Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Which coconut rum is the best?

Pages: 1 24 replies

I have grown fond of the Lei Lei Volcano recipe I got from the Bum's book, but now I can't find Cruzan Coconut Rum since Bevmo stopped selling the big bottles. Has anyone tried Tortuga Coconut and how does it compare to Cruzan? Malibu is out of the question and someday I will probably just start adding Coco Lopez to a light rum, but until then I am wondering if anyone has an opinion on Tortuga?

I'm quite a fan of Don Q's Coconut Rum, in fact I just made an Aloha Screwdriver with it! Yumm

Go for Belmont Estate Gold Coconut Rum - St Kitts & Nevis

Cruzan.....so far

I like Cruzan's and keep a bottle of it on hand, but I kind of like the taste of Whaler's Killer Coconut better. Anyone try this stuff? Am I out to lunch?

I prefer to make my own!!!

I find the premade to be syurpy/sweet tasting, I wish Cruzan sold the 80 proof Coconut on the main land that I would get while living in the VI.

Using Cruzan Light and Coconut extract I put 4 drops from an eye dropper to 1 oz rum(ymmv)into an old Pyrat Pistol bottle, makes a great 80 proof Coconut Rum.

edit: revised measure

Why don't we mix us a little salad?

[ Edited by: Beach Bum Scott 2010-06-23 21:24 ]

Man, that sounds like a great idea.
I think I see a mini-project on the horizon this weekend.

Has anyone tried the Tortuga Coconut?

Wow, I made a few drinks using the Cruzan Coconut Rum mini bottles and was more than a little disappointed with the artificial aftertaste. The mini bottles were the only Cruzan Coconut Bevmo had butI found a full size bottle in a dirty liquor store last night and man, what a difference. I made the Lei Lei Volcano and had none of the artificial aftertaste using the rum from the full size bottle. Like night and day. A really tasty, light drink. Has anyone else had a bad experience using plastic mini bottles?

[ Edited by: SuperEight 2010-06-24 00:33 ]

A

I had a bit of Tortuga Coconut while in Grand Cayman and liked enough to bring some home. It's still 80 proof and didn't have the overly sweet taste of Malibu.

J

Super 8 - I think it's the plastic, not the contents.

It is indeed the plastic. Liquor in plastic bottles do have a problem with picking up chemicals from the bottles. The effect is not readily noticeable if the liquid has not been in the bottle for long, but if it's something that has been sitting in a warehouse or on a shelf for a while the taste difference will be apparent. Most package liquors in plastic are consumed pretty fast and are usually of the cheaper brands like Popov, Captain Morgan or Smirnoff. Popular items that move a lot of stock fast. But 50mls can get pushed aside on the shelf or bought by the store in large quantities so that there is the chance of it going unpurchased for many months. There is less of a chance with purchasing the larger bottles in plastic but the taste issue is still common. As for Tortuga, I haven't had a chance to sample it yet.

I Like the Cruzan Coconut Rum

I Like the Cruzan Coconut Rum

Not again! sorry

[ Edited by: Chuck Tatum is Tiki 2011-05-14 18:07 ]

Double post for some reason?

[ Edited by: Chuck Tatum is Tiki 2011-05-14 18:06 ]

T

I know I'll have my head handed to me for this, but The Tikiyaki Jungle Jetsetter was originally concocted with Malibu, and still tastes best that way.

I also like it in the LeiLani Volcano, which was the inspiration for the Jungle Jetsetter.

So,I'll be a blasphemer and say malibu.

On 2011-05-25 06:34, tikiyaki wrote:
...so,I'll be a blasphemer and say Malibu.

Ever since he brought down the roof at Caliente Tropics he thinks he's some sort of god! :lol:

I used to like Bacardi Coconut, then I switched to Cruzan. Recently I blind tasted 13 different coconut rums to find out which I liked best without benefit of bottle prejudice. The results were very illuminating! You can read the results here if you're so inclined.

http://inuakena.com/spirit-reviews/coconut-rum-challenge/

Okole maluna,
Josh

H

Interesting research tofukolele, my next coconut rum will be Bacardi. I also liked how you had different recipes for the coconut rum. I know I don't use much of my Cruzan coconut rum because I don't know what to do with it. Thanks for all the info.

Does anyone know where they sell Cruzan coconut in San Diego? I have looked for it everywhere but I haven't found any yet.

He mea iki, Hiltiki! Since this was posted, I have heard from some folks in Florida that have tasted a coconut rum called Brinley Gold Coconut Rum from St. Kitts. Apparently it destroys the mainstream competition, but it enjoys limited distribution. I see that it's available at DrinkUpNY for $20 -- might have to order a bottle!

http://www.drinkupny.com/Brinley_Gold_Coconut_p/s0395.htm

Huli pau!

J

thanks for the good info! I loved the testing process.. :) Well done!

Tofu- great research...

My favorite is Coruba

Jon

Pages: 1 24 replies