Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

Tiki tOny artwork previews for Tiki Oasis 2010

Pages: 1 32 replies

T

Aloha everyone. I will post progress shots as I finish artwork for Tiki Oasis this year. Below are the unfired greenware hand made mugs awaiting orders to jump in the kiln.

Handmade Skulls, Monkey Heads, Blowfish, Rum Barrels, Coconuts, & Birdies are $30-$40 depending on size and detail

Volcano Mugs $20
For you Californians who know who Huell Howser is, a little birdy told me he will be doing a show on Tiki Oasis!

Driftwood Tuki Tuki Tiki Bird $200

I will have only a dozen or so Toucan mugs, the sculpt is on the right, it was destroyed in the molding process. These mugs are big and a little labor intesive, so they will be around $50 and up depending on how many glaze colors they end up having. I'm not sure if I'll do an edition of the same colors, or just each one glazed differentlly. I'm super excited to have this Toucan mug finished. I found these two sculpts in my garage when I was cleaning stuff out. I sculpted them 4 years ago or more. The monkey will come out next summer probably.

Stay tuned, I will upload everyday until Oasis with photos!

aLoHa,
tOny

LT

The skull with the brain lid is great! Look forward to seeing the finished toucan too.

SF

As usual, great stuff Tony!

See ya at TO 10!!

G
GROG posted on Tue, Aug 3, 2010 9:27 AM

Fun stuff Antonio de la Tiki. C. U. soon.

T

4 pack of greeting cards. I may have 2 more designs too!

These designs might end up as place mats or table cloths too!

T

Made a bunch of Ceramic Necklaces today. Just like last year, I'll be selling ceramic Tiki necklaces for the crazy wholesale price of $5. Yes $5. Last year people walked away with handfuls of necklaces for gifts for friends... (your friends won't even know you only spent $5 on them!)

Here's what they look like all fired and stained

Fired and stained with blue green algae

Tiki Bird Scorpion Bowl. Drink for 3 lushes or 4 lightweights! Straw nestles next to Toucans!

I pressed volcanic rock impressions into the bowl. Once its fired and glazed it will look just like cooled lava rock!

This is the bottom of the volcanic bowl, suitable for 3 or 4 person drink!

Up tomorrow, I plan on making some hand made cannibal head mugs, blowfish mugs, and little birdies!

T

A Hand Made Tiki & 3 "Canibol" Hand Made mugs

When finished, it will have ceramic skull hoop earrings too!
I've always been fascinated with the Goof, as well as the Bali Hai logo tiki, which I always thought of as a naive exotic portrayal of a cannibal. So, I designed and made my own "Canibol" yes, its spelled wrong, and yes that's correct! Also, my Dad recently found me a Bali Hai mug at a thrift store, and Oasis being in S.D.... it all just had to be!

Here's my drawing design for the "Canibol" hand made mug!

Here's a little handmade tiki mug

Obsessed with figuring out a way to make the volcanos look more volcanic, I experimented with some things and got the lava effect I've been looking for. I will even mix this in with the glaze, so the glaze will bubble and flow, like the German Fat Lava or similar to Gecko's fat lava... although they won't look as awesome as his!

Getting really excited for Oasis!

G
GROG posted on Fri, Aug 6, 2010 7:07 PM

You look like you're having fun. Good stuff Antonio.

[ Edited by: GROG 2010-08-06 19:08 ]

CREATIVE OVERLOAD!

good on you,man!

did you say $5 pendants?
ZOING!

Looking forward to seeing your great creatures in person! So stocking up on necklaces, too! :)

T

Surfed Malibu today, so wasn't super productive, but I'll have some of these 8x10 professionally printed glow in the dark prints! I paint on the glow in the dark lime to the print. They are numbered and limited to 50, although 1-10 have sold on Etsy already, so I'll have 11-50.

T

Really cool stuff tOny! I love the Tiki bird bowl and the little bird pendants, nice stuff! Wish I was going to be there, I'd make a beeline for your booth :)

well pretty much diggin all of it. cant wait to look- see in person.

T

Tikis of the Pacific 12"x16" carved frame $300
8x10 prints will also be available of this one!

Exotic Curios 12"x16" carved frame $250

Took photos with iphone at night, so colors are all wonky. Recently, I told Doug Horne about a drunk monkey wearing fez painting that looked inspired by his, so I thought it would be funny to do my own version of a drinking monkey wearing a fez.

available at Tiki Oasis!

T

Argh, I wish I could make Oasis this year. Let me know if there's anything left, although I imagine you'll sell out.

T
TikiG posted on Wed, Aug 11, 2010 8:59 AM

Tony - Man! You never cease to amaze me my friend, I mean you're always creating all this cool stuff...not to mention your fiercely loyal customer/fan-base support is legendary.

I know "amaze" is not the proper word to describe my feeling towards your art - just one look at the creativity flowing from this thread and anybody can see that it is a natural expression from your soul. Slightly jealous? Probably closer to the truth!

(For those new to this whole tiki scene - Tony is a constant - a solid pier-piling to the foundation of modern poly-pop, and for that alone we must salute him.)

And yeah - I'm diggin on your Goof project!

Aloha! G

T

Thanks guys & Tiki G for those thoughtful and kind words!
Sorry but both those paintings sold already to returning collectors! Avast. I will have more!

i really dig tikis of the pacific ocean. great work, brah!

M

Where is the "Like" button?

T

Been painting as much as possible the last few days. Most of these will have carved or driftwood frames.

I will have prints of the "Tiki of the Pacific" from the previous page. 8x10 for $30

Barney West Tiki Junction 8x10 $200

Tuki Tuki Treetops 8x10 $200

Escape of the monkey from his barrel full of friends 8x10 $200

Mermaid 10x18 acrylic on driftwood panel $200

Octupus' Garden 8x10 $200

We can't wait to see your stuff in person! We have been scoping out the "competition" and now have a wish list that will eat up any potential profit we stand to see. Looking forward to meeting you at Oasis- I will be the mouthy girl with the purse guy :)

T

Driftwood Tiki Wall Fish... as if you need more junk on your tiki room walls, well, here ya go! $30 each! Handpainted by trained monkies caged during the day in my shack and released at night to reek havoc in the jungle!

Tonight, I'll post photos of the carved crate signs! Washed ashore, I found 6 sides from a crate, so I carved them into Tiki room signs!

Signing off, from the little beachcomber shack in Ventura!

CA

you mean i was supposed to be painting fish all week!??? dang it all to H-E-double toothpicks!

T

I think hand sculpting those insane flowers on your tiki mugs is more than productive! I don't even know how to find the map to get to detailed Al Land, so I have to make up for it with whimsy!

B

Tony, You make it sound like your "Whimsy" is is something second rate or easy to do???
Ha, I Wish!!

M

Love all your stuff, but I have to say that Octopus' Garden is my favorite!

Washed ashore crate panels carved into Tiki Room signs, because without a sign, how would your friends know they're in your tiki room? As if all the tiki junk on the wall wasn't enough, you'll need a sign to inform now! $75 12"x24"

CA

awesome! how are you going to fit all this stuff in your booth??

Forget the booth, how's all this stuff gonna fit in the wagon?

K
kirby posted on Tue, Aug 17, 2010 2:50 PM

I am often amazed at how much stuff tony crams in the veggie mobile...

Dig the driftwood crate signs TT very very cool !

B

It was great to talk with you again Tony! Your good people! :)

G
GROG posted on Thu, Aug 26, 2010 10:04 AM

What he said.

Pages: 1 32 replies