Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

Goat Rock!

Pages: 1 11 replies

W

Goat Rock Term for a rock/pop band with members over 50 that continues putting out music even though most people only listen to the bands early music.

Kings of Goat Rock: The Rolling Stones, The Beach Boys, Paul McCartney.

Fairly new to Goat Rock: Morrisey, The Cure.

Brand new Goat Rockers: U2, R.E.M.

The key to being a Goat Rock band: Members are over 50 and people have to be fairly indifferent about the band's new music and early fans probably don't listen to the band's new music.

Just because an artist is over 50 doesn't make him/her/them Goat Rockers. If the music is well received and generally considered as strong as any the artist(s) have ever put out they're probably not Goat Rockers.

"But why 50? 50 isn't that old!"

It is in rock-n-roll years. Deal with it.

Taken by Iggi. (Maybe you know here, maybe you don't.)

Dylan should be on the list...
Surviving Led Zeppelin members
Carlos Santana

saw the "English Beat"
a few weeks back.
Dave Wakeling is the only remaining member
and BOY! did he sweat a LOT!

GOAT ROCK =Medleys of their greatest hits!
Friggin medleys....

How about members of Pink Floyd - one of my faves.

Couldn't resist:

http://www.wdbj7.com/global/story.asp?s=12647187

DUI Checkpoint nabs 3 drunk drivers and a goat

It was a routine night at a sobriety check point in Bedford County Friday. Until one deputy heard knocking sounds coming from a car trunk.

Bedford County Deputy Allison Key asked the driver, 32-year-old Fiona Ann Enderdy, what was in her trunk. Enderdy replied, "A Goat!" She wasn't lying. Deputy Key had the trunk opened and there thrashing around was a goat, bound at the feet and panting heavily in the sweltering heat. An animal control officer taking part in the DUI Checkpoint said the trunk still registered at 94 degrees even after being open for 10 minutes.

Enderdy told Deputy Key she bought the goat from a farmer as a gift for her four Kenyan passengers who currently live in Lynchburg. She also told the deputy that in the United Kingdom, where Enderdy claimed to be from, that carrying a goat in your trunk is an acceptable practice.

Enderdy, a Washington, D.C. resident, was charged with "Cruelty to an Animal" and released. The goat was given some water and a check up and sent to the Bedford County Pound.

Bedford County authorities stopped a total of 14,906 vehicles between 7:00 p.m. to 11:30 p.m. on June 11. 82 of those turned into arrests or citations. Three of the 82 were DUIs, one was a drug bust and one was the aforementioned goat cruelty case.

The following government agencies participated in the DUI Checkpoint on 460 near the Bedford-Campbell County line: Bedford Police Department, Lynchburg Police Department, Campbell County Sheriff's Office, Amherst County Sheriff's Office and the Virginia State Police.

Because radio so sucks in Washington DC these days, I find myself changing stations every few minutes to avoid listening to songs I'm so sick of hearing 10 times a day 24/7. One of the stations that provides some relief is a classic rock station Big 100.3. At least, they have more to choose from and provide a greater variety, albeit nothing new.

They are continually advertising concerts by artists from the 60s and 70s; Peter Frampton, Steve Miller, and others I can't remember right now, maybe Crosby, Stills, and Nash (without Young)...

I disagree about Santana as being a Goat Rocker only because the original group known as "Santana" is not the same as what Carlos Santana has been doing for the past several years (collabs). Of course, when it comes to his solos, it is more or less the same guitar of yesteryear.

I would guess that Credence Clearwater Revival, ZZ Top, The Who, the Eagles, Van Halen, Peter Frampton, and Steve Miller would all be Goat Roakers.

To some extent, I think Bruce Springstein would possibly fit, but I don't know if he has any new stuff that people are getting into at all. Same thing with Aerosmith.

Frikken English

[ Edited by: The Gnomon 2010-06-15 11:07 ]

What about Tim and the Enchanters?
(He even dressed up as a goat)
Best pyrotechnic show I have ever seen.

He even made flames come out of his flute.

Rush would be a goat rock band.

While what I am about to say shocks even me, I would say that the assement that littlelosttiki made about "Surviving Led Zeppelin members" is wrong. Them Crooked Vultures features John Paul Jones and its really a good album. The rest of the members can suck it!

Old punk rockers.... is there any group MORE tragic?

their anger has been replaced by money and spare tires along their midriffs....

I'll have to check out that Crooked vultures band

but no more travelin Wilburys crap pleeeeez!

I have a co-worker who always goes to see Blue Oyster Cult anytime they are in SoCal. Another just got back from the KISS concert in London. Both of those bands must qualify as Goat Rock!

The 60's & 70's British Invasion.
Too big of a list to type.

As much as I love Cheap trick....I'd have to file them under Goat Rock, Big Time...and I LOVE Cheap Trick.

KISS is another one, and with non original members to boot...and I love them too.

I must say, I did really like the "Flaming Pie" album by Paul McCartney, but him being an ex-Beatle...how could he NOT be Goat Rock?
Somehow , I still think he transcends that label.

Pages: 1 11 replies