Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

The Beachcomber Trio Live at the Kahiki

Pages: 1 2 3 101 replies

Well, I have "officially" produced my first vinyl LP; The Beachcomber Trio "live" at the Kahiki.

It is a vintage recording recorded in 1965 at the Kahiki Supper Club.

It was released by my friends at Dionysus Records in a strict Limited Edition of 500 copies. Inside is a download coupon so you can download the album as well.

Here is the link with more info..............

http://www.dionysusrecords.com/home/?p=1136

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

[ Edited by: Jeff Central 2010-07-12 11:55 ]

Looks great, Jeff!
Quite the jewel from the Kahiki to share.
Looking forward to hearing it. Congrats on the production, too!
Cheers~
Andy

Must Get,
will spin at Tiki Oasis.
:wink:

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Just ordered mine, can't wait to hear it!
Thanks for producing this Jeff!
Cheers~

Andy

A

Enjoyed the tracks that Mark played on the most recent Quiet Village. Promptly ordered mine after hearing the podcast. You made a new Dionysus customer out of me, Jeff!

On 2010-08-11 18:44, avril64 wrote:
Enjoyed the tracks that Mark played on the most recent Quiet Village. Promptly ordered mine after hearing the podcast. You made a new Dionysus customer out of me, Jeff!

Cool, thanks avril64!

Mark and I are talking about doing another "rare" Exotica episode for the Quiet Village podcast. This time with unreleased tracks that didn't make it on the Beachcomber Trio album!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

RB

"Unreleased tracks"...ooooooooooooooh!!! :)

MH

Just heard this on the quiet village podcast (excellent show) and the music is super hip! love the live sound. i also had no idea that there was a digital download included with the vinyl - so it's officially gone onto the shopping list. Jeff, nice job with the recording it seems and Digitiki - thanks for the introduction as well on your show. I am enjoying it inb etween jetset planets and java bachelor pads and cocktail nations and....can't keep up!

saludos!
Mr. Ho

G

I have to admit, when I first saw Jeff's posting about this album, I thought it might be some disappointing, cheesy restaurant album, despite the location. But after hearing DigiTiki's podcast, I am completely sold. What a terrific exotica recording this is! With headphones on, I love hearing the waterfall and lounge chatter in the background. But the music is the main attraction and it's terrific. Just ordered my copy. Mahalo Jeff and Mark!

I just placed my order, even before hearing the latest Quiet Village podcast. An endorsement from DigiTiki and Jeff is enough for me.

I can't wait...hopefuly it's waiting for me when I return from Tiki Oasis.

kevin

J

Received my LP today. But contrary to what was advertised, it did not include a download coupon. For someone who doesn't own a turntable (or as Travis Bickle would say "record player"), I'm SOL.

:(

C

Instead of complaining on TC, I would very much suggest that you contact the seller.

My copy did, indeed, contain a download coupon. If for some reason yours did not, it was simply an error.

On 2010-08-21 21:04, JOHN-O wrote:
Received my LP today. But contrary to what was advertised, it did not include a download coupon. For someone who doesn't own a turntable (or as Travis Bickle would say "record player"), I'm SOL.

:(

Yes, please contact Dionysus Records directly. I know they will hook you up!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

Oh yeah, picked me up a copy at Festiki. Can't stop listening to it now. Well, unless you count when I pause to listen to Jeff's DJ set from the Bon Voyage Kahiki party that I also picked up there. Awesome job!!! (and yeah, I'm listenig via the digital download - I don't have a vintage player yet)

J

Yes, Dionysus Records responded to my email within 24 hours.

But guess what I found sitting on my kitchen floor ?? :( :)

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2010-08-24 08:52 ]

My copy was indeed waiting for me at home after Tiki Oasis (facepalm as I realized on Saturday I could have bought it at Tiki Oasis). It's even better than I hoped for. It feels like owning and listening to a brand-new piece of the past. Which I guess is exactly what it is. So good.

kevin

T

Ok Jeff this ones for you.
3/4s of the way down on this link is the Marinba that was played on this record.
Enjoy!

http://choppypercussion.com/default.aspx

On 2010-08-26 14:54, tikiskip wrote:
Ok Jeff this ones for you.
3/4s of the way down on this link is the Marinba that was played on this record.
Enjoy!

http://choppypercussion.com/default.aspx

That would be the one!! :)

Thanks mucho tikiskip, you rock!!!!!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

K
kq4ym posted on Sat, Aug 28, 2010 5:37 AM

A friend from Columbus sent me the Dispatch article and through it I found the tikiroom and Jeff's great tiki info.

I was a member of the Beachcomber's Trio at the Kahiki around 1968 with Marsh Padilla and guitarist Leroy Plymale. It turns out that band is on the back cover of Jeff's new record. How cool!

I'm loving the great tiki info here and meeting up with old friends of the Kahiki in Columbus, Ohio!

Don Browne
LaBelle, Florida

On 2010-08-28 05:37, kq4ym wrote:
A friend from Columbus sent me the Dispatch article and through it I found the tikiroom and Jeff's great tiki info.

I was a member of the Beachcomber's Trio at the Kahiki around 1968 with Marsh Padilla and guitarist Leroy Plymale. It turns out that band is on the back cover of Jeff's new record. How cool!

I'm loving the great tiki info here and meeting up with old friends of the Kahiki in Columbus, Ohio!

Don Browne
LaBelle, Florida

Welcome to Tiki Central Don.

Thanks for sharing your incredible information and thanks for emailing me too! The picture on the back is indeed a later version of the Beachcomber Trio taken in 1968.

Much appreciated.

This place is full of Kahiki nuts!! :)

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

Check out these photos from my visit yesterday with Gerline Lude, the cover girl on the Beachcomber Trio LP.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/album.php?aid=11985&id=100001191781514

It is the most spectacular garden I have EVER seen in my lifetime.

Their garden has been featured in multiple magazines including the National Geographic, Better Homes and Gardens and Columbus Monthly.

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

[ Edited by: Jeff Central 2010-08-30 12:05 ]

T

You are just trying to pull me into the evil world of Facebook.
Just post the dam photos.

On 2010-08-30 15:50, tikiskip wrote:
You are just trying to pull me into the evil world of Facebook.
Just post the dam photos.

Facebook is where I found all these people!

What a JEWEL!
As a fan of "live" exotica performances, few & far between as they are,
Jeff put together one helluvan entertaining LP. (Love that new "clean" LP sound off my needle, Jeff!!)
The musicians that make up this trio echoes the "feel" that Arthur Lyman & co. was putting out.
To take you back and make you FEEL that you're barside at the Kahiki in the mid-60s comprises a wholly complete and holy felt experience, no doubt. An almost 8 minute version of Quiet Village is an Exotica religious experience!
Cheers & Mahalo to Jeff & the Dionysus people for putting this all together.
-Andy
ps. The free download included & "bar chatter" is the icing on the cake!
BUY YOURS TODAY!!!!

[ Edited by: Tiki Joe's Pop 2010-09-03 17:31 ]

On 2010-08-30 12:04, Jeff Central wrote:
Check out these photos from my visit yesterday with Gerline Lude, the cover girl on the Beachcomber Trio LP.

Wow, what a Shangri-La! It looks like you could just sit there and record jungle sounds...the water, the birds....
THIS is the tropical paradise I picture when I listen to Gene Rains or Martin Denny!

And it's in OHIO!!? Her name sounds German. Did you have any idea what you were gonna stumble on?

On 2010-09-04 00:06, bigbrotiki wrote:

On 2010-08-30 12:04, Jeff Central wrote:

Wow, what a Shangri-La! It looks like you could just sit there and record jungle sounds...the water, the birds....
THIS is the tropical paradise I picture when I listen to Gene Rains or Martin Denny!

And it's in OHIO!!? Her name sounds German. Did you have any idea what you were gonna stumble on?

I had no idea whatsover. Her garden is truly amazing. Like something from a tropical movie set! She wants to add more tikis too! The best part is at night. EVERYTHING lights up! We hope to have a Tiki Luau party sometime soon before the weather cools down. There is even a sound system hooked up that pumps music throughout the garden. It's like they took the gardens from the Kahiki and placed it in her back yard!!

The Columbus Dispatch recently published an article on the 10 year anniversary of the Kahiki's closing. God, has it really been 10 years? This has generated a lot of interest locally and I have been in contact with not only Geri but another member of the Beachcomber Trio who was in the band from 1968-1969. His name is Don Browne and he was the one who sold Marsh the 1933 Concert Grand Marimba that now belongs to me.

It is truly amazing how things seem to snowball once something like this comes out.

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

O

Just ordered this. Can't wait. Thanks Jeff!

T

Hey Jeff....Just got my LP and downloaded the digital copy.Absolutely Fantastic I must say.Makes me feel like I'm back in time at The Kahiki.It's framed and on the wall surrounded by Baxter & Denny..Thanks again

WOW!!!!!

Looks great Tim. Thanks for the kind words!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

Well, that lines up perfectly with the vintage covers! I just got my record, and it's a wonderful time warp, right in line with the legendary Tiki Gardens LP and the Royal Tahitian album that A-Frame just gave me a CD of. Keep up the good work, guys!

In case people here at TC didn't know Marsh Padilla, musician extraordinaire, leader of the Beachcomber Trio, and friend passed away on December 24th 2010. He was 92.

Please visit my original post on Facebook..........

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=151761458206913&set=a.101338609915865.589.100001191781514

Rest in Peace Marsh.

Jeff

How great that he saw the Beachcomber LP published. It is most rewarding to see these veterans of Poly pop experience the fact that their work is still appreciated.

On 2011-01-18 08:54, bigbrotiki wrote:
How great that he saw the Beachcomber LP published. It is most rewarding to see these veterans of Poly pop experience the fact that their work is still appreciated.

Amen!

I just ordered my copy of this LP last night. How great that it comes with a digital download option in addition to the vinyl? I'm typically anti-digital download, but since I'll have the analogue LP, I'm thrilled to also have the MP3s for on-the-go iPod listening. I can't wait to hear this album!

There are less than 10 songs on it, though, right? Here's hoping they're extended renditions otherwise the LP is painfully short on running time. It should still be a great listen. I'm sure it'll make me wish I could have visited the Kahiki way back when.

Did any pictures of the Kahiki interior survive the turn of the century? Aside from the famous fireplace, I've only ever seen artists renderings of the floorplan layout, not actual photographs of the different seating areas, waterfall, etc.

Just ordered my copy this morning .

N

On 2010-07-12 06:58, Jeff Central wrote:
Well, I have "officially" produced my first vinyl LP; The Beachcomber Trio "live" at the Kahiki.

It is a vintage recording recorded in 1965 at the Kahiki Supper Club.

It was released by my friends at Dionysus Records in a strict Limited Edition of 500 copies. Inside is a download coupon so you can download the album as well.

Here is the link with more info..............

http://www.dionysusrecords.com/home/?p=1136

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

[ Edited by: Jeff Central 2010-07-12 11:55 ]

After being a guest around here for about 2 years, and finding this post, I finally decided it was time to join TC. So yes, this would be my first posting...

Many thanks Jeff!!! I ordered my copy today. I can't believe there are some left. I have lived in the Columbus, Ohio area my entire life and went to the Kahiki many times with my parents, wife, children and in-laws. I have often wished the Kahiki would reopen somewhere in Columbus. Having a recording of the Beachcomer Trio will be an absolute treasure and take my mind back to great experiences at the Kahiki. So again, many thanks Jeff for making this available!!!

Tom...

Thanks for the kind words everyone! :)

Welcome to Tiki Central Tom. Lots of archived information here that is truly amazing.

This is what I truly love doing. I'm an Audio Archeologist/Music Historian by heart. I love searching for rare and unreleased recordings and making them available for people to listen to and enjoy. I especially love meeting the people that made this music as well. They are some of the most interesting and inspirational people I have ever met!

Thanks again!!

Look for rare Exotica album later this year by Jerry Sun!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

I got mine today,#480, and I am loving it.

On 2011-01-25 19:05, peacefrogman wrote:

I got mine today,#480, and I am loving it.

Wow! Dionysus Records must be nearing the end of their 500 copies run, unless they're plucking stock at random. Fantastic! So glad this album is SELLING!

We ordered around the same time (within days of each other), and I'm still waiting for mine, but it'll be interesting to see how our numbered editions compare. :)

Well, my The Beachcomber Trio "Live From Kahiki" LP arrived today. It was well packed but beneath the shrink wrapping, the cardboard jacket has a bumped top spine and two creases along the top of the front cover. :x

These discrepancies are minor and I'm telling myself that it makes the LP look even MORE vintage. Still, :x. Oh well.

Also, the hand numbering on the back of my LP jacket says: #981500. I'm not sure what that means. I thought this album was limited to 500 copies? Is it possible "981" is on ALL the LPs and "500" means I got the last copy?

To everyone who purchased this album, what does the numbering on yours look like?

Deja Voodoo,

If you are not happy with it I'm sure Lee at Dionysus Records will exchange it for you. He is really good about taking care of the customer. The number sounds like its 98/500. This is the way Lee hand-numbered them with a slash between numbers. He must be picking them at random. That is a pretty low one.

Thanks for purchasing the LP. I hope you enjoy it. If unhappy though, Lee will be glad to exchange it for you.

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

[ Edited by: Jeff Central 2011-01-26 19:18 ]

On 2011-01-26 19:18, Jeff Central wrote:
Deja Voodoo,

If you are not happy with it I'm sure Lee at Dionysus Records will exchange it for you. He is really good about taking care of the customer. The number sounds like its 98/500. This is the way Lee hand-numbered them with a slash between numbers. He must be picking them at random. That is a pretty low one.

Thanks for purchasing the LP. I hope you enjoy it. If unhappy though, Lee will be glad to exchange it for you.

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

[ Edited by: Jeff Central 2011-01-26 19:18 ]

Jeff,

Thanks for the reply. That explains the peculiar numbering on the back of my LP. On second look, it IS 98/500. Wow. That also explains why the jacket is a bit "beat up" - it's been kicking around for awhile.

The imperfections I described are really quite livable and the vinyl is pristine - that's what matters, right? Knowing that the numbered edition I received is quite low, I'll most likely hang on to what I've got. I'll learn to love it, dings and all!

MH

tiki tock, tiki tock....

Bart: "is the mail here yet?" Homer: "no!"

Shipping waits = yuck!

Mr. Ho

N

Jeff,

My Beachcomber Trio Live at the Kahiki LP arrived yesterday. It is numbered 70/500. I really wish the digital download coupon would have been contained in an envelope within the box instead of inside the album. I had to remove the plastic shrink wrap, which I really didn't want to do, but hey, that's the way it goes. I downloaded the digital mp3 files and have already played them to death. They're fantastic! They bring back such great memories. Since the shrink wrap is off my album, I'm going to put the LP on the turntable, crank it up, and listen to music the pre-digital way. I know they will sound just as fantastic. Many thanks Jeff for getting the LP produced!!! I'm curious how many songs did not make the cut? Would they potentially be put on a second live LP?

As a result of this LP, I am now searching through all my boxes of photos to find any we took at the Kahiki. If any of them are good enough, I'll post them here.

Again Thanks!

Tom...

Hi Tom,

I think 6 songs didn't make the cut off the first reel. I have two other reels as well but by far the best stuff came from reel #1 and that's what appears on the album. I'm going to make the extended version of Yellow Bird available here on Sunday so check back! :)

I may make the extra tracks available as a download at some point but right now I am concentrating all my energy on the Jerry Sun record which should be out hopefully by Summer 2011.

Thanks for the interest.

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

As promised here is the full version of Yellow Bird by the Beachcomber Trio.

http://soundcloud.com/jeff-central/beachcomber-trio-yellow-bird

The download has been enabled. Get it while you can folks!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

RB

Awesome...thanks!

T

Yes, thanks for this cool addition to the album.

Pages: 1 2 3 101 replies