Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Ink-n-Iron Festival, June 12-14 , Queen Mary, Long Beach, CA

Pages: 1 37 replies

Not pure Tiki but definite crossover appeal.

Ink-n-Iron Festival
June 11-13, 2010
Aboard the Queen Mary in Long Beach, CA

Live Music includes
Classic Country (Merle Haggard)
Classic Punk (X)
Psychodelic Freakout (Rev Horton Heat)
Rockabilly and more!!!

Tatoo Artist!
Custom Car Show!
Pin-up pageant !
Movies on the Green with "Faster Pussycat, Kill, Kill!"
A Russian Submarine!
One of the stages is called the Tiki Drive-Inn so there is something tiki in it.

[->>King Bushwich 33rd

ill be there for X, stiff little fingers, aggrolites, hepcat, and swingin' utters

should be rad!

Me too! Pretty cool line-up on Saturday. I don't know how in the world there is a tiki drive-in stage and The Hula Girls aren't on it....
The booking for the smaller bands on that show has always been kinda odd to me.

I'll be at Ink and Iron, all 3 days, although I'm exhausted from Tiki Caliente!

Looks like an awesome lineup on the 11th...Merle Haggard, the Rev, and my personal fave, Wayne Hancock. I missed him a few months ago in Anaheim, and I'm bummed I'm missing him again. I'd definitely recommend seeing his set.
And a word of warning: watch out for parking! We got directed to the overflow by the aquarium last time, (which I assumed would be validated) had to wait for a bus ride to and from the concert, and then got charged $18 for parking...and they didn't take credit cards! Huge bust.

Classic Tatoo artist!

At the festival will be Outer Limits Tatoo. They took over the studio run by Bert Grimm who had the oldest running tattoo studio in the United States. His shop was there when the Pike amusement park was operating in Long Beach, CA.

News Article: Ink-n-Iron

This year
Ink-N-Iron Festival 2011
June 10-12
Buzzcocks
Fishbone
Skatalites
The Vandals
The Adolescents
The Sonics

BigHo and myself (Gallery De La Cruz) will be hosting the art show for the event! So stop in and BRING US A DAMN DRINK! I mean, say "HI!" You might be suplised to see some of your favorite TC artists represented

DZ

OK, so who's vending & who's going?

I would not mind catching the Buzzcocks
wish X was here this year.

CTiT

[ Edited by: Chuck Tatum is Tiki 2011-06-05 21:48 ]

K

We'll be there. We missed Viva this year so we're really looking forward to it.

We don't sell at events anymore, however our friend Bridget who owns Liberty on 4th in L.B. will be vending (vintage clothing) there, and has a bunch of Mike's tiki & Moai pendants for sale.

~ Terra

Tikis by Big Mike
(310) 415-1850
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tikis-By-Big-Mike/146901388656181

Chuck Tatum is Tiki wrote:

wish X was here this year.

CTiT

'X' just played two nights back-to-back at House Of Blues in Anaheim.

Can't believe no one's excited about The Paladins!!! ....They are one of So Cal's best roots band EVER! (and the bassist Thomas Yearsley is also the fontman/steel guitar player in Exotiki)

Doubt Skatalites are playing due to Lloyd Knibbs passing away a few weeks back. :(

LOVE The Paladins.

O

On 2011-05-12 11:16, Daves Not Home wrote:
BigHo and myself (Gallery De La Cruz) will be hosting the art show for the event! So stop in and BRING US A DAMN DRINK! I mean, say "HI!" You might be suplised to see some of your favorite TC artists represented

i will take a drink too, but not a DAMN one

To describe The 2012 Ink-N-Iron Festival, you need lots of exclamation points!

Another year, another Ink-N-Iron Fest, another colossal lineup!

Ink-N-Iron Festival June 8-10, 2012

The Misfits! Suicidal Tendencies! TSOL! Pennywise! Dave Alvin! Adolescents! Corrosion of Conformity!Torch! Black Cobra! She Wants Revenge! The Mission Creeps! Slackers! Aggrolites! Guana Batz! Calabrese!Rezurex! The Palominos! Marti Brom ! Face to Face! Polecats! Quakes! Koffin Kats! The Avery Wolves!

Lions Drag Strip diorama! Mockups of the shops of George Barris and Ed 'Big Daddy" Roth!

Iggy!

And don't forget sublime!

Two thumbs down.

On 2013-05-24 15:40, lunavideogames wrote:

Two thumbs down.

This is the thread for the 2012 Ink-N-Iron. The 2013 Ink-N-Iron thread has Sublime in all their glory just for you lunavideogames, lol! :wink:

On 2013-05-24 15:40, lunavideogames wrote:

Two thumbs down.

I am old guy who has been away from the local music scene for a couple of decades or more.
Why Sublime bad?

Just have to hear them everyday nonstop. It gets old.

Not trying to rip on anyone's music, just being sarcastic.

Edit- I love all the punk bands in the lineup this year and I would try to make it if sublime wasn't there, so I am bitter. :)

[ Edited by: lunavideogames 2013-05-24 16:47 ]

King B the 33rd, just my loud mouth opinion "Sublime" Bad!

we like a lot of the same music, so go to your favorite music site & give them a listen
& judge for yourself, then come back here & rip on them if they
leave the same bad taste in the old "Music Mouth" :)

J

Tattoo ??....

Billy Zoom: "Don't want one".

T
TNT posted on Fri, May 24, 2013 8:49 PM

It would be pretty easy to skip Sublime, they close the show for Friday. They only play once so that leaves most of the 3 days of the festival to enjoy. Iggy closes the show for Saturday. Its a great event if you like music, cars, burlesque, carnivals, tattoos, interesting people from afar and near, art, cocktails on a beautiful art deco ship, beautiful weather, people watching, dining and shopping.

Sublime did film song at Sam's Sea Food....

YouTube: Sublime

and it's amazing how many posts here on TikiCentral have the work Sublime in it. Go to Search and enter Sublime. (yea, yea, I know, most have nothing to do with the band)

[ Edited by: King Bushwich the 33rd 2013-05-24 21:12 ]

So it looks like Sublime is unrecommended by many TikiCentralers. Here's a recommendation on how to maximize your weekend pleasure on June 7-9. Do NOT go to the Ink-N-Iron festival on Friday and ,instead, rest up all day. Then Saturday, wake up early and head over to Don the Beachcombers, oops, I mean Don the Beachcomber in Huntington Beach, CA at 11am for the International Tiki Market Place. It's only about a 10-15 minute drive from Long Beach, CA. Have some of Don the Beachcomber food and drinks and enjoy the company of many of the tiki ohana who post stuff here on TikiCentral and many who will be vending.

And, for musical entertainment, you have live Hapa Haole music by the Smokin' Menehunes and Kimo's Hawaiian Steel.
Much more preferrable to Sublime.

Then when the International Tiki Market Place concludes at 4pm, head over to the Ink-N-Iron festival which will be happening till Midnight.

TS

I will finally make an Ink-N-Iron show. I got Icky Vicky, my '51 Ford, up and running strong. I'm going to be at INI Saturday and Sunday for as long as I can stand it. Should be a good party. Hope to see some Tiki Central ohana there.
Tiki Slob...

Great performance by the Saturday headliners at the Ink N Iron festival

YouTube: Iggy and the Stooges

YouTube: I wanna be yer dog

Kind of strange having a big picture of Princess Di on the side of the stage.

If you want to see the Friday night headliners, you gotta search for it and post it yourself. I ain't gonna touch it.

This Saturday the Hula Girls play on a stage surrounded by hot rodders, tattoo artist and burlesque women. In other words, performing in their natural environment to an audience of their peers. :D

And Coop! Robert Williams!

Thanks, King. We can't wait!

Such a funky mixture of acts, hope Wanda Jackson's health problems
are behind her this year.

Lineup update which includes The Hula Girls!

2015 is last year for the Ink-N-Iron in Long Beach, CA

Orange County Register: Ink-N-Iron

Festival will continue in Nashville, TN

We're back! Friday night, in the gorgeous Art Deco bar on the bow of the ship, The Observation Bar. Hope to see you there for the last ever Long Beach Ink N Iron. What a shame to be losing such a rad event.

Pages: 1 37 replies