Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Can Rattan Furniture Be Stripped of Ugly Paint Jobs??

Pages: 1 7 replies

L

I want the end tables and coffee table in this photo.

Sadly..I want them natural colored.

Anyone here know if this could be done?

I say it can be done!! Don't know the good way but, it surely can be done without ruining the furniture.
You can dooo iitt!!
I have those end tables but , I don't know if they are repros or originals.

L9

A good paint stripper will take the paint off, the problem will be getting the corners and tight places.
paint stripper may loosen any glue that was used though. you may be better off to paint them a natural color and then use a gel stain to "antique" it. then finish it with a varnish to seal it. Do a sample before you tackle the whole. Good luck!

S

This is one of those "I heard" advice posts, but... I heard that since rattan is a grass, once it's painted it's VERY difficult to bring it back because of all the fibers. I say give it a shot. I've gotten a lot of crap off of my rattan with that orange stripper (Citrus strip?) and then just gone at it with brushes, sandpaper, etc. Oh yeah, you're not supposed to use sand paper either, but whatever gets the job done.

When you're finishing it, try to find the 'old" varathane with the noxious fumes. That gives it that nice golden color. Apparently it's been outlawed in California. The new stuff is eco-friendly, but doesn't age the same way. The old stuff can still be found on some store shelves. I got this info from other more knowledgeable folks on the boards so maybe they'll chime in.

L

Thanks for all the input! I will try as suggested a combination of the above if I end up getting the pieces I want. Mahalo!

T

I use to collect antiques in the 70's. I have stripped many painted antiques made of oak. On difficult jobs, my antique dealer would send the work out to painting strippers. They are not cheap but it will save you lots of work and they do excellent work. I googled "paint stripping San Francisco" and found a few restorers in your area. It won't hurt to call them and get an estimate.
If they are cost prohibited, google "Soy Gel Eco-Friendly Paint Stripper". It is not as toxic as most strippers but if you do use any paint stripper, make sure it is outdoors and use a mask and eye wear.
The furniture is awesome. I would consider taking Lodge's suggestion.
Good luck with your project.

I am not an expert, but found this article for you, hope it is helpful.

Rattan, Wicker and Cane were and are quite often painted, generally white. If the piece you have is painted and dirty, it's best to Clean Your Wicker Furniture first, it may be that a good cleaning is all that is necessary to make it look quite acceptable.
(MORE BELOW)

Strip or Paint Wicker

If it still needs help give some good serious thought to whether it (and you) really need to go through the rigors of stripping, or if a light refreshing coat of paint sprayed from a can might do the trick.

A primer coat will cover most marks, then a final coat of paint can be easily sprayed on using spray cans.
Natural Wicker

If the wicker furniture isn't painted, then it probably would be better off if it isn't stripped. If the natural wicker is old and has been finished with a clear finish and it has chipped a bit, you would probably be better off to clean the wicker and apply a new clear finish leaving the chips as they are. If the wicker is stained, then use a good oil stain and touch up where it may be chipped before applying the clear finish.
Any Liquid Stripper Will Work

Wicker, Rattan and Cane require no special stripper. A liquid stripper, any brand, is easiest to use and clean up.

The wicker (I'll use the word wicker as an all inclusive word, rather than repeating wicker, rattan and cane each time) will become supple and loose as it absorbs the stripper, but will tighten back up when it dries.
Handy Tools For Stripping Wicker

Some real handy tools to use for stripping wicker are a tooth brush, a paint brush with its bristles cut to about half the length and a piece of dowel about the size of a pencil and sharpened in a pencil sharpener. The reason for cutting the paint brush bristles is to make them stiff enough to have some muscle, yet soft enough to work into the weave of the wicker.
Clean Before Stripping Wicker

The job will be easier and quicker if you Clean the Wicker Furniture first. You may even find that stripping the wicker won't be necessary.

If the wicker furniture has been painted you probably won't be able to get it back to a natural color since the wicker would have soaked up a lot of color initially and will soak up more pigment as it becomes moist from the stripper, so you would be better off to strip any large build up of paint that will come off easily, then after it dries, repaint with light coats of paint using a spray can.

Be sure to let the stripper work long enough so it will liquefy so you can push it off with your brush, because you won't be able to do any scraping, like when refinishing wood furniture. Tilt the wicker furniture so that the tighter weave areas will be uphill so that liquefied residue will run toward the looser weave and not have a tight place to puddle up.

You'll probably have to go back and restrip some areas, because with a job like this it seems that the residue jumps back on when you aren't looking. Stripping wicker furniture and other wicker items is very tedious and will take a lot of patience, but it is all worth it in the end.
Let The Wicker Dry Thoroughly

After you're through with the stripping let your wicker piece dry thoroughly, at least 24 to 48 hours before finishing.
Spray Paint Your Wicker

Paint is best applied with a spray can, because you can get into all the nooks and crannies and tight weave of the wicker.

Deft brushing lacquer is a good clear finish to use. It gives good protection inside and out. It's also available in spray cans.

Polyurethane is best avoided, as it dries to a plastic coating which is very hard and brittle and will probably crack with all the flexing of a piece of wicker furniture.

W

On 2010-07-21 06:39, VampiressRN wrote:
I am not an expert, but found this article for you, hope it is helpful.

Very helpful, thank you!

Chris

Pages: 1 7 replies