Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

spoons and fork?

Pages: 1 35 replies

what is the tiki connection with those huge wooden spoons and forks????.

[ Edited by: twowheelin'tiki on 2003-06-26 21:04 ]

Ya got me. I know they're everywhere, like Herb Alpert's "Whipped Cream And Other Delights".

M
Mattio posted on Thu, May 8, 2003 6:31 AM

the ancient Polynesians were much larger than people today, so they needed bigger forks and spoons :D

L
laney posted on Thu, May 8, 2003 11:10 AM

Check out this ancient thread. I thought door handles were a brilliant idea for these things. Before this thread I always saw these at thrift stores, now that I could use them for something, I don't even run across them anymore. What ever happened to Erich Troudt anyway?

https://tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=1012&forum=1

Basement, that record must have been huge in its day. That thing is everywhere!

I thought the door handle idea was great too. Now I just need to build a tiki hut to put 'em on. I've been gathering those spoons and forks just for that reason.

I do see the fork and spoon sets at all the thrifts and flea markets but they are always in very poor condition. They always look like someone backed a car over them.

E
Erika posted on Fri, May 9, 2003 2:32 PM

Hmmm. I had never thought of using those big utensils as decorative small "lumber" before! (Before reading about the door handle idea, that is.) Now I can see using those same sections as uprights for a small wall shelf unit.

I've passed over lots of those forks and spoons at thrift shops . . . I hate to think what the odds are now of finding some--now that I'd like to.

D

we've got a spoon & fork set for sale in our webstore. for all those interested...check out http://www.debagogo.com
mahalo,
deb & gogo

WHAT IS THE TIKI CONNECTION??????????????

Don't know the connection, although many of them are carved in the Philippines. My husband and I collect them, we have about 15 sets...the thought of chopping them up for door handles upsets me!! :wink:

We have several with obvious tikis carved on them, but also some with birds, elephants, or pineapples. They cover all the walls of our kitchen, people who visit seem to love them.

I've noticed that when people get drunk, they like to take them down and do various things like "spooning" people's asses, or saying "fork you" while holding a 3 foot fork high in the air.

All in good fun.

L
laney posted on Sun, May 11, 2003 5:03 PM

On 2003-05-11 10:52, annalulu wrote:
We have several with obvious tikis carved on them, but also some with birds, elephants, or pineapples. They cover all the walls of our kitchen, people who visit seem to love them.

That sound like a really cool idea but to pull it off, you must have a lot of them. You can tell people to "Fork off" if they don't like it!

On 2003-05-08 11:10, laney wrote:
Check out this ancient thread. I thought door handles were a brilliant idea for these things. Before this thread I always saw these at thrift stores, now that I could use them for something, I don't even run across them anymore. What ever happened to Erich Troudt anyway?
https://tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=1012&forum=1

I'm still here. Thanks for remembering me. I lurk around the board, read the topics that look interesting. Haven't really done anything new with the tiki hut or bought anything cool lately. here is a link to the door handles pic.
http://www.geocities.com/erichtroudt/tikihut2.html

As far as the connection between Tiki and giant untensils, I have no idea. I have seen those giant Forks and Spoons in all shapes, sizes, and styles for years. I heard people just hung them in the kitchen in the 70's. Why? People did alot of wierd stuff in the seventies, afros, disco, platforms, etc. Giant forks don't seem so wierd compared to bell bottoms.
Anyway, I have seen so many of these tikis forks and spoons. I have seen about three different styles of tikis, and one with African style people on them.

Erich Troudt

If you weren't there, you missed CB Howlie playing the spoon and fork while sitting in during APE's set at the Oasis.

Not a great picture but you get the point. This is right before the fork snapped in half. That's rock n' roll! ....kinda

My girlfriend- soon to be fiancé- is Filipino. Growing up in L.A. (Valley Girl in every sense of the word) her parents had the Fork and Spoon on the wall of their home (as well as a lot of other handcarved wooden items). She told me that for the longest time she thought that the Fork and Spoon indicated that you were in a Filipino home because those were the only homes that had them on the walls.

Now we have her parent's Fork and Spoon on our wall on either side of a Bosko mask.

So my guess is that the Tiki connection is associated with the Philippines.

Chris

now were getting somewhere!."the pinoy connection".....it just was bugging me cuz i have seen them in many tiki eateries and they could not explain.

I just spotted the Tiki spoon & fork combo at my local thrift for $24.95. They are the ones pictured by Erich Troudt. They are about 4 feet long. I picked them up then put them back. I may re-consider and use for the door handle idea...

Dude, in my opinion, thats way too much money for those. I see them all the time in thrift stores and swap meets. I would try to find some in the less than $10 range if I was you.

Or check on ebay maybe.

Erich Troudt

Thanks for the price info. I have never really priced these suckers before. I am glad now I put them back on the shelf. The Tiki frenzy almost had me.

*On 2003-05-11 23:58, Luckydesigns wrote:*If you weren't there, you missed CB Howlie playing the spoon and fork while sitting in during APE's set at the Oasis.
Actually, that was c.b.'s evil twin brother, Kali-Caliente! He is so evil - he broke the tiki fork and spoon...

I saw a pair online that I told Bonbonvic about, but it wasn't exactly what was needed, so I thought I'd let other TC'ers know about it. It says $10 includes shipping, but you may want to phone or email them to make sure it's still available.

Hey, only 10 bucks....look here.

SpoonThisCaddyDaddy

If you put A tiki spoon and A tiki fork togather wouldnt that make it A tiki spork? I dont know Im new here.
Endsville tiki style........

HH

that would be killer a tiki spork! whoo hoo get one of dem carver types to make it.

Oh that would be great!
I'm originally from Kentucky and to have a large wooden version of KFC's Spork on the wall would make my girlfriend's tatay (Tagalog for "father") laugh.

Chris

L
laney posted on Thu, May 15, 2003 1:59 PM

Hey, I'd pay for a tiki foon (as I call sporks) Who will carve some limited edition TC foons/sporks?

There aren't many object's de Tiki that I wcan walk right past, but the big fork and spoon is one of them. Even in the UK, they turn up everywhere -yesterday I saw some for $15. (Ouch) Saying that, the quality can differ quite drastically, and I've a nice songle spoon with inlaid abelone eyes and a protruding tongue. 95% of 'em should be doorhandles, though.

Trader Woody

Nicer-than-average Tiki Spoon and Fork set for sale here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3230582538&category=29460

(not my item, just passin' it along. Price seems ok.)

Sabu

J

Just bought another large set and a gigantic fork at the local Goodwill - total price $3.00! The set is unusual - marked made in the Philippines and very abstract carvings. I'm keeping an eye out for the gigantic spoon which I am going to transform into a spork!

KD

Back to Tiki origins.

Just to add to the rumor mill, I read sometime back that they were "cannibal" utensils. The spoon was to stir the pot and the fork to eat the flesh. This would be totally wrong, however. In Fiji they did have a cannibal fork (i Cula ni Bokola) since it was tabu to let human flesh touch the lips. It also looked nothing like what they reproduce now. They were a short wood stick with 2-3 sharpened bones shooting straight out, maybe around 12" - 18" overall. I also believed the main course was BBQ in a pit, not boiled!

To much information?

Personally, I think they were a simple decoration that came in many styles to fit the decor. I have also seen them in "Ranch" style.

Hmmm, I'm getting hungry, wonder what's for supper? :wink:

J

Now if the cannibals had just thought of using a spork it would have saved a lot of time!

JohnTiki

Aloha from the enchanted Pi Yi Grotto in exotic Bel Air MD!

[ Edited by: johntiki on 2003-06-27 21:30 ]

Just picked up another set @ an estate sale down the street from my house. Just $5

I Finally Discovered What Those Giant Forks And Spoons Are For!

They're for tossing Wahine Salad.

Just ask Elvis.

[ Edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy on 2003-07-31 13:30 ]

On 2003-06-27 18:41, Kava Dan wrote:
Back to Tiki origins.

I read sometime back that they were "cannibal"... the fork to eat the flesh.

Here's a pic of a "long pig" fork from Fiji:

http://magma.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/flashback/0303.html

On 2003-05-14 17:17, von franco wrote:
If you put A tiki spoon and A tiki fork togather wouldn`t that make it A tiki spork?

In Canada there used to be Spam imitator called Spork (spiced + pork). How's that for a tiki tie-in?

S

I admit it - I have these. But, I can at least say my set is the spoon, fork AND knife! So, it's classy trash.

While at Li's Chinese here in Huntington Beach (one of Orange County's favorite places for TC'ers), I wondered about the "fork & spoon" and what the hec is the meaning of having them in your home and wondered too, where you are suppose to have them: dining room? kitchen? family room? (hey, I was eating alone, so give me a break!)

Then I totally distracted my own train of thought when I then realized and wondered:
Why do Mexican restaurants only give you a fork and knife, but no spoon, and why do Chinese restaurants only give you a spoon and knife, but no fork?

J
jonboy posted on Sat, Aug 2, 2003 1:22 AM

I have a beautiful 4 foot fork, firing up the Skil saw tonite, the remnants (3 foot handle) will be on ebay tomorrow!!!!

Pages: 1 35 replies