Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Travel

If you could only go to ONE place in the LA area..?

Pages: 1 19 replies

P

If you were in the Los Angeles area and could only visit one single tiki bar or restaurant for the best tiki experience in the whole city... what would you pick?

I'm recently engaged and me and the little lady are planning a honeymoon. I've been pushing for Hawai'i, but we really just can't afford it... so, we're going to CA. We're going to start in LA, so she can meet some of my friends and probably hit up San Diego and San Francisco, but I want to stop by as many tiki joints on the trip as possible. Knowing that she doesn't have the same tiki bug I do but is supportive anyway, I'm sure she'll want to go, but not to make it a tiki honeymoon.

So, long story long, what do all of you Tiki Centralites think? If we're in LA for about two days, what are the spots you absolutely wouldn't miss for anything, or what are the places we could go that are the most likely to give her the tiki bug?

This is a hurry trip and a honeymoon, obviously, so I didn't want to tack the subject onto a "best of LA" thread already out there. Thanks, folks!

T
TikiG posted on Tue, Jul 13, 2010 3:50 PM

Tiki Ti - Hollywood.

P

I wish there was a voting option....

Two Votes for Tiki Ti!
They got a coconut monkey Hula Girl thing behind the bar
that looks like it has Down's Syndrome ....
At least after a few Ray's Mistakes!

What Day? TONGA HUT on SUNDAY of course!

P

I don't know yet for sure, but if not Monday we would be getting there on Sunday afternoon. Hmm... Except Tiki Ti is only open from Weds. to Sat. I don't know for sure what days we'd be there.

M
Murph posted on Tue, Jul 13, 2010 7:12 PM

The Rumpus Room on a Wednesday night.
It has the Tiki "look" and the Tiki Ohana mixed perfectly.

The drinks aren't mixed that bad either.

[ Edited by: Murph 2010-07-13 19:13 ]

G
GROG posted on Tue, Jul 13, 2010 7:54 PM

Tonga Hut on a Sunday.----bar

Don the Beachcomber on a Monday. ---bar and restaurant

Kirby's Rumpus Room on Wednesday.-----home bar

Tiki Ti any day when it's open. -----Bar

well its not LA, its OC,
but Don the Beachcomber in Sunset Beach,
Tiki Bar, Polynesian restaurant, and amazing hidden Village in the back room.
if you come on monday night,
Happy Hour is all night, not just a few hours.
all drinks and appetizers 1/2 price.

Tiki Overload in my book,
but in a good way.

I would try to push her for a stop at Tiki Ti, and Tonga Hut too.
but if you can only do one,
No question, Dons, hands down.

Jeff(btd)

J

There is no ONE place that is best, you MUST visit all three.:)

This shows how Tiki-rich the LA/OC area is when it comes to historic old-school original classic Tiki-style authenticity. I would differentiate each place as follows:

1. Tiki-Ti - It's definitely one of the top 2 historically significant Tiki establishments still in operation. It's been carrying the torch since 1961. Please refer to Chapter 1 of Beachbum Berry's "Sipping Safari" to understand how Tiki-Ti has a direct link back to the roots of Tiki in the 1930's. Tiki-Ti is a small place so it's better to go Wed-Thu or early on Fri-Sat.

2. Don the Beachcomber - BTD is right, it provides the best overall experience as a bar, restaurant, and "Tiki Mecca" vibe. The Happy Hour there is unbelievable value with great Tropical drinks and tasty Poly-pop appetizers. I would say it's the West Coast version of the Mai-Kai except I've never been there (and Bora Boris would probably call me on it :) )

3. Tonga Hut - A neighborhood Tiki bar with a friendly locals' atmosphere. I would argue it's serving the best Tropical cocktails from 4pm-8pm on weekends. The net new Tiki Revival cocktails created by Kelly are some of my favorites. Tiki Central more or less takes over the place on Sunday afternoons/early evenings.

Also there's Purple Orchid (not too far from LAX) and Downtown LA Trader Vic's as post Mid-century Tiki examples.

P

It's still a long way off (and the little lady may have found us a way to get to Hawai'i), but I'm taking mental notes from everyone. Keep 'em comin'.

And don't you worry, as one of only a handful of Centralites from the great plains, I will certainly let everyone know if I'm going to be at a certain place at a certain time so I can meet some of you luckier west coasters.

T

Congrats on the Hawaii honeymoon if that should work out for you.

Trader Vics Beverly Hills!

My information on LA is 10 years out of date so might want to call first, just in case.

:wink:

depending on day of week Tiki Ti
otherwise see above...

On 2010-07-13 17:09, Potato. wrote:
I don't know yet for sure, but if not Monday we would be getting there on Sunday afternoon. Hmm... Except Tiki Ti is only open from Weds. to Sat. I don't know for sure what days we'd be there.

PERFECT, keep this in mind, Sunday is the Tonga Hut Big Party Day "Exotica Sunday" 4-8pm and you will be able to meet so many TC Tiki Ohana there to as well as Great Original Tiki Cocktails, DJ Marty Lush of Tikiyaki Orch. fame spinnin' Lounge, Tiki & Surf music, snacks, grub.... Fun!
Now if your talking Monday? Go To Don the Beachcombers same thing there, great happy hour and lots of Ohana to meet and party with. To be honest, Tiki Ti will have great drinks but probably no Tiki Ohana to hangout with unless it's Wednesday and you let us know your coming so we can make arrangements to be there. BUT most likely on a Wednesday the majority of us will be at Kirby's "Rumpus Room" it has Hiphipahula's Original Cocktails, Vintage cocktails, food, music and Fun and it's Free all ya do is TIP and bring a few lemons & limes. Pm me or Kirby for the address. The Tonga Hut & Don's have a built in Tiki Ohana & Happy Hour. You can't go wrong.
Congrats to you! Have a wonderful visit!

[ Edited by: Hiphipahula 2010-07-14 11:41 ]

J

On 2010-07-14 10:58, Chip and Andy wrote:
Trader Vics Beverly Hills!

My information on LA is 10 years out of date so might want to call first, just in case.

:wink:

The original restaurant is dust ( :( ) but I think the TV pool lounge replacement still exists....

http://www.beverlyhilton.com/Dining/trader_vic.asp

Anyone been lately ??

H

Yes, it is still there.

I think Chip and/or Andy was being silly.

Jeff(btd)

If you're in South OC check out the Royal Hawaiian in Laguna Beach. I haven't been there since they remodeled, but it used to be pretty cool.

Bahooka family Restaurant.
http://bahooka.com.p11.hostingprod.com/welcome.htm
That place is decorated like if the Enchanted Tiki Room threw up. And you can get a vast assortment of cocktails.

Pages: 1 19 replies