Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

non-alcholic tiki drinks?

Pages: 1 4 replies

S

I know, what's the point? Well, I've got some entertaining to do and I've got to make everyone happy. Any info appreciated!

Oh yeah, if you're interested, I have a website about 60's spy music.
Questions and comments alway welcome!

Mahalo

M
S

Great info. Thanks!

W

Because here, in Washington state, we know that drinking in public leads to the immediate downfall of civilization as we know it, I had to have an all non-alcoholic Tiki drinks list for a public beach birthday bash last summer. The key to a good non-alcoholic Tiki drink is to make sure it isn't just a big glass of fruity sugary syrup on ice. Unsweetened lime and lemon juices are a must, for best flavor you'll have to squeeze your own (check Asian markets for the best price on limes). Grapefuit juice is also a good non-sweet base to work with. Tonic water can help cut sweetness, as can some sour mixes. You can get exotic flavored syrups (including rum flavor) at restaurant supply places. Skip any of the coconut syrups that are white and creamy, I've never tasted a good one. Use Coco Lopez instead. For fast service come up with a half dozen or so different drinks, mix up batches of drink base that can be put in a glass and then topped off with club soda or still water. Then, of course, garbage the hell out of 'em with fancy swizzles, umbrellas, and fruit skewers (for faster service your umbrellas can all be opened in advance and piled gently in a box, and pre-make a pile of fruit skewers too).

[ Edited by: woofmutt on 2003-05-13 08:09 ]

None of these three lovely ladies drink alcohol, so I'm always interested in creative virgin solutions. As always, Woofmutt has done his homework - thanks, Woof. Another trick that I use often is to substitute Non Alcoholic Wine or Champagne for the booze in a recipe. I've had great luck with strawberry daquiris and pina coladas using this method. Many non-drinkers have asked me if I was absolutely SURE there was no booze in their drinks, 'cause it tasted like it had a kick. NA wine is available at most larger supermarkets and some places have drier varietals like chardonay that help to cut the sweetness...

Pages: 1 4 replies