The Beachcomber Trio Live at the Kahiki

Pages: 1 2 3 101 replies

G
GROG posted on Mon, Feb 7, 2011 10:11 AM

GROG like.

BB

Thank you!!

N

This is a great live music! The background conversation adds to it! It's just like being there once again!

Thanks Jeff!!!

MH
Mr. Ho posted on Tue, Feb 8, 2011 6:31 PM

Got my copy today! good stuff. Before reading the back of the album, I noticed a few things that were kinda fun to hear as a musician and to picture how they did during the recording/gigging at the restaurant:

• Use of tumbao patterns normally played on congas but instead, played on the timbales. (Quiet Village, Sway). Kinda interesting; shows the percussionist was trying to cover a multi-player percussion section with 1 body perhaps...
  • Reharmonized quiet village with extensive soloing - for me, it shows that this tune which is so often performed as a cover to the recording(s), was used more like a jazz standard - the melodies were kept but it was also used as a basis for jazz/improv. They took a lot of liberty!
  • SHangri-La - my fav!
  • Not crazy about electric bass; or the bass sound - not sure if that was an electric on the album or not (The picture shows it to be)...
  • Sway - exotica with trumpet! wow :wink:

nice job jeff!

mr. Ho

WOW! Thanks Brian for the nice compliment and the meticulus appraisal of my record.

I'm really glad you enjoyed it.

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

MH

Hi Jeff (et al) - just a quick FYI that we're going to try to play a couple tunes from this album at our March 5th show in Cambridge (Mr. Ho's Orchestrotica). Details at http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=39239&forum=4&0

Thought you might like to know!

Best,
Mr. Ho

On 2011-02-21 13:49, Mr. Ho wrote:
Hi Jeff (et al) - just a quick FYI that we're going to try to play a couple tunes from this album at our March 5th show in Cambridge (Mr. Ho's Orchestrotica). Details at http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=39239&forum=4&0

Thought you might like to know!

Best,
Mr. Ho

WOW! That's very cool, thanks Brian!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

I got my LP at Christmas and it's amazing. Absolutely love it.

Just as a FYI, the download coupon didn't work, so I contacted Dionysus and they advised that the original website has expired, but the download will be available again soon, on a new website.

Mahalo Jeff

On 2012-01-18 05:10, Kon-Hemsby wrote:
I got my LP at Christmas and it's amazing. Absolutely love it.

Just as a FYI, the download coupon didn't work, so I contacted Dionysus and they advised that the original website has expired, but the download will be available again soon, on a new website.

Mahalo Jeff

Thanks Kon-Hemsby,

Glad you got it before Christmas! :)

Thanks for letting me know about the new Dionysus website. People had lots of issues downloading the album from the old site. Hopefully it will work with ALL web browsers this time.

Thanks Again,
Jeff

I received my copy of this today. Sadly, the record arrived badly scratched - unplayable - on both sides. Furthermore, the website to input the code no longer exists. I've contacted Dionysus, but haven't heard anything back yet.

Since my copy of 490 of 500, I hope they have some left with which to replace it...

Hi Boscorooty,

Sorry to hear about your bad experience. Did you purchase the album directly from Dionysus Records? Please let me know as I may be able to help you out. Weird that a "still sealed" record was badly scratched.

As mentioned above the Dionysus website is down but will be up, hopefully, soon.

Lee Joseph of Dionysus Records bends over backwards for his customers and will definitely make things right.

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

On 2012-01-21 08:06, Boscorooty wrote:
I received my copy of this today. Sadly, the record arrived badly scratched - unplayable - on both sides. Furthermore, the website to input the code no longer exists. I've contacted Dionysus, but haven't heard anything back yet.

Since my copy of 490 of 500, I hope they have some left with which to replace it...

Yes it was purchased straight from Dionysus. Still no reply, but I assume I'll hear by Monday.

What's weird is that it doesn't LOOK scratched. It looks fine. However, nearly every tack skips at some point. Obviously a bad press.

The bit of it I could listen to sounded great though. I hope I can get a replacement.

Rob

[ Edited by: Boscorooty 2012-01-21 13:47 ]

So far, Dionysus records seems reticent to offer a replacement.... Frankly, this
is a bit weird if you ask me. They're the only mailorder record outfit who hasn't offered
a prompt return/replacemet...

To be honest, the only reply I would have expected from a reputable company would be "very
sorry, we'll return it as soon as possible."

So far, I'm not getting that.... Call me crazy, but when I drop $30 for an eight-track LP, I
expect it to play.

Here is all of our correspondence.

Hello,

Today I received my copy of The Beachcomber Trio Live From Kahiki.
Not only did it arrive scratched an unplayable in multiple spots on
both sides, but the included download code leads to a website that doesn't
exist.

Please send me a working code and a return shipping label so I can get
a functional replacement. My order information is below.

Thank you,
Robert

Robert -
That record was factory sealed - I've opened about four copies since
it was pressed and all are fine - please send a photograph so I can
see what the issue is on the vinyl.

As far as the download goes we just learned that the website which
housed it has closed. I have to find a digital copy of the album (I
don't have one
currently) and put it up on my website we will let everyone know when
that happens.

Sorry for any inconviencence.

• Dionysus Records

I'll take a picture if you like, but I don't think it will show anything.
The record LOOKS perfect. It just skips on multiple songs.
two on side A and two on side B.

Perhaps a bad Pressing? Did you listen to the ones you opened? Do they play
properly? Regardless, I can't listen through the whole thing, so I would
like a replacement.

Rob

Hello Rob,

At this time we have had no issues with the playability of the Beachcomer
Trio LP.

We suggest to play the LP on a different turntable and see if it is your
stylus that may be the issue. The test pressings for the LP played fine and
you are the first customer that has this issue.

Currently we are working towards updating the download and will have an
update as soon as possible.

Dionysus Records

OK, well, I've played it on both my Thorens TD-145, and my cheapo ION Profile LP USB turntable.

As I said, I would like to get a replacement. Is this a problem?

[ Edited by: Boscorooty 2012-01-26 18:22 ]

D
DJLee posted on Tue, Feb 7, 2012 11:39 AM

Hello - really - you post this corrispondence on a public website? Really?

Well, if we must air our dirty laundry in public -

The vinyl record which is the subject of this communication does NOT skip - both sides, none of the songs. I played it all the way through.

However, the record was returned dirty filthy with the addition of numerous fingerprints and smudges. Someone doesn't know how to take care of a record.

On one point - the company that distributed my records was shut down and that includes their servers which housed my downloads - thus I have to upload the digital on this title (and many others) to my website and pass along to those who bought the reocrd as I will be housing all of my digital giveaways for the future. I at this moment do not have a digital copy of this record - as soon as I get one it will go on my website.

That was beyond my control. Maybe you could help collect the five thousand dollars due to me that I'll never seee?

For your complaints about the record? I offer no apologies - you fly the red customer flag my friend. I have not the time to mess about with you.

I will send a refund ASAP as I do not need, nor want, your money.

And I shall donate the now fingerprinted and smudged LP to a local thift store unless someone here on TC wants it - up for grabs for FREE

Regards
Lee from Dionysus...

SK

Lee,
If the record is still up for grabs I'd love to have it.

Thanks
SK

D
DJLee posted on Tue, Feb 7, 2012 12:54 PM

Hi - sure, send me your address via email to [email protected] and it is yours - it just needs a cleaning.

SK

Email sent and thank you.

I've wanted this one for a while.

D
DJLee posted on Tue, Feb 7, 2012 1:28 PM

Someone's loss is always someone's gain - it's the great leveler of the universe.

"Hello - really - you post this corrispondence on a public website? Really?

Well, if we must air our dirty laundry in public -

The vinyl record which is the subject of this communication does NOT skip - both sides, none of the songs. I played it all the way through.

However, the record was returned dirty filthy with the addition of numerous fingerprints and smudges. Someone doesn't know how to take care of a record."

WOW just absolutely, despicably, bad customer service from Lee.

I have a collection of over 150 Polynesian records from the 40's to the present, all of which play perfectly. As I said, YOUR poorly pressed disc skipped, on both sides, on an ION usb turntable, and a $600.00 audiophile grade Thorens TD-145 which had recently been professionally restored with a Bang and Olufsen cartridge. In both cases, the LP skipped, in exactly the same spot.

As for your claims of returning a dirty disc? Plain and simple, B.S. The record was returned EXACTLY as received. Don't like it? Ship a better product. I've been collecting rare vinyl for over 25 years. Believe me, I know how to handle it. I also know how to spot a shoddy pressing when I see it.

Given the absolutely atrocious attitude your company has displayed from the very beginning of this matter, starting with your insipid "take a picture of it" and "that record was factory sealed" replies, right through to your refusal to replace the record as promised, I'd suggest that DIONYSUS is raising the red flags, not me. I've never dealt with a record company that has treated me this poorly before, and never before have I been forced to complain on a third party's forum. Maybe you're too small of a company to care, but customer satisfaction matters. The way you've handled this indicates that either you have no concept of, or interest in, customer service.

That you've lost money on your server is not your customer's problem, plain and simple. I feel for you, but you act as though demanding what I paid for is somehow my fault. If you can't supply the downloads as promised, don't advertise them.

As for airing our dirty laundry on this forum, well, mine's not dirty. If you don't want people seeing your reticence in the matter, that speaks to the way you run your business. If, in the beginning, Dionysus had simply said, "sorry, ship it back for a refund or replacement" it never would have been brought up here.

This matter was aired on this forum precisely because you were unwilling to handle it professionally on your own. I'd advise anyone who's thinking about purchasing ANYTHING from your website to think twice, since Dionysus will meet any potential problems with attitude and vitrol, NOT service.

P.S. acting as though refunding my money is some kind of grand gesture, when you're refusing to ship the product I ordered? Childish and sad.

[ Edited by: boscorooty 2012-02-07 13:56 ]

TM

I don't know who is right or who is wrong here....but I spent a 1000 years in retail management...and the golden rule was: The customer is ALWAYS right, even if they are actually wrong!

This was based on the theory that to give a client a refund with no excuses or stipulations was always more profitable and less work and hassle in the long run.

but to question a client/customer, basically calling them a liar or making them prove their case through a photograph.....this is normally unheard of anywhere except in some Pho restaurant in little saigon...totally unproffesional and uncalled for.

If those are the real emails we just read....I would never do business with them. never.

When I have a problem with Amazon orders, I am refunded promptly, no questions asked. That's pretty much standard.

When I was a restaurant manager, and a customer showed me their mostly finished plate and then told me the food was bad.....I offered a refund, no questions asked. A refund, and an apology. The refund and apology would cost me far less then the havoc I knew that customer would later throw my way.

Now, if this is the 3rd time the same customer has pulled this stuff, then they are a scam artist...and that's different. Bootscooty, is there more to the story then you are telling? Did you have any previous dealings with this company where you wanted a refund?

Hand to god, all the emails I've posted are exactly what I received. You'll notice Lee hasn't suggested otherwise. The only other correspondence I got was the last one, which I was going to post with a thank you when everything had been resolved:

"Hi Robert - Lee here you've been speaking to two different people -
By the way you said "scratched and unplayable" in your first email, it sounds like there are visable blemishes.
If it skips in the exact same places on two units then go ahead and send it back. I'll give it a spin here too and check it out - will send another one to replace. Send via Media Mail and we'll reimburse you."

I had no way of knowing that I'd been speaking to two different people. Everything came from the same address, so I guess I really still don't. The reimbursement mentioned was for shipping costs, and even here, they failed. It was NOT included in the oh-so-gracious refund. Frankly, at this point, if I'm out five bucks, who cares.

To answer your question, this is the only time I have ever ordered anything from Dionysus. They've made a hell of a first impression.

Perhaps I shouldn't have used the word "scratched" as I guess it could be confusing. I don't know. It seems to me, whether it's a scratch or a bad pressing, if it won't play, it won't play, and the seller should replace it. I sent it back as instructed, only to have my order cancelled without any given reason. When I came back to Tiki Central today, I found Lee's post. I am completely shocked by it. I've ordered vinyl from the biggest of the big labels, to the smallest of Detroit's local garage-band outfits. I've ordered from sellers on Discogs.com, ebay, Amazon, and etsy. Never - not once- have I been treated this way.

Like I said, I've never had to complain like this before, and I don't set out to waste my time like this. I sent the record back, with the impossible-to-use download code inside. I don't see how Lee thinks I'm benefiting here, but I guess I'm just out of luck. From now on, I'll remember not to deal with Dionysus Records, and I would urge others to think twice as well. Maybe you'll get a perfect product, but God help you if you don't.

[ Edited by: boscorooty 2012-02-07 14:42 ]

D
DJLee posted on Tue, Feb 7, 2012 2:54 PM

yawn...
post all you want I'm out of here.

On 2012-02-07 14:54, DJLee wrote:
yawn...
post all you want I'm out of here.

Lee, your reply says more than anything I'd ever be able to post.

TM

Wow. This is a fine example of how NOT to run a business.

And as far as the "airing dirty laundry" accusation....most on-line retailers allow product reviews. Especially on Amazon. Product ratings. Good, bad...they are all there. This is unacceptable. I would never buy anything from this DJlee either. Not now.

And my record buying experience matches yours too, Bootscooty. I usually buy Amazon, but a lot of it is from the private, small sellers, because they are used items. For example, Dave's used books (just made that up) I have never had any problem at all. I have had refunds, cancellations, even the company trying their best to find the product somewhere else for me. it's called going the extra mile.

[ Edited by: lucas vigor 2012-02-07 16:14 ]

A

Since posts above seem to want to turn this thread into Dionysus testimonials, I will offer mine. I've been buying records from Dionysus for something like 17 years, and have ALWAYS been happy with them. It's an UNDERstatement to say that without Dionysus, a lot of great music would simply never have been released. And that goes for the Beachcomber Trio LP, which I own, and which plays fine for me.

It sounded to me like Boscorooty was itching to "air dirty laundry" from the get-go. By his account, he first contacted Dionysus on a Saturday, and then was already posting here by 8a pt, to inform all of TikiCentral that he hadn't heard back yet. And then again a few hours later on the same day. Isn't that a little unreasonable to expect a same day reply on a Saturday? And then apparently there WERE a number of replies in the next 3 days, but not resolved to his satisfaction yet. Still, 3 days seems like a pretty short fuse to start pasting entire private email exchanges into this public thread about the Beachcomber Trio. It goes well beyond a "review", and I think the ruffled feathers about the request for a photo is WAY overblown. In my experience that's pretty common e-tailer practice, and in fact we just had that with one website. It didn't bother me at all when they asked for a photo of a damaged item we'd bought as a Christmas gift. And they weren't even in Little Saigon! Try returning a bad hard drive under warranty - holy cow - they want a lot more than a quick photo.

Anyway, FWIW, I downloaded the mp3s when I got the LP. If it would help anybody, I can put them up on a private shareable location, just to get them to Lee or (if Lee authorizes it) to Boscorooty. I don't mean for open sharing though - I wouldn't do that.

-Randy

On 2012-02-07 23:30, aquarj wrote:
Anyway, FWIW, I downloaded the mp3s when I got the LP. If it would help anybody, I can put them up on a private shareable location, just to get them to Lee or (if Lee authorizes it) to Boscorooty. I don't mean for open sharing though - I wouldn't do that.

-Randy

If Lee is Ok with this, I would love that. I can give you the download ref that I have with the LP, to show I'm not looking to steal the MP3's.

Mahalo

[ Edited by: Kon-Hemsby 2012-02-08 05:42 ]

Aquarj, 4 days of email exchanges, particularly the ones above, is long enough to know that the person in question was not handling the matter professionally. You may get asked for photos all the time, that's fine. I don't, and no one i know would ever call that a standard practice. To complain that the record was "factory sealed," as if somehow that guarantees perfection, is ridiculous.

I only posted my initial disappointment here because, frankly, I was really excited to get the rcord, and what I received - an unplayable disc with an unusable download code - was a major letdown. When I posted initially, I even praised the product, saying that what I could hear sounded great. I wasn't spoiling for a fight in any way.

I only posted the email exchanges when it became clear that, after four days, Lee and Dionysus were trying their best NOT to provide a replacement.

As for the Beachcomber LP, It's available on Amazon for as little as $15. $10 cheaper than a direct order from Dionysus. I didn't go that route, since normally I love to support small labels - for exactly the reasons you mention. Usually they press interesting, hard-to-find stuff, care about the music, and treat their customers with respect. As you can see above that was not my experience with Dionysus. If your experience has been different, congratulations.

I've now purchased a copy of the LP from an Amazon 3rd party seller. I've dealt with him many times before, and know I can trust him. It's used, meaning Dionysus won't get money from me, but it's mint and still contains an unused download code, should Lee ever bother to set up new digital files. According to the seller it plays perfectly, but should I need to, he'll be happy to replace or refund.

I'm pretty sure he won't even "yawn" dismissively at me.

Oh, and I appreciate the offer of the mp3's, but I'll do this the honest way. Either Lee will put them up, and I'll download them from the website with my new code, or I'll just make a set from my own record with Soundsoap.

[ Edited by: Boscorooty 2012-02-08 06:06 ]

TM

Bootscooty, I am 100% with you on this one, and the "yawn" comment just sealed the deal. No reason for a retailer to take that attitude with a customer.

As for the hard drive issue, I can understand that. One also cannot return underwear or sax reeds.

But a musical product that does not work should have been refunded.

The FIRST reply should have been:

I am truly sorry you were not satisfied with your order. We at Dioynsus records always keep our customer's satisfaction as our priority. We will be sending you out a pre-paid return carton, so you can send us the item you ordered. Apon receipt, we will either locate a replacement or issue you a refund or exchange for another item of equal price. We look forward to doing business with you in the future.

Now, how hard was that?

J

Lucas, have you actually listened to this album ?? I get the impression you haven't. It's GREAT stuff !! It sounds like the pressing is sold out now but let me know if you want to borrow my vinyl (which I can't play anyway).

It works on many different levels...

1. As far as I'm aware, it's the only mid-century recording of Exotica performed in a mainland Tiki bar. Looking for a actual vintage connection between Tiki and Exotica ?? (other than the Tiki Revival's pairing of the two complimentary aesthetics). This is it !!

2. It's very atmospheric music. And good sound quality for a live recording. You can hear the audience in the background.

3. It adds to the mythic status of the Kahiki. Very very few people on the West Coast have experienced this place when it was open. I asked Nepheria of the Ding Dong Devils about it. She's originally from Columbus and shared her memories of it when she was younger. Her descriptions made it sound like the most fantastic place on Earth. I used to just imagine the Kahiki based on the amazing pictures in BOT but now this live recording makes me feel as if I had the opportunity to visit.

The recent customer service experiences are unfortunate but let's not let it mar the significance of this thread.

Thanks Jeff Central for all your efforts in getting this released. :)

TM

I have not heard it, O-John.....but my comments are about the subpar customer service Bootscooty received (If he is on the level) and they are informed by my own experience as a retail manager.

as regards the LP itself, I would LOVE to hear it....because you are right, exotica being played in the mainland tiki establishments back then was fairly rare. And since I have a decent LP collection, it would be nice to add it to my collection....shame that this was limited to only 500 copies and that you HAVE to buy it from dyonesius records. If it were available elsewhere, I would snap one up. As much as I would like to own this, I cannot in good conscience buy it from someone who "yawns" at his customer's complaints.

[ Edited by: Lucas Vigor 2012-02-08 16:19 ]

Hey, like I said, what I could listen to sounded great, and was fascinating. The package as a whole was very nice, it just didn't work. I can't wait to get a functional copy, so I'm casting no aspersions on the recording itself, or Jeff's work with it.

[ Edited by: Boscorooty 2012-02-08 12:26 ]

On 2012-02-08 10:34, JOHN-O wrote:
It works on many different levels...

1. As far as I'm aware, it's the only mid-century recording of Exotica performed in a mainland Tiki bar. Looking for a actual vintage connection between Tiki and Exotica ?? (other than the Tiki Revival's pairing of the two complimentary aesthetics). This is it !!

2. It's very atmospheric music. And good sound quality for a live recording. You can hear the audience in the background.

3. It adds to the mythic status of the Kahiki. Very very few people on the West Coast have experienced this place when it was open. I asked Nepheria of the Ding Dong Devils about it. She's originally from Columbus and shared her memories of it when she was younger. Her descriptions made it sound like the most fantastic place on Earth. I used to just imagine the Kahiki based on the amazing pictures in BOT but now this live recording makes me feel as if I had the opportunity to visit.

John-O, you hit on a couple of great points that I've not been able to successfully articulate about this record.

As I understand it, "restaurant recordings" used to be more common. I think this was discussed on an older episode of the Quiet Village...they were produced by the restaurant themselves, but very limited so few copies exist (if I recall correctly...I should go re-listen to that episode). As such, it's cool to be able to listen in on a type of recording that's pretty unconventional today.

Additionally, hearing the patrons in the background is so interesting to me. A "regular" live record would have loud cheering at all the expected parts. This record captures people as they enjoy dinner with a live band playing while they dine. Dining and listening to live music needn't be mutually exclusive, as this recording illustrates.

The music is great on this record, but what really makes it special are the other elements that turn it into a veritable time machine.

kevin

Thanks everyone for all the kind words regarding my Beachcomber Trio album. I've been laying low while the dust settles a bit.

Boscorooty, I am sorry you has a bad experience with Dionysus Records. Please check your PM's.

This album has been a dream come true for me ever since I discovered the original reels in Marsh Padilla's basement. It really is a time capsule that captures a special place in time inside one of the grandest Polynesian restaurants ever created.

Believe it or not, I'm trying to secure a digital copy myself! My files were corrupted when I tried changing the files from mp3 to a wav. Arghh!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

Jeff, I hope you know that my comments were NOT about the album (which I would love to hear) but were about the record company.

I know.

N

On 2011-01-22 15:55, Jeff Central wrote:
Thanks for the kind words everyone! :)

Welcome to Tiki Central Tom. Lots of archived information here that is truly amazing.

This is what I truly love doing. I'm an Audio Archeologist/Music Historian by heart. I love searching for rare and unreleased recordings and making them available for people to listen to and enjoy. I especially love meeting the people that made this music as well. They are some of the most interesting and inspirational people I have ever met!

Thanks again!!

Look for rare Exotica album later this year by Jerry Sun!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

Hey Jeff,

I am one who very much appreciates that you were able to find this great treasure. Can you expand on the discovery of the tape? How did its discovery come about? Did you know it existed before it was found or was it an accidental find? Please point me to the info if these details are already posted. Best regards on a job well done!

Hi Nokie,

The 3 Master tapes were found in the basement of bandleader Marsh Padilla. Even he didn't know they existed until his wife Nina found them while packing things up for their big move to Boise, Idaho. They were simply marked The Kahiki Trio 1965.

I had been friends with them for a couple years and Nina gave them to me shortly before they left. To say I was ecstatic is an understatement.

They were so pleased that I wanted to do something with these tapes and I am so glad that Marsh got the opportunity to see the final product before he passed away.

The final album consisted of the best tracks from the first reel. I still got 2 more reels of unreleased Beachcomber Trio. Maybe someday I will make these available. Download?

Thanks for the interest.

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

N
Nokie posted on Tue, Feb 14, 2012 8:32 PM

On 2012-02-14 05:53, Jeff Central wrote:
Hi Nokie,

The 3 Master tapes were found in the basement of bandleader Marsh Padilla. Even he didn't know they existed until his wife Nina found them while packing things up for their big move to Boise, Idaho. They were simply marked The Kahiki Trio 1965.

I had been friends with them for a couple years and Nina gave them to me shortly before they left. To say I was ecstatic is an understatement.

They were so pleased that I wanted to do something with these tapes and I am so glad that Marsh got the opportunity to see the final product before he passed away.

The final album consisted of the best tracks from the first reel. I still got 2 more reels of unreleased Beachcomber Trio. Maybe someday I will make these available. Download?

Thanks for the interest.

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

Thanks for the details, Jeff! I love these found tape stories. Yes, a future download opportunity would be very much appreciated! -Marty

I take great pleasure in listening to my copy of the Beachcomber Trio playing at the Kahiki while sipping an exotic cocktail. Thanks to all who made this wonderful performance available to us 21st century Tiki enthusiasts. Who says you can't travel backwards in time!

R
Rawim posted on Wed, Feb 15, 2012 4:31 PM

Jeff,

I too very much enjoy the album. Just great music to have on in the background, or when relaxing in my bar room.

If you ever do choose to release more tracks/albums count me in as a definite purchaser.

T

Really Jeff that's the story of how you got the tapes?
Man Jeff spice it up!
Tell em how you two found Marsh, That's the good story.
You could make Moby Dick sound like just another fish:-)

In this morning's mail I was delighted to see a copy of The Beachcomber Trio Live From Kahiki, which had been sent directly to me from none other than Jeff Chenault! Not only did he scrounge up a copy for me, but it comes with the low, low, number of 4/500 and he was generous enough to send it free of charge.

Considering my previous beef was with Dionysus, and not with Jeff in any way, this was waaaay beyond the call of duty.

The record plays perfectly, front to back, and as I've said before, is a spectacular recording. There are still some available on amazon and ebay, so if you're on the fence, buy it while you still can. It's a real treasure, with a fantastic time machine vibe.

I don't know how to express my gratitutde, other than to offer a solemn vow that, if the tracks from the other tapes ever see the light of day, I will be first in line to purchase!

Thank you very much Jeff, I really appreciate it.

TM

See? That's how you handle things in a professional way! Bravo to jeff!

I recently received this album and wow is it great!

This is actually the same one at the center of the drama earlier on this thread. I’m not trying to stir the poop but felt I should post my experience with this particular item.

First off I do not know Lee or Boscorooty. I’m not a vinyl expert. My intent is not to take sides, support or criticize anyone.

I’m just a casual record collector that when given the option will purchase records over CDs. I’m not a vinyl pro by any means.

The record sleeve was in OK condition with the corners being more worn than I’d expect for a record only being handled by experienced record folks. The inner paper sleeve was split on one end which was surprising. The actual record itself did not have any visible damages like scratches or scuffs. However, it had a ton of finger prints all over it. It was obvious the record at some point in time was not handled with the care a record collector would employ unless they were scratching with it hip hop style. There were a lot of finger prints on it. I’ve listened to it twice so far and it played fine. No issues.

Again, my intent here is not to stoke any arguing or negativity but simply state my experience. Boscorooty, I’m glad you got a copy you can play and enjoy this great recording.

Thanks again Lee for the record and making great music like this and all of the other exotica, garage and surf on Dionysus available to us.

I do have one comment regarding the record. Colored vinyl would have been a nice touch. Just saying. :)

Scavenger King

The paper sleeve was slit when I received it as well.

The fingerprints and corners? All I can say is that my copy left me in exactly the shape I received it. Clean and corners intact.
Whether it was shipped to you in the same condition? I don't know, and I'm not going to speculate.

Glad it plays for you, though. Having listened to the copy Jeff sent me several times on both vinyl and ipod, all I can say is that it's an amazing recording.

I hope he finds a way to release the rest of the tapes.

Green Noise Records must have found a few in their inventory when they updated their store or something as they have them for $16! Just ordered mine today!
http://green-noise-records.myshopify.com/products/beachcomber-trio-live-at-kahiki-1965-lp

The Beachcomber Trio "Live" at the Kahiki album was recently repressed in a limited edition of 500 on BLUE vinyl!!

They are available in my eBay store or at Dionysus Records!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

There you go! Super excited to get one!

Pages: 1 2 3 101 replies