Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Sneak Peak at Tiki Magazine Summer '10 Cover

Pages: 1 38 replies

N

Aloha,

The new issue of Tiki Magazine (Summer '10, Vol. 6, No.1) has arrived in San Diego and is set to make its debut at Tiki Caliente 2 this weekend. Here's a sneak peak of the cover by Scott "Flounder" Sheidly. Looking forward to seeing the TC Ohana this summer at several events (Tiki Caliente, The Hukilau, Tiki Kon, Tiki Oasis, and possible more). This issue is our largest to date (80 pages plus cover).

Mahalo,

Nick

B

Awesome! Love that cover, Flounder YOU ROCK!!
I've been having Tiki Magazine withdrawals for months already!!
Mahalo's Nick

L

That's an awesome illustration Flounder!
I can't wait to pick up my copy this weekend at Tiki Caliente.

T

Which one of us is that supposed to be running into the place for a cocktail ?

I like that...it's out of characeter for a tiki painting,,,very cool.

Very nice! Hey, that A-frame reminds me of sumthin'...

Can't wait, though I don't know how you can beat the previous issue! That was so chock-full of great articles, photos, art, info.... and no wonder with such a list of venerable contributors! Not one miss. Thank you for keeping the flame burning!

Where's the Like Button?

D'oh!

Wrong website.

Good Stuff Flounder and Nick!!!

T

That looks great! Good job Flounder!

T
teaKEY posted on Fri, Jun 4, 2010 3:53 AM

On 2010-06-03 19:32, Beachbumz wrote:
Awesome! Love that cover, Flounder YOU ROCK!!
I've been having Tiki Magazine withdrawals for months already!!
Mahalo's Nick

DOUBLE THAT

I'm cover-to-cover with this magazine every issue!

S

It looks great. I will probably just stand by my mailbox ( mai-tai in hand) and wait for it to arrive.

H

On 2010-06-03 21:30, bigbrotiki wrote:
Very nice! Hey, that A-frame reminds me of sumthin'...

This?

Or should I say, this?

Very close, I was thinking that too at first, because of the bold patterns...but it's more inspired by another, equally iconic image from the BOT:

This and the rendering of the Kon-Tiki above are on my list of what believe to be the ten most enigmatic images of Tiki past, so no wonder they have been an inspiration to artists and designers. I have seen it in Doug Horne's early work, and much earlier, in this, another icon of Tiki art in itself:

Flounders tiki work is awesome. Great to see a new piece by him

Nick - I love tiki mag, you have done a fantastic job since issue #1. Looking forward to getting it in the mail!

I agree, and just want to point out that the above "sourcing" is in no way a finger-pointing. Tiki art then and now has always drawn from its predecessors, in a form of ancestor worship, Tiki art is about perpetuating -and by that honoring- what our forefathers have done. Flounder has always done that in his work, expertly so, at the same time making the new art pieces he created his very own.

Great job on the cover Nick!! When will the June issue be on sale at the LA stores such as Wacko and the 8 Ball store in Burbank? I won't be at the Caliente event unfortunately.

G
GROG posted on Fri, Jun 4, 2010 10:44 AM

:D OK, Grog make classic Poly pop his own, too.

A wonderful and throughly relaxing cover. I can't wait for the new issue to arrive in my mailbox. Thanks, Nicktiki

Is it me ? Or does the tiki in the cover resemble Strong Bad from the Homestar Runner web cartoons ?

BB

I thought it was Dead-Pool's mask.

HJ

It arrived 11th June on the USA central coast. Man this mag should be a monthly!!!!!

SO good for morale!

Is it just me, or is there an uncanny similarity in between Mrs. Bungalow's Ophra mag and this issue of Tiki Mag? Is it the colors or what? Somethin' up here... you be the judge.

The new issue is GREAT Nick!! Got mine at Wacko yesterday! 8 Ball also probably has it for sale!

Mine arrived about four days ago in perfect shape. (I really appreciate that subscriber copies are mailed in envelopes. Thanks!) I've thumbed through it but haven't had a chance to sit and actually read it yet. Even so, I can tell it's a great issue already.

I could not resist, so I grabbed a copy of the new edition from the Tiki Magazine booth at Hukilau. Got home and my copy was waiting for me here at the bungalow. Ooops, I have two copies. This is a great edition from cover to cover!!!

Wait, did I read correctly, no new issue till Spring 2011? Nooooooooooooo

Is that really true? No issues until then? I don't know if I can wait that long! Although, it'll be worth the wait if you're doing an article on Walt Disney and tiki!

Great Issue Nick!

I'm pretty bummed we gotta wait till next year for another Issue as well. If anything what about doing a Tiki Magazine Blog? At least to spotlight events, and maybe even new openings as far as bars/restaurants go?

I can't wait another year for my beloved Tiki Mag!!

F
Fugu posted on Wed, Jun 16, 2010 11:42 AM

The new issue is fantastic. Lots of really great articles and photos.

Nick, if you don't mind me asking, what was the deciding factor in fewer issues per year? Just curious.

So he can fill it to the brim with great articles like the last two issues! :D

This one really takes the cake, man, so much good stuff: The Bali Hai article, James' last Tiki Town piece (-Sniff!-), Kari's article on Jeff Berry...my fave is of course JP's piece on Barney West, with all these never before seen photos of Barney and his Tiki Junction that JP unearthed!:

Which just goes to show that, even ten years after the BOT, there is ALWAYS MORE to be found in the dusty annals of Tiki culture!

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2010-06-17 00:16 ]

T

Here is my favorite tiki Blog http://tikitalk.astropad.com/

I guess your right BigBroTiki, It's not a bad trade off to have a bigger issue fewer times a year! Either way, I'm happy!

Another cover worth framing.
Way to go Flounder!

The Barney West article is killer. Great issue.

DC

T

Another great issue. thanx Nick

T

Yeah, great articles! Barney West Photos and article are great! Thanks JP!

N

Thank you everyone for the kind words. The reason for less issues this year is because I went through a difficult personal situation that demanded most of my attention. But, I'm fine and we're gearing up for 3 issues in 2011. I'd also like to join in saying that the writing on this issue was superb. Hats off to JP, Kari, Andy, James T.,Matt, Jeff, Will, etc. Looking forward to seeing everyone at Oasis.

Pages: 1 38 replies