Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Honolulu Rock-A Roll-A (aka the Hulabilly Thread ??)

Pages: 1 2 51 replies

J

I came across this song "Honolulu Rock-A Roll-A".

by a country western singer Moon Mullican.

I'm assuming he wrote it. Is this a pretty obscure song?

I'm not familiar with it but then my Honky-Tonk listening only goes as far as Hank Williams.

Eartha Kitt also covered it.

It's classic !!

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2012-08-28 18:11 ]

Hawaii in Country music is an interesting side-genre of Poly pop music. This is not the only song where country singers thematize it, usually in a humorous way. The slide guitar/Hawaiian cowboy connection and the white trash backround of Tiki and Country made that an easy choice. There's Hillbilly Hula Girl, Let's Talk Dirty in Hawaiian....does anyone remember other examples?

M

*On 2010-06-03 08:19, bigbrotiki wrote:*The slide guitar
Make that the STEEL guitar, originally known as the Hawaiian steel guitar, even during Moon's era.
Slide guitar is a whole 'nuther animule.
Sorry to be anal, butt steelers prefer the fret lines not to be blurred.

Mainland composers/groups used Hawaii and the steel to great advantage in country and other genres of music for decades back when the steel was huge. It's hardly thot of these days...

J
JOHN-O posted on Fri, Jun 4, 2010 5:31 PM

The musical island of Hulabilly !! :)...

1. Honolulu Rock-A Roll-A by Moon Muligan (Here's a version by Eartha Kitt)

2. Everybody Does It In Hawaii by Jimmie Rodgers (Love that yodeling !!)

3. Hawaiian Cowboy by Roy Rogers (More yodeling !!)

4. Hula Rock by Bill Browning

5. Bop-A-Hula by Jimmy Newman

6. Hillbilly Hula by Jenks "Tex" Carman

7. Hula Boogie by Tommy Durden

8. Hawaiian Boogie by Elmore James

9. Hula Bop by Smokey Joe Baugh

10. Me Rock-A-Hula by Bill Haley & the Comets (I think this is a song that The Hula Girls are covering now)

11. Lula Rock-A-Hula by Teresa Brewer

12. Hawaiian Rock by Tommy Sands (Better than Elvis !!)

13. Hawaiian Rock & Roll by Morgan Clarke & The Hulawains

14. Chimpanzee Rock by the Hula Hawaiians (a 1957 Rockabilly tune by a Swiss group !!)

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2012-08-29 10:50 ]

J

Double bump...

I'm really fascinated by this stuff. :)

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2011-10-18 13:18 ]

Hank Snow did a different song called 'Hula Rock' too. The Hula Girls do both 'Hula Rock' songs when we play a three set show. I'm constantly digging for those kinds of songs to add to our set. I love that 1956 Honolulu Rock-a-roll-a song!

Of course in more modern times, Junior Brown has taken a note from those songs and crafted his own country/ hawaiian hybrids such as "Hillbilly Hula Gal" and "Coconut Island". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfuRcSRMNCQ
Junior was a big influence in helping my band to find our sound. He has our album too!

I think you put it best in the Tiki Mag article about us, John-O. These country/ Hawaiian combinations as well as our own 'hulabilly' music make up small islands in the archipeligo of what constitues 'tiki music'. Fun stuff. And this is period stuff too... so while it probably wasn't ever played in a tiki bar, there ARE straight hawaiian/ tiki ties to hillbilly and rockabilly.

On 2010-06-03 08:19, bigbrotiki wrote:
Hawaii in Country music is an interesting side-genre of Poly pop music. This is not the only song where country singers thematize it, usually in a humorous way. The slide guitar/Hawaiian cowboy connection and the white trash backround of Tiki and Country made that an easy choice. There's Hillbilly Hula Girl, Let's Talk Dirty in Hawaiian....does anyone remember other examples?

Who you calling White Trash? :)

A

Marty Robbins also did a few country-Hawaiian albums: "Song of the Islands," "Isle of Golden Dreams," and "Hawaii's Calling Me."

J

Tiki Oasis 2013 is gonna be HULABILLY...

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2012-08-27 12:29 ]

B

I've dragged my mother to T.O. the past three years. Sorry for all the ankles I've clipped with her wheelchair! I really hope she's well enough to attend next year. She's played country steel guitar since the 1950's. And if you play steel, you gotta play some Hawaiian. One of her best groups was Wild Oats (http://www.ibiblio.org/hillwilliam/BGdiscography/?v=fullrecord&albumid=6645) but she also led a pretty wild all-girl group - The Farmer's Daughters - in the 1970's. The crowds, heat and hassle were getting to her a little this year, until she heard the theme for next year. Now she's looking forward to it! See you then!!

J

Edit - Consolidated the song list into one post above.

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2012-08-28 17:57 ]

On 2012-08-19 13:09, JOHN-O wrote:

Jethro approves !! :)

(Plus the whole Double Naught Spy thing wasn't working out).

I can't see any band other then the Hula Girls headlining this future event. That has to happen.

Thanks, Lucas.
Remember when we played Tiki Oasis #2 or #3 as the Smokin' Menenhunes? I was even trying to lead that band into the hulabilly stuff way back then too! But the SM's are WAY better as the traditional hapa haole thing that you guys have going now.

I really appreciate Otto's validation of what I have created (or THOUGHT I created anyway). I hadn't yet heard any of those songs that John-O posted. Junior Brown was the only guy that even got close to what I had in mind with "Hillbilly Hula Gal" and "Coconut Isle". Oh, and Blazing Haley had one song that was super influential to me as well.

We DO cover that Bill Haley song, John-O! It is such a great one for our genre! Bill Haley had some AMAZING songs once you get past all of his cliche hits!

Anyway, I CAN'T wait to see what Otto puts together for next year's Oasis!!

TM

In my opinion, Spike, your band is the first and only hulabilly band. While its true junior brown had a couple songs, nobody has taken it to the level you have. And it's true, you had the idea for it at least 8 years ago. It's amazing what you have built I also think it is safe to say you are the originator and creater of a new genre of music. For that, you can be proud!

[ Edited by: lucas vigor 2012-08-27 16:57 ]

For my money, your the man Spike.....get to shakin...you only have a year to gig time!

TM

Spike's concept for hulabilly goes way back...here I found a very early picture of the original hula girls...though we probably did not have that name yet...

J

This one is for the Bigbro...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyqC_sEwAgs

On 2012-08-27 16:56, lucas vigor wrote:
In my opinion, Spike, your band is the first and only hulabilly band. While its true junior brown had a couple songs, nobody has taken it to the level you have. And it's true, you had the idea for it at least 8 years ago. It's amazing what you have built I also think it is safe to say you are the originator and creater of a new genre of music. For that, you can be proud!

I want to second this statement. It was actually more than 8 years ago. How do I know? Well, if you'll recall, the Smokin' Menehunes played at Sydney's 1st Birthday Luau back in 2003. That was 9 years ago and although a precursor to The Hula Girls, the SM's were already doing the Hulabilly stuff in their set.

Here's a pic from that party. Spike ain't singin' no Hapa Haole - I guarantee it!

TM

Oh Man! I took so much crap for wearing those clothes to that gig! Both bong and Spike literally wanted to kill me!
But, I had met those guys shortly after quitting a semi-famous HB Punk/metal band (whose name I would rather not reveal) and did not quite get the tiki "image" yet!

Those were cool early gigs for us...yours, and I believe the bamboo ben gig were among the first we ever did as a group.

J

On 2010-06-04 17:31, JOHN-O wrote:

The musical island of Hulabilly !! :)...

10. Me Rock-A-Hula by Bill Haley & the Comets (I think this is a song that The Hula Girls are covering now)

14. Chimpanzee Rock by the Hula Hawaiians (a 1957 Rockabilly tune by a Swiss group !!)

Spike defined a genre before anyone realized it was a genre !! :)

He should have trademarked the term "Hulabilly" to get paid royalties on Tiki Oasis 2013. :D

J

And also while the steel guitar was a mainstay of early Country and Western Swing, it appears to be the exception more than the rule by the time Rockabilly took off.

Perhaps the definition of "Hulabilly" is the consistent use of steel (in addition to the Poly Pop themes) as performed in the majority of The Hula Girls' songs.

Japanese culture is such an integral part of the Hawaiian melting pot
maybe we can squeeze in a little Wanda Jackson- Fujiyama Mama?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WvpSql26FY&feature=related

I know they are more strait ahead Happa Haole,
but I would love to see the Sweet Hollywaiians at TO.

and there are a few bands that mix surf and rockabilly,
can you say Surfabilly?

Jeff(btd)

J

On 2012-08-29 11:09, JOHN-O wrote:
And also while the steel guitar was a mainstay of early Country and Western Swing, it appears to be the exception more than the rule by the time Rockabilly took off.

Perhaps the definition of "Hulabilly" is the consistent use of steel (in addition to the Poly Pop themes) as performed in the majority of The Hula Girls' songs.

Actually here's Spike's take on the term from the Fall 2011 Tiki Magazine (vol. 7, no. 2)...

It looks like Tiki Oasis 2013 might be casting a broader definition of the term, I'm assuming based on the great influence of the steel guitar sound (from Hawaii !!) on early Country music and Western Swing.

I think there was a saying that went... "To get to Nashville, you've got to go through Honolulu". :)

There are only a limited number of steel guitar bands out there. besides the sweet hollywaiians, there are also the Smokin menehunes, who have not played tiki oasis since 2004, but would be glad to be back.

and you know its always more fun, when the boundaries are pushed a little further.
:wink:

TM

On 2012-08-30 21:35, bigtikidude wrote:

Jeff, I am real sorry I missed your surf event. You see, we ended up leaving for a vacation during that time.

You are going to tell me that a band that plays every other tiki event, like the smoking menehunes, shouldn't play at tiki oasis? 2004 was the last time, bud. We are probably the only band around playing vintage hawaiian music, and oasis has had punk and ska bands playing but not us. What, do we suck that bad?

J

:right: :right: :right:

J

On 2012-08-31 07:58, lucas vigor wrote:

...You are going to tell me that a band that plays every other tiki event, like the smoking menehunes, shouldn't play at tiki oasis? 2004 was the last time, bud. We are probably the only band around playing vintage hawaiian music, and oasis has had punk and ska bands playing but not us. What, do we suck that bad?

Lucas, you keep using Tiki Oasis as a barometer of your Tiki worthiness. That is a big mistake !! T.O. seems to be less about Tiki and more about the theme.

I think for a lot of people this year's T.O. was more like...

"James Bond ?? Cool, I love James Bond !! Now give me my free Tiki drink so I can get shitfaced."

OK, so maybe I'm exaggerating here. :D Personally I love to connect the mid-century pop cultural dots to Tiki that Otto challenges us to rediscover. To me that's almost as fun as actually attending the event itself. Very few people however, share that same geeky introspection. :(

Next year's "Hulabilly" theme looks like it's going to be really cool. Not only to highlight a Poly Pop musical genre that Spike's been ahead of the curve now for almost a decade, but also to educate people on Hawaiian music's impact on overall American culture.

I know this is a MAJOR oversimplification but it might go something like this: Hawaiian Steel Guitar --> Early Country --> Western Swing --> Rockabilly --> Rock and Roll --> Punk (ha, ha, I threw that one in for ATP). Also I'm sure Rhythm and Blues fits in there somewhere but we should save that for the Blaxploitation Tiki Oasis. :D

So Lucas, if you want to really play T.O. 2013, here's what you have to do. Go with the flow !!...

Change the name of the band to the "Smokin' Corn Cobs", affect a 1970's "Hee Haw" look, change the set list to include only Hapa Haole covers of Country songs, and replace Tiki Bong with Billy Bob Bong.

Got it ?? Now can you and BTD stop derailing my super boss thread !! :)

Instead add to this Hulabilly song list that I've compiled so far...

TM

Smokin' corn cobs! I like that!

(smokin' corn holes is better, though)

In my opinion, Spike, your band is the first and only hulabilly band.

Have you listened to the Hapa Hillbillies?

http://www.benbonham.com/?section=news

On 2010-06-03 13:04, msteeln wrote:

The slide guitar

Make that the STEEL guitar, originally known as the Hawaiian steel guitar, even during Moon's era.
Slide guitar is a whole 'nuther animule.
Sorry to be anal, butt steelers prefer the fret lines not to be blurred.

Right, just so everybody is clear...

Steel Guitar

Hawaiian Steel Guitar

Slide Guitar

Slack Key Guitar

Hawaii in Country music is an interesting side-genre of Poly pop music. This is not the only song where country singers thematize it, usually in a humorous way...

... There's Hillbilly Hula Girl, Let's Talk Dirty in Hawaiian....does anyone remember other examples?

Not just yes, but, Hell yes!

I have copies or at least know of a number of Country, Western/Cowboy, Hillbilly artists that recorded Hawaiian style music as well as other types of specialty numbers. When JOHN-O bumped this thread with the news that next year's TO would have a Hulabilly theme, I started to compile a list with links to online versions of all the Country Early Rock & Roll songs I know that have a South Seas/Hawaiian theme, etc.

Unfortunately, not all the songs are online other than maybe short snippets on Amazon, I couldn't find songs like Shorty Long's "Let's All Go To Hawaii" or "South Sea Island Tears," "Hawaiian Honeymoon" by either Hank Penny or the Tune Wranglers, "Sweet Hawaii" by Laurel & Miles, nor Jimmy Newman's "Dreamland Island." Some of the songs I was planning on, JOHN-O beat me to it, on "Hillbilly Hula," "Hula Boogie," "Hawaiian Boogie," " Bop-A-Hula," "Me-Rock-A-Hula," and "Hawaiian Rock & Roll" anyway.

What follows is a list of some that haven't been mentioned yet. Some are either Western/Country artists singing/playing strictly Hapa Haole music, others are Hawaiian/Exotically themed songs by Western/Country artists, and some others could definately be classified as Hulabilly. I've even thrown in some just for fun stuff that isn't necessarily Hillbilly/Country/Western or Hulabilly/Rockabilly, some Rock & Roll with steel guitar by artists trained in Hawaiian steel guitar techniques and did record some Hawaiian music.

And away we go...

Other than the song "Hillbilly Hula" that JOHN-O posted earlier, Jenks "Tex" Carman also had...

Samoa Stomp

New Waikiki Beach

Gene Autry...

Paradise In The Moonlight I have an mp3 of Gene singing a nice rendition of "Blue Hawaii," but couldn't find an online version of it.

Sons Of The Pioneers...

Hawaiian Lullaby I also have mp3s of Sons Of The Pioneers singing "Blue Hawaii" and "Stars Above Hawaii."

Bob Wills & His Texas Playboys...

Hawaiian War Chant I couldn't find "'Neath Hawaiian Palms" though.

Cowboy Copas...

Filipino Baby This song was recorded by a number of Country artists in the 40s including Ernest Tubb, T. Texas Tyler, and Texas Jim Robertson. Hank Locklin recorded another song in this vein called "Geisha Girl" which was answered by female Country singer Skeeter Davis with a song called "Lost To A Geisha Girl." Yes, "Filipino Baby" and "My Filipino Rose" (listed below) are songs about girls from the Philippines, and Locklin's and Davis' songs are about Japanese and not Polynesian island girls, so why are they included here?

Because at the time (following WW2 and the Korean Conflict) with so many young servicemen stationed all over the globe, and some returning home with foreign brides, they were just considered to be in a theme of American boys falling for exotic girls in foreign lands. Distinguishing between the nationalities of the women in these types of songs wasn't as important then as we may consider it to be now. The foreign/exotic origins of the women were on an equal level in these songs. Polynesian, Philippine, or Japanese it was all the same.

Some may feel they fit in with the other Hawaiian themed Country tunes, the more purist individual's opinion may differ. I only offer them here to acknowlege their existance in the context of Country artists recording songs of non-Country/Western themes, not to say they are Hulabilly or Tiki. Plus it enabled me to mention the practice of the "answer song." :D

With that said... Sven may enjoy this tune by Bobby Helms. Hank Locklin (bio above) also recorded this song. And yet another answer song was made by Kitty Wells.

Hank Snow...

My Filipino Rose Ernest Tubb also recorded this song in 1949.

Hawaiian Sunset

On That Old Hawaiian Shore With You

Hula Love (first song) and Buddy Knox's more Rockabilly version of this song recorded in the 50s.

Judging by some of the images JOHN-O has posted in the Exotic Women thread, he may appreciate this song about an exotic woman. Not Hawaiian or Hulabilly, but it really moves.

Hank Snow & Anita Carter...

Bluebird Island

Johnnie & Jack (see also Kitty Wells bio)...

Lonely Island Pearl

Al Dexter & His Troopers...

Kokomo Island

Mitchell Torok...

Hootchy Kootchy Henry From Hawaii

Hank Locklin...

Blue Grass Skirt

Chuck Miller...

Hopahula Boogie

Jerry Wallace...

Little Coco Palm

Elvis (I'm not posting his bio. If you don't know who he was, you must live under a rock)...

Rock-A-Hula Baby

Jerry Lee Lewis (You need to get out from under that rock)...

I'll Sail My Ship Alone Well, it's a nautical theme, which is used as a metaphor, but it still rocks.

Chuck Berry (Seriously, under a rock is no place to live)...

Blues For Hawaiians

The Royal Drifters Rock & Roll group from Hawaii...

Da Kind

S'Why Hard

Angeline and Hawaii's Teen Towners (No bio found)...

Hula Rock and Roll

He wasn't a country boy (hillbilly), so technically doesn't fit the original definition of Rockabilly, "Rock & Roll sung by Country/Hillbilly artists," but the song jumps and I think some would say that this is at least Rockabilly, can the beach party theme qualify it as Hulabilly?

Bob Jaxon...

Beach Party

No discussion of steel guitar and Hawaiian influences in Rock & Roll songs would be complete without a mention of Santo & Johnny Farina. Many of their recorded songs are covers of other artist's hits or popular music of the time, but they did write some of their own tunes, and quite a lot of their music is slower ballads rather than uptempo.

All Night Diner

Sleep Walk (live TV appearance)

Sleep Walk (album version)

Tear Drop My personal favorite.

Slave Girl (aka "Cairo")

Hop Scotch

All of the above songs were composed by Santo and Johnny. And as mentioned before, they were taught Hawaiian steel guitar music and techniques, and recorded Hawaiian themed music.

Harbor Lights

Red Sails In The Sunset

Hawaii (side1) Tracks are; 1. Adventures In Paradise / 2. Blue Hawaii / 3. Pineapple Princess / 4. Sea Shells / 5. Aloha / 6. Reflections

Hawaii (side 2) Tracks are; 1. Hawaiian War Chant / 2. Song Of The Islands / 3. Sweet Lelani / 4. Hawaiian Wedding Song / 5. Isle Of Dreams / 6. Now Is The Hour

Since they would fall under Jungle Style rather than Tiki, I'm sure I'd get cyber-lynched if I dared even bring up Hank Thompson's song Rockin' In The Congo, or Hank Mizell's song Jungle Rock. Ooops... :o

Bear

*Edit - "There are but three "L"s in "Hulabilly," two "L"s be not enough, yet four be too many, yea verily I say unto you that the numbering of the "L"s shall be three, three in total, do not suffer an over abundance of "L"s, neither condone the scarcity of two, a trinity of "L"s is all that is ordered, so sayeth the Bear."
Bear's letter to the Tikiphiles Ch 1 v 3

[ Edited by: Brudda Bear 2012-09-17 20:55 ]

TM

On 2012-08-31 18:36, MaukaHale wrote:

In my opinion, Spike, your band is the first and only hulabilly band.

Have you listened to the Hapa Hillbillies?

http://www.benbonham.com/?section=news

No, I have not. But after listening, I believe they sound more like the band Exotiki...which to my ears, are better then they are.

I stand by what I said. Spike had the idea 8-9 years ago. The Hula Girls is a band where pretty much most of the original songs are a rockabilly/hawaiian mix. A lot of the bands on this thread have done 1 or 2 songs, as a novelty. Spike's entire band, The Hula Girls, is dedicated to this concept.

And I pretty much can bet that in the months before tiki oasis, and after, there will be a slew of bands copying the Hula Girls. Then you will know how influencial they are.

http://soundcloud.com/lucas-vigor/sets/set-3/

"yer jus not tuned into the series of tubes yet, let it soak in".

[ Edited by: lucas vigor 2012-09-01 08:47 ]

J

THANK YOU BEAR !!

I've been waiting for that post for almost 2 years. :)

I just figured there must be someone here on TC who was fan of Country, Rockabilly, and Poly Pop, and could provide the additional musical cross references that you did.

I haven't drilled down into all of the links yet but I'm sure they'll provide a lot of cool breadcrumbs for additional research.

And I'm glad you did that comparison of steel vs. slide, I noticed that Otto made that boo boo as well. :D

"Hula Rock and Roll" by Angeline and Hawaii's Teen Towners was fun. I think that would be a good song for the Ding Dong Devils to cover. I could see either Nepheria or Puka Von Pele doing the lead vocals.

When can Mr. Moto buy you that French Zombie ??

Thanks, mick.
And thank you , John-O for starting this thread. I've been waiting for something like this for a long time too!

Hey Bear, Tear Drop is my personal fav too! I ADORE that song.

BK

Don't forget this one from Buck Stevens
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CC9AqQR8QT0

On 2012-09-01 11:34, JOHN-O wrote:
THANK YOU BEAR !!

I've been waiting for that post for almost 2 years. :)

I just figured there must be someone here on TC who was fan of Country, Rockabilly, and Poly Pop, and could provide the additional musical cross references that you did.

I must have missed this thread when you first started it, sorry it took two years for more songs to be brought to folks attention. Thanks for starting it and keeping it alive until I could mine my music collection and wrack my memory for artists and songs. Still working on it, I know there's more out there. Vague shadowy misty watercolor memories...

Since my father was born and raised in Texas, Country & Western was a part of the aural environment in my youth. Mom was born and raised in SoCal, she liked a pretty wide range of music too. I grew up with quite an eclectic taste in music thanks to my parents tastes.

And I'm glad you did that comparison of steel vs. slide, I noticed that Otto made that boo boo as well. :D

Oy!!

OK, I went back and added "Slack Key Guitar" to the comparison of styles so that people can hear the differences between them. Slack Key style being younger than Hawaiian Steel by a number of decades (to my mind something like 50 years?), it should never be confused with Hawaiian Steel.

"Hula Rock and Roll" by Angeline and Hawaii's Teen Towners was fun. I think that would be a good song for the Ding Dong Devils to cover. I could see either Nepheria or Puka Von Pele doing the lead vocals.

Yeah, there are songs I hear and think "this would be a good one for ... to cover," as well. There's one from the Big Band era that I think The Hula Girls could really do a rocking version of. You have to imagine it re-orchestrated for the band though. It really bounces.

"Tee-um, Tee-um, Tee-i, Tahiti" Cab Calloway & His Orchestra 1938

There were a number of Big Band era standards that were rearranged into Rock & Roll hits way back when... Think about it.

When can Mr. Moto buy you that French Zombie ??

Hopefully sometime soon. :)

On 2012-09-01 12:17, Luckydesigns wrote:
Hey Bear, Tear Drop is my personal fav too! I ADORE that song.

Spike, I'm glad I could share it with more people, so many folks know "Sleep Walk" but have no idea who Santo & Johnny are or that they wrote and recorded other just as awesome (or better in the case of "Tear Drop") songs.

OK, I have some more tunes fer y'all...

Jenks "Tex" Carman (again)...

Sweet Luwanna

Chet Atkins...

Hawaiian Wedding Song On a resonator, no less.

Hawaiian Slack Key

Pu, Uana Hulu (Remembering Gabby) Tribute to Hawaiian Slack Key artist Gabby Pahinui.

Bill Justis...

Tamouré A Tahitian song.

Duane Eddy...

Lost Island

Gidget Goes Hawaiian Yeah, I know...

Tennessee Ernie Ford...

In The Middle Of An Island

Pearly Shells

Ford also recorded an album of Hawaiian songs titled "Aloha"

Bill Nettles...

Hula Hula Woogie This one is fun.

J.D.Orr & The Lonesome Valley Boys (no bio found)...

Hula Hoop Boogie

I'll keep looking...

Bear

*Edit - Fixed link to Cab Calloway song.

[ Edited by: Brudda Bear 2012-09-14 01:49 ]

J

Duane Eddy...

Lost Island

Gidget Goes Hawaiian Yeah, I know...

Cool !! So many musical leaves sprout from his branch...

Hawaiian Steel Guitar --> Early Country --> Western Swing --> Rockabilly --> Duane Eddy --> Ventures --> SURF !!! :)

Otto, please book "The King of Twang" for Oasis 2013 (Hey, if the Untouchables are "Spy" then Duane Eddy is Hulabilly. :D)

Also Bear, I didn't quite get the Poly Pop reference to "Sweet Luwanna" :-?

On 2012-09-17 09:00, JOHN-O wrote:

Duane Eddy...

Cool !! So many musical leaves sprout from his branch...

Hawaiian Steel Guitar --> Early Country --> Western Swing --> Rockabilly --> Duane Eddy --> Ventures --> SURF !!! :)

Otto, please book "The King of Twang" for Oasis 2013 (Hey, if the Untouchables are "Spy" then Duane Eddy is Hulabilly. :D)

JOHN-O,

I'm sure that with his huge interest in Instro Surf music, Jeff(bigtikidude) is probably also a fan of artists like Chet Atkins, Bill Justis and Duane Eddy as most of their music was Instro, and all three were on the charts at one time or another during their decades long careers. Sadly, Atkins and Justis are no longer with us, but I wonder if Jeff has ever considered inviting Eddy or even Junior Brown to his "Surf Guitar 101" event?

On 2012-09-17 09:00, JOHN-O wrote:
Also Bear, I didn't quite get the Poly Pop reference to "Sweet Luwanna" :-?

Yeah... Ol' Jenks "Tex" Carman is a problematical artist. He's one of those guys you really wish at times that you could disavow, but when it comes to Hawaiian musical influences on Country artists, unfortunately he's in the thick of it. His sense of rhythm has been questioned, and the meter of his... Uhh... "Unique" singing style is irregular at best (I won't even attempt to describe his voice), which made him one of the most unlikeliest of stars.

I understand how you may have been unable to pick-up on the Poly-Pop reference of that song, The tune is decidedly "Honky Tonk" in it's musical style, and the spelling of 'Luwanna' making it appear "Trailer Parky," throws another jinx (or should that be "Jenks?") into the mix. It doesn't really transport you to a tropical isle, does it? Yet, if you think abut the more traditional spelling of 'Luana' and can get past his fingernails-on-a-blackboard-like caterwauling (OK, so I came up with a description) to listen to the lyric...

My sweet Luwanna
I love you yet
My sweet Luwanna
I still can't forget
The love light in your eye
The flower in your hair
Your lei of orchids
And sweet music in the air

My sweet Luwanna
With your coal black hair
The scent of gardenia
Was still in the air
When I held you tight
And kissed you goodnight
I left an angel
When I left you there

(rockin' guitar solo here)

My sweet Luwanna
With your coal black hair
The scent of gardenia
Was still in the air
When I held you tight
And kissed you goodnight
I left an angel
When I left you there

As you can see, with it's mention of a flower in her coal black hair, a lei of orchids, the scent of gardenia, coupled with the alternate spelling of 'Luana,' the lyric implies a Polynesian woman despite the Honky Tonk sound of the music, at least to me it does. Honest, I wouldn't intentionally give you a bum steer...

Just to let everyone know, I went through and carefully listened to that song, even backed it up several times on some of the more difficult to make out lines, and faithfully transcribed that lyric just so people could read them. Never let it be said I never "took one" for the TC Ohana. :wink:

Now for one of the reasons everyone has been following this thread, more tunes...

Sonny Cole & The Rhythm Roamers (no bio found)...

Robinson Crusoe Bop - Lyrics I really kinda like this one quite a bit. There has been much debate and speculation over the original inspiration of Defoe's novel. One that has been considered possible is the story of Alexander Selkirk who was stranded for 4 years on one of the Juan Fernández Islands off the Chilean coast in the South Pacific Ocean. I'm going with that one for the purely arbitrary reason of then being able to include this song as Hulabilly on a little bit more than just the "Shipwreck" theme which has loose ties to Tiki. :D

Bashful Brother Oswald...

Dobro Chimes It's eerily similar to "Maui Chimes" or vice versa. A Dobro is a brand name resonator guitar, it can be played like a regular guitar or played flat, Hawaiian Steel style. Resonators are still popular with Hawaiian, Blues, Cajun, and Bluegrass artists to this day. "Uncle Josh" Graves did another version of this tune called "Steel Guitar Chimes" It's almost a chicken/egg conundrum that can only be settled by copyright dates on the music, release dates on recordings, or written accounts of the dates the tunes being first played.

Sailin' To Hawaii (aka Sailing Along To Hawaii) This isn't Brother Oswald playing, but it will let you hear the tune he composed.

Jerry Byrd...

Telling Marty Robbins a story of how Hawaiian Steel style guitar came to be, followed by Kohala March

Unknown Hula (Jerry's Tune ? )

Maui Chimes

The Sea And Me Written by Jerry Byrd.

Steelin' The Chimes

And the hunt continues...

Bear

*Edit - Corrected minor blips

[ Edited by: Brudda Bear 2012-09-17 20:41 ]

Love that this thread started. As fan of RAB since the 80's but pretty new to the tiki scene, I always thought there was a way to blend my love of rockabilly and 1950's poly pop culture but was not aware of anyone doing so. Like I said, I'm new to tiki culture. Anyway, in 2011 I got to see the Hula Girls play at TO 2011 at the car show and realized instantly that they were the sound and aesthetic that I'd hoped existed. Now with TO 2013 being the hulabilly theme, I feel this is the fried peanut butter and banana sandwich I'd been waiting for. The Hula Girls are a no brainer, but is there anyone else still alive that would fit the bill for the theme? There are numerous rockabilly bands we could all list, but it doesn't seem like any as influenced by tiki culture as the Hula Girls. Maybe Big Sandy/ fly rite boys since he was at TO 2011 and I saw a dvd where he was wearing an aloha shirt and lei....Total stretch I know.

[ Edited by: stevenjames 2012-09-18 16:49 ]

[ Edited by: stevenjames 2012-09-19 11:17 ]

O
Otto posted on Fri, Oct 5, 2012 1:00 AM

On 2012-08-29 11:00, JOHN-O wrote:

Spike defined a genre before anyone realized it was a genre !! :)

He should have trademarked the term "Hulabilly" to get paid royalties on Tiki Oasis 2013. :D

John-O,
Once again, great work defining the theme!! Great set list.
Not sure where I first heard the term Hulabilly, but have long been interested in this niche genre referred to as "Tikibilly" by Del Villareal http://www.facebook.com/del.villarreal
who I met in 1996. There was also a band called Hulabilly about 8 years ago.
The reason I used Hulabilly instead of Tikibilly is I didn't want to pay royalties to Del!

ha ha ha

T

I want to hear Duane Eddy jamming with Santo & Johnny on some tiki tunes!

neat to see this thread (even though it seems i am a few years late in finding it).

i dove head first into figuring out hillbilly hawaiian tunes for hooptylau in 2006 - when we explored pollardville (the old stockton islander building which turned into "chicken kitchen" before it was closed down/torn down).

this was the list of songs on the hooptylau cd i made for the event. i'm pretty sure you have all covered these songs already in this thread;

1. hawaiian cowboy ~ slim whitman
  2. saddle tramp ~ marty robbins
  3. hawaiian war chant ~ bob wills
  4. rhumba boogie ~ ernest tubb & hank snow
  5. hula rock ~ hank snow the singing ranger & his rainbow ranch boys
  6. beyond the reef ~ santo & johnny
  7. bop a hula ~ jimmy c. newman
  8. hawaii's calling me ~ marty robbins
  9. my little grass shack in kealekekua hawaii ~ teresa brewer
    10.hilo march ~ hula hawaiians
    11.geisha girl ~ hank locklin
    12.pearly shells ~ slim whitman
    13.lovely hula hands ~ junior brown
    14.sweet leilani ~ jack de mello
    15.my hula baby ~ cowboy copas
    16.hawaiian bells ~ marty robbins
    17.hula love ~ buddy knox
    18.choo choo ch'boogie ~ bill haley
    19.my isle of golden dreams ~ chet atkins & hank snow
    20.everybody does it in hawaii ~ hank snow
    21.hillbilly hula girl ~ junior brown
    22.now is the hour (maori farewell song) ~ burl ives
    23.anarchy in the uk ~ ukelele orchestra of great britain (not exactly in theme, but i couldnt resist)

i wish i could someday catch spike's band. it's sad that we were in school together and never knew of eachother (and obviously were the ones pissing off eachother at the thrift stores for grabbing the tiki mugs before the other).

interesting to see TO this year to go this theme! ha! to make it more authentic, they should hold it in modesto.

Loved when Jack Costanzo was there to talk and perform at TO11. Wish we could have similar Hulabilly pioneers at TO13. I'm thinking someone like Steel Guitar Hall of Famer Herb Remington who not only was a member of Bob Wills' band but had his own Hawaiian band. Any other suggestions for special guests, even if they don't perform?

HT

On 2012-08-21 16:49, Bill5925 wrote:
I've dragged my mother to T.O. the past three years. Sorry for all the ankles I've clipped with her wheelchair! I really hope she's well enough to attend next year. She's played country steel guitar since the 1950's. And if you play steel, you gotta play some Hawaiian. One of her best groups was Wild Oats (http://www.ibiblio.org/hillwilliam/BGdiscography/?v=fullrecord&albumid=6645) but she also led a pretty wild all-girl group - The Farmer's Daughters - in the 1970's. The crowds, heat and hassle were getting to her a little this year, until she heard the theme for next year. Now she's looking forward to it! See you then!!

Can she still play? I remember seeing you guys there, by the way, and thought it was awesome that being older, and in a wheelchair, wouldn't stop someone from rocking! You tell your mama to keep on keepin on, it sounds like she's a real cool cat!

Pages: 1 2 51 replies