Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Sketchbook Project

Pages: 1 6 replies

L

I don't remember how exactly I found this website, but I found this project to be interesting enough to share with everyone. There's an art project that has been going on for a while called the "Sketchbook Project"

The basic concept of it is, you purchase a sketch book from them, sketch in it, send it back to them and it follows a large library along with other participants to various art galleries. At the art gallery people can visit them and browse through all the sketch books. As an artist the sketch book gets barcoded and keeps track of the number of people who browse through it. Unfortunately after the end of the tour of the sketch book project, all sketchbooks will not be returned and will remain permanently housed at The Brooklyn Art Library, but in a more positive note it belongs to the Brooklyn Art Library!

I myself am thinking of participating in the project with my own artwork. But I thought that we have so many talented artists here on TC that maybe one of you might want to participate as well. I thought I would share this with everyone!

The official website (with more information):
http://www.arthousecoop.com/projects/sketchbookproject

[ Edited by: lilusako 2010-06-18 15:15 ]

A

Thanks for the head's up! I ordered one. $25.

One point of clarification, though:
the sketchbooks will NOT be for sale. (sez in the Detailed Rules)
They will tour with the group and become a part of a permanent collection
at the Brooklyn Art Library.

They'll be trackable by bar code, and you'll be able to sort of see who looked at it
(viewers can sign in) For an extra $20, they will digitize it and it'll be available online.

w00t!

L

Oh thanks for the clarification. I'll change my post with that information. I guess in previous years people were allowed to put a price tag on their sketch books to sell? I got that information from watching the CNN video on the website. If you do sketches I'd love to see photos of your completed sketchbook.

I got my sketch book in the mail a couple weeks ago. my theme is "IT MUST BE..."

Very cool!
how many pages are in the sketchbook?

Is there a time limit?

i started keeping my sketchbooks since 1989
and have 44 of them.
It's a great way to remember concepts
do studies
work things out
and keep it fresh and playful!

Very cool Dawn's on the bus!

Thanks for the skinny!

L

Website posted important dates about the sketch book project:

Oct. 31st, 2010

(they said if you don't recieve the sketchbook by November 15th then you should contact them before Nov. 15 for a refund or ask them to resend a sketchbook)

Postmark completed book by:
January 15th, 2011

Tour starts:
March, 2011

So there's about 6 months more to go before the start of the tour next year.

As for sketchbook details the The Sketchbook Project website says it's a 5.5x8.5 inch Moleskine Cahier sketchbook.
I believe it's this particular sketchbook: http://www.moleskineus.com/cahier-large-plain.html
Which would mean that there are 80 pages (40 leaves).

However, I was looking at photos and videos and you can do other things to the pages as long as the project folds back to its original 5.5 x 8.5 inch size, and that the barcode remains on the project.

Website states:
Your book must remain within the dimensions of 5.5 x 8.5 inches. It can open up to something wonderful (of any size), but it must fold down to the original dimensions. You are welcome to unbind, rebind or alter the book in (almost) any other way. If you want to use a thicker stock of paper, go for it!

I have a few sketchbooks that I've used since I started college for my studies. I thought this project would be a great way of sharing art with others. I'm looking forward to seeing what other people do with their sketchbooks.

[ Edited by: lilusako 2010-06-21 15:42 ]

The ART HOUSE just posted on facebook that Seattle has been added to the Sketchbook Project tour.

Pages: 1 6 replies