Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Freak Show @ 2010 San Diego County Fair ! Alive! One Day Only!

Pages: 1 11 replies

This Fathers Day June 20th why not treat pops to a spectacle of strange and curious living human oddities...

Yes, Freaky Boutiki has been invited to carve in exhibition for the amazment and delight of The San Diego County Fair's 30,000 spectators.

Witness with your own eyes the carving skills of Freaky Boutiki's congress of whittling wonders...

Wild Bill Collins

Meiko The Fijian Mermaid

The Amazing Omar: Male Medusa

Three Legged Heath

Hodaddy The Wolf Boy

Erik The Red: Bearded Man (also has two livers)

Just follow the midway to the San Diego Pavillion and say Aloha!

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2010-06-17 14:53 ]

ALIVE!!!!!

WAY TO GO!
WHAT A GIG
AND RIGHT DOWN THE BLOCK!

DIDN'T KNOW ERIK HAD 2 LIVERS
INCREDIBLE!

I'm in the freak show! :D

Kinny, this is a prime opportunity for one of your patented poster chops.

Mahalo Kinny! I was quite honored to be asked and willbe happy to represent my beach with my local tiki buddies.

Here's a piece i will be working on at the Fair. It is a colaboration with Wild Bill Collins. He roughed out a marq with chain and chisel and I am hybridizing the little fellow with Maori patterns and inlays before giving it back to Bill for final touches. This piece will soon be on display in Freaky Boutiki Gallery as part of Tiki Island 4/ Beyond The Reef art show to be officially announced later this week.

:o :o :o I Love It!

ARRSOME collaboration you two!

H
Heath posted on Sun, Jun 20, 2010 8:04 PM

Thank you all for a fun filled day!
Made me remember why I started carving in the first place.

Big mahalo to Meiko for the band-aid, without which I most likely would not have survived!

Thanx Kinny!!

Lotsa fun at this event!!!! Already looking forward to next year.

We drove onto the fairground hella-early while the place was still virtually deserted: Past the sleepy Carney village, Turkey Leg stands and straight down the midway to the center of the racetrack and the San Diego Pavilion where we would carve for the day. I apologise for the lack of Meiko pics. I don't know what happened. I know she was there. I saw her with my own eyes. She even showed me her Tacone; a taco shaped like an ice cream cone. I promise to move faster with the camera next time!

Turkey Legatorium

First casualty. This minor wound before we even unloaded is probably still bleeding...

Heath begins what will be another killer Hawaiian.

A fine tiki Tattoo stops to watch us carve.

Omar begins a Tangaroa.

I'm pretty sure thats Meiko just above Erik's hat and Omar's Dredlock top knot.

Erik tackles a chunk of driftwood still covered in mollusks!

Meiko's fun pendants drew alot of attention as usual.

Bill burning his project for the day.

OH Happy Birthday Bill!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A fine day. Corn dogs all around.

B

Cool! The Chop-Chops have invaded the Fair! I missed y'all by one day.

Speaking of corn dogs, what ever happened to that corn dog I carved into a Tiki that one day, Hank?

Bowie

Ha!!!

Meiko says it got "accidentally tossed" during a defrosting of the fridge. I'm not so sure it was an accident. Can you believe people just throw out fine art like that? Hmph!

I thought of you when Meiko's folks, who also attended the Fair the day we carved, returned from a walk with stories of the Moby Dick of all corn dogs. Apparently a booth was selling Jumbo (Costco sized) corndogs for $10.00 a piece!

I'll follow that giant Corn Dog around the Horn, and around the Norway maelstrom, and around perdition's flames before I give him up.

TO

Aloha nui loa to all of my dear tiki artist at home and abroad. I hope you all enjoyed the pics from the fair. Don't miss out on the fun @TheFreakyBoutiki
this 4th of July, I will be there to meet and greet familiar and new faces.
Hope to see you there, and a big ALOHA to every one reading this memo.
p.s. mahalo to Ashlie Wood whom inspired me to carve,who loves you baby.

Looks like great fun, I'm very curious to see what Erik made of that piece of driftwood.

Pages: 1 11 replies