheers, Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2010-06-03 17:20 ]

Great pics and awesome colors on these birds.
Thanks for sharing Dan and Wendy.

Wow, beautiful! I love that kind of direct contact with exotic species. Wonderful.

That kinda reminds me of me and Diego on Waikiki beach many moons ago:

A completely natural, un-posed situation!

R

How cool!

I had a friend that used to breed exotic birds...I used to call that colorful Lorakeet a "watermelon" bird.

We still get a few parrots from the old Bush Gardens here in the San Fernando Valley.

H

On 2010-06-03 17:19, danlovestikis wrote:

...Lucas where are you located, I don't know that garden...]

Wendy, Mickey Grove Park looks like a great place and Lorakeets are always fun. The Santa Barbara Zoo used to have some but recently got rid of them. Bad move on their part.

The Fullerton Arboretum that Lucas is referring to is located in Fullerton! (Southern California, Orange County)

In fact I was just there for the first time a few weeks ago and I have to concur that it's a great place.
Here's a photo of me in one of the incredible trees there.

Holy cow....that is some kind of a tree alright...wonder if they use "miracle grow"!!!

Wendy, I used to have a parrot similar to a Lorikeet same size and dramatic coloring. He was a black headed Caique. He had orange bloomers (plumage) so I called him Popeye. He made a sound just like my phone ringing, so I would get up to go answer it only to realize it was him. This is not a picture of him but he looked exactly like this. My husband was not really fond of him as he was pretty wild and would only sit on my lap. I ended up giving him to a Caique breeder.

Loved the stories and photos. I want to go to that garden and to see that tree. Hey Sven were we on the same vacation? Wendy

There's still time to go. Wendy

Wendy, we ARE on the same vacation, all of us, all the time ! :wink:

Pages: 1 13 replies