Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Collecting Tiki Matchbooks

Pages: 1 22 replies

Thanks to Basement Kahuna I am now slightly obsessed with collecting tiki matchbooks. I have found some amazing ones lately but seem to pass up the ones that is just the cover only - never folded or used as the actual book.

I just like to have the complete matchbook - well, it doesn't even have to be complete, used is fine. I found a bunch that I posted recently https://tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=2986&forum=5&5
and the guy at the antique store pointed out to me that several of the books were dated on the inside by the person that originally had them - most from the 60's. I loved that!

I know a lot of us collect them so I want to know your thoughts on this. I guess if you're going to place them in a case and it's the real mccoy there's no point if the matches are there or not? Or is there?

Yee-Haw & Aloha,

The World of Tiki Kiliki

[ Edited by: tiki_kiliki on 2003-05-07 15:23 ]

On 2003-05-07 15:21, tiki_kiliki wrote:
... I guess if you're going to place them in a case and it's the real mccoy there's no point if the matches are there or not? Or is there?

It's really a personal preference whether you leave the matches in or not. Most collectors remove the matches UNLESS it's a feature matchbook, with something printed on the matches themselves. But, the primary benefit to removing the matches is storage space. I can't see your tiki matchbook collection growing to hundreds, so space probably won't be a problem.

Got any extras you want to trade for a full pack from Venus in Las Vegas, with the Shag artwork?

T

Oh my, are you hatin' on my matchbooks? Don't be no empty matchbook hata. These are some fine little incendiary device covers.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3222818224

Here endeth the shameless plug for my auction. (But not quite so shameless as Midnite)

I leave the matches in all my matchbooks.....as is. I also have several extras of the Shag matchbooks.

Shucked or not doesn't really bother me. It seems to matter little to the collector crowd...but you gotta like it your own way. Whatever appeals to your Chi!

I'm like Tiki Kiliki, I recently started collecting matchbooks too. My question is how do you guys display your matchbooks?

The Monitor

Get some 6.99 ryker mounts (the 10 x 14 size).

Sorry for asking a stupid question, but what are rykers and where can i get them?

The Monitors

S

I thought about putting them on a fishing line. Just close the book around the line. I am not sure where you string this line. Maybe across the bottom of a shelf where your mugs are.

Look what I found as I was going through boxes in the garage.

Kelbo's Matchbook Cover.

Here's a better picture.

And the back cover.

Here's another interesting matchbook cover I came across in the garage. Disneyland Frontier matchbook, the Country Bear Jamboree Bears.

I wonder if this place still exists. "Dick's Last Resort" Says: You can't kill a man born to hang.

I had to modify the back cover to make it PG-13.

Hi Cheekygirl, I think Dick's Last Resort is still in San Diego and from what I hear it literally is your last resort if you decide to go.

How many more magic boxes do you have in your garage?

G
GROG posted on Sun, Feb 25, 2007 2:37 PM

Now THAT'S a loaded question!

I did the string thing on one of my smallest mug shelf. Good way to display them other than jammed in an album. That bright light for pic taking sure kills the mood.

Grog, you're a cheeky one.

I'll check through the "Magic Box" and see what other goodies I find.

I scored a bag of 1950's american matchbooks at a antiques fair for only £1.50, but when i opened them i found that the person who had collected the matchbooks on his holiday, also collected the bars of soap from the hotels he stayed at.

Yuck 50 year old bars of soap which had leeched soapyness through out the bag.

Good idea uncle trav on how you displayed your matchbooks.

T-Bird.

I was glad to see this thread and am posting some of my "Tiki" matchbooks covers. Most of them are packed away, but I did have some in an album and a couple laying around. Sorry about the flash...I am tired after being in Chicago for a week and this was the best I could do for now...Enjoy!

Heathman's Aloha Room Portland Oregon

Kau Kau Seattle Washington

New Emma Cafe Honolulu Hawaii

Mai Kai Fort Lauderdale Florida

Coral Reef Sacramento California

Kona Kai Club San Diego California

Leilani Brookfield Wisconsin

Tiki Bob's San Francisco California

The Islander Los Angeles California

Trader Vic's Scottsdale Arizona

Trader Island Corona Del Mar California

Royal Tahitian Ontario and Clarmont

South Pacific Hallandale Florida

Luau Miami Beach Florida

Royal Tahitian Ontario and Clarmont

Coconut Grove Los Angeles

The Polynesian Walteria California

Harvey's Lake Tahoe Nevada (Sneaky Tiki)

The Waikikian Honolulu Hawaii

Kowloon Los Angeles California

Dobb's House Luau Atlanta Georgia, Charlotte North Carolina, Houston Texas, Memphis Tennesse, Birmigham Alabama, Dallas Texas, Lexington Kentucky, Miami Florida and Orlando Florida!

Mahola and Peace Out,

Psycho Tiki D (I know I am and I'm on FIRE)!

Nice displays and pix of those matchbook covers. Just prompted me to think about picking up matches everywhere I go now. Free & Fabulous...can't go wrong there, I'm sure I won't be frequenting antique shows/stores buying any (we will see how long that lasts). :D

some intresting match packs I found on the weekend...

[ Edited by: TIKIVILLE 2009-06-18 14:58 ]

Pages: 1 22 replies