Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Small cans of juices

Pages: 1 21 replies

A

Anyone know of a good source in San Diego to purchase the 6 oz cans of pineapple juice? We had been getting them fromt he Ralphs market in Hillcrest, but they apparently don't carry that anymore. I have found online sources, but the shipping costs are usually the same as the product itself, in essence doubling the cost.

On 2010-08-05 09:34, arriano wrote:
Anyone know of a good source in San Diego to purchase the 6 oz cans of pineapple juice? We had been getting them fromt he Ralphs market in Hillcrest, but they apparently don't carry that anymore. I have found online sources, but the shipping costs are usually the same as the product itself, in essence doubling the cost.

Smart & Final is the place. Occasionally an 8oz can can be found.

Erik the Red

http://www.greyhoundog.org

[ Edited by: Mr. NoNaMe 2010-08-05 10:29 ]

T

Yes, Smart & Final and Asian supermarkets.

I just got some recently from Albertsons (La Mesa, though). I'm not sure if the Hillcrest Albertsons would have them since that's a smaller store, but I think most of the newer/larger locations usually have them.

RB

Try Safeway. Fred Meyer (Kroger) here in Oregon stopped carrying the small cans this year :(

A

Thanks folks. I'll try Smart & Final and Albertson's. Seems to me I looked at the Smart & Final in Lemon Grove (near my work) a few months ago and they didn't have any, but maybe another one will.

Rum Balls - Easy for you to say. There hasn't been a Safeway in these parts in over a decade.

MN

I'd stick to Smart and Final. Unless you are just looking for 6 packs. PB Ralphs used to carry warehouse sized packages. They stopped beacuse anyone that would buy a case of anything went across the street to S&F.
A grocery store will probably charge three or so dollars for sixer. A case at S&F $8.99

Side note, use your Safeway card at Vons, Randall's, Tom Thumb and vice verse, versa, versa.
Use your Ralphs card at Kroger, Fred Meyer, Food 4 Less, Dillons, Cala and vice verse, versa, versa, versa. :)

On 2010-08-06 09:38, arriano wrote:
Thanks folks. I'll try Smart & Final and Albertson's. Seems to me I looked at the Smart & Final in Lemon Grove (near my work) a few months ago and they didn't have any, but maybe another one will.

Rum Balls - Easy for you to say. There hasn't been a Safeway in these parts in over a decade.

Safeway=Vons in So Cal...same company.

A

Thanks everyone. Went to Smart & Final on Midway and they had plenty. Now I'm stocked up and ready to mix.

I quit using the small cans due to the cost vs the big can.

Now I save my small water bottles instead of sending them to the recycler, I'll split a big can of grapefruit or pineapple juice into 4 water bottles and freeze 3 keeping one on hand.

I wish I could get fresh white grapefruit here in Denver.

T

I wish I could get fresh white grapefruit here in Southern California.

M

Wrong season for fresh white grapefruit - a Tiki Irony! Nov-April or so. :)

MN

On 2010-08-09 15:27, Beach Bum Scott wrote:

Now I save my small water bottles instead of sending them to the recycler, I'll split a big can of grapefruit or pineapple juice into 4 water bottles and freeze 3 keeping one on hand.

That is a good idea! For a personal bar. :D

A

On 2010-08-09 16:07, TikiSan wrote:
I wish I could get fresh white grapefruit here in Southern California.

TikiSan - The Smart & Final store I went to to get the pineapple juice also had small cans of white grapefruit juice. Might want to check your local one.

C

Found the 6 packs of little pineapple juices at Ralph's today.
I went to Smart and Final yesterday and got a 24 pack of various tropical juices in small cans.
Stuff is out there but might be a little hard to find.
Also stocked up on nasty ole Tiki Punch :wink: Gotta keep the blood sugar up ya know

A

On 2010-08-12 14:46, catmomma wrote:
Found the 6 packs of little pineapple juices at Ralph's today.

which Ralphs did you go to that had it? I went to three different ones to no avail.

It's ALbertson's for me. North Park on University. And don't get me started again on fresh white grapefruit.
Ran

C

I found the juice (as well as the cans of Nectors) at the Ralph's on Balboa Blvd near the 805. Clairemont Mesa

Not cans but I found small cartons (6.8 oz) of Kara brand Coconut Cream at Mother's Kitchen & Grocery in Costa Mesa.

On 2010-08-09 15:27, Beach Bum Scott wrote:

I wish I could get fresh white grapefruit here in Denver.

I finally bought a juice extractor, I found an inexpensive one at Big Lots. I'm now juicing whole pineapples, skin and all and freeze the juice in small 2 ounce containers. Fresh juice, even frozen, tastes better than canned juice. There is no 'metallic' taste and the flavour of the juice is fantastic.

Another method for the eternally lazy..

Buy one container of "finest call" mix. Empty it down the sink, the stuff is nasty.
wash out the bottle. Fill from the large can of pineapple juice, possibly add
1 shot of overproof rum to extend the shelf life, keep it in the fridge.

Reason for the mix wasting: it comes in a neat sealable pour bottle. works much like a pour top
on an alcohol bottle, but plugs closed.

All of the pineapple juice in the can may not fit, but you had plans for some of that when you opened
it, didn't you?

If you prefer to juice fresh pineapple.. well you can not get better than that.

good place to start for the processing equipment/conditions. If you are looking to do a small production run then you are probably not looking to buy the equipment. Search your area for universities with food science/engineering programs. My college NC State, US will essentially rent out our aseptic packaging equipment. Not all depts will have it though. For international standards you want the

http://www.rolandelectronicdrums.org/
http://www.rolandelectronicdrums.org/buy-roland-electronic-drums

[ Edited by: JuliaKhanam 2010-08-23 07:38 ]

Pages: 1 21 replies