Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Gallery

Velvet Glass - Around The World

Pages: 1 40 replies

Here's a sampling of some of our tiki-themed mosaic work from present to past.
All contain many hours of glass-cutting insanity and most contain genuine DNA samples in the form of our blood.

The first piece was created for the 'Easter Island, Myths, and Popular Culture Exhibition' that will travel from The Captain Cook Museum in England to the Kon Tiki Museum in Oslo and then on to the Museo Antropológico P. Sebastián Englert, on Easter Island. There's a link to the post on TC about the show:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=38338&forum=4&7

We're pretty thrilled that one of our mosaics will be seen in such incredible locations!

Tikiyaki #1 Light-up Mosaic

Tikiyaki #2 Light-up Mosaic

Keep A Breast

Easter Island Redux

Kahiki

Voodoo Girl

The Goof Gets The Girl

Flaming Bastard

The Eye Of Bali Hai

Luau Lounge

The Ghastly One

Tiki Farm

Split Personality

Puffer Fish

Tiki Propaganda

Screamin' Jay Hawkins

Miss Exotica

Kon Tiki Light Up Mosaic

Fire Dancers

Pee Ku Boo

http://www.velvetglass.com

[ Edited by: cheeky half 2010-08-29 21:27 ]

[ Edited by: cheeky half 2010-12-01 09:50 ]

[ Edited by: cheeky half 2011-03-03 06:51 ]

Super Art. I think the Tiki Farm is my favorite, Holden should have that in his tiki room at work. Dan's favorite is the Peek Ku Boo, I hope I remembered the name correctly. I like the light coming from the mug a lot. Thank you for posting, I'm looking forward to what you do next, Wendy

Super Art. I think the Tiki Farm is my favorite, Holden should have that in his tiki room at work. Dan's favorite is the Peek Ku Boo, I hope I remembered the name correctly. I like the light coming from the mug a lot. Thank you for posting, I'm looking forward to what you do next, Wendy

those light up Tikiyaki ones are ACE!
you kids never stop
and never cease to amaze!

T
TikiG posted on Sun, Aug 1, 2010 3:16 AM

Wow! You two have been really busy lately. I like them all. Its too hard to pick one favorite over another.

Thanks for posting these latest KILLER PIECES OF ART. G

(PS miss you guys)

I am simply STUNNED at this incredible work....NO ONE else does what you do...originality is so hard these days but DAMN what you have done...SOMEDAY I will own one of your pieces...someday....

Glad you guys have started a Gallery thread. My favorites have always been Holden's volcano and the fire dancers.

love your stuff more and more!

Where is the Velvet Aquarium? I love Velvet Aquarium's
show the goods man........

Thanks for all the support folks. We're busy cuttin' glass and fingers in preparation for Tiki Oasis. We'll update both the web site and this thread soon.

Oh, and the Velvet Aquarium is over there --->

[ Edited by: cheeky half 2010-08-02 12:53 ]

TK

very nice. "kahiki" kinda looks like frank zappa.

Here's some work we've recently completed in collaboration with the lovely Fluff:

She Devil Mosaic

Kimono Cutie Pendant:

The faces were created by etching the glass and then hand painting the details.

We'll have a very limited number of the pendants at Tiki Oasis :)

L

Always loved your work but the Fluff colab works so well with the glass mosaics. Really love these designs alot!

Thanks Liz. Drop by and say Aloha at Oasis.

Velvet Glass and Fluff!
What a winning combo!

G
GROG posted on Sat, Aug 7, 2010 10:04 AM

Stuff looks great. Looking forward to seeing you at Oasis.

As a founding member of team Fluff,
all I have to say is "HELL YEAH!"
Great work on all of it! So unique!

Velvets by J. Sallin

[ Edited by: Iokona Ki'i 2010-08-09 18:31 ]

Here's some new mosaics we've finished. Just in time for Tiki Oasis.

2 Puffers:

1 Tikified Serving Tray. Both functional and decorative.

A tease:

VelvetGlass ROCKS! It is so nice to see a fellow Glass Worker and DNA Donator in the Tiki Mood! Keep up the blood donations to your art! I tell the folks at Disney that they can find my DNA on the artwork too! Check out my site at http://www.davidebird.com

Awesome Work.....love the Ghastly Ones......!

L

Your art was so rad in person!

The new pendant collabs with Fluff were especially great--glad I picked one up for myself!

Hope you guys had a successful Oasis!

Brilliant work, as always. Too beautiful for this world.

That serving tray is too beautiful!
you kids never cease to amaze!

B

Totally Amazing stuff Velvet Glass, your work is So Unique and cool!

Thanks for all the encouragement guys (and gal).

David, Fellow Glass Workers Unite!
Liz, the pendant was perfect on you.
Kinny, we aim to amaze.
Benz, humbled by your praise.
Papa Moai! I see you're a local. Wanna meet up at the Kon Tiki. Say Fish & Chips on a Friday? I hear they're really tasty!

Nice hangin out with you two,this Oasis!
now get back to work!

Likewise, ATP.

Here's the finished mosaic of Marina The Mermaid, with strategically placed shells:

Marina approved:

Great stuff Maggie!!! :)

G
GROG posted on Tue, Aug 31, 2010 3:46 PM

On 2010-08-28 13:24, cheeky half wrote:
Here's the finished mosaic of Marina The Mermaid, with strategically placed shells:

They are TOO strategically placed! They're covering her boobs!

How can you EVEN think of marina that way,Ernie?
Marina's like a mermaid kid sister!
FOR SHAME!

it's soooo beautiful VG kids!
A suitable tribute to an amazing gal!

They may be covering her boobs, but we did the boobs anyway. They're under those shells in all their boobage glory, for anyone who cares to peek.

Of course, you gotta buy the mosaic first :)

VG, LOVE YOUR WORK!!! INSPIRATIONAL!

dave

P
Paipo posted on Thu, Sep 23, 2010 3:40 PM

Love your work...always have, always will. Way too many cool things to praise individually, but I really dug cubist Mr. Bali Hai, and the twirl-o-matic pasties made me chuckle. Incorporating mugs into your work is a stroke of genius. I have no idea how you guys keep pushing it so far, but please don't stop!

Thanks David & Paipo. We won't stop.

We are building a virtual Ebay store and filling it with both our tiki and non-tiki mosaics. Come on in and sit a spell!

In the Christmas spirit, we are adding the "make an offer" feature to the listings so if you or your special someone has been desperately waiting to get that special piece now would be a great time to do it.

http://stores.ebay.com/Velvet-Glass-Mosaic

T
THOR's posted on Wed, Dec 1, 2010 6:18 PM

SUPEER creative stuff!! I wanna take a hammer to anything glossy and glazed and make magic when I see these things...AWESOME work!!!

On 2010-12-01 18:18, THOR's wrote:
SUPEER creative stuff!! I wanna take a hammer to anything glossy and glazed and make magic when I see these things...AWESOME work!!!

THOR, your stuff ain't bad, ya know? I do agree, this stuff is very cool. I'm hitting ebay to do me a little shopping!

B

Way Excellent stuff here Velvet, I Really love the stained glass mosaics too, Marine is truly Incredible. Love it All, keep adding and never stop!

You put the Sassy in Glassy...ok, I know, it needs work.

You guys are one of a kind in my book, AWESOME!!

Your work is so good it makes my head hurt!

Cool stuff kids. Mele Kalikimaka!

p.s. See you at Lake George!

Merry Christmas Little G;ass Einsteins!
You two are redefining the genre!
Keep it up!
hugs!

Pages: 1 40 replies