Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Aloha Shirt book

Pages: 1 6 replies

I did a search and could not determine if this book has been mentioned in the forums before:
http://www.shortsinc.com/alohabook.html

It is a beautiful coffee table book about the history of aloha shirts. Lots of pretty pictures of really cool aloha shirt designs. My wife bought it for my birthday several years ago. She's so nice. :D

Anyway, it looks like you can get it for a lot cheaper used, either at Amazon or at other sites, I’m sure. Enjoy.

H
hewey posted on Sun, Dec 10, 2006 3:18 PM

I just got the book "The Aloha Shirt - Spirit of the Islands" By Dale Hope. Awesome book on the history of the aloha shirt, predominantly 30s-60s (and a little pre-history too). LOTS of pretty pictures too.

The book covers a little textiles history, "designers in paradise", printmakers, island retailers, the duke and his legacy, celebrities and their shirts, shirtmakers of the 60s, a section on labels and buttons, collectors, and an additional image gallery.

Well worth a look :)

We saw it at Barnes and Nobel and it was 48.00
We ended up buying it at Amazon for around half that. ($29.79)

It's really a nice book.

I took a class on designing fabric for Aloha shirts. The teacher is a good friend of Dale's. She said he is a great guy... She wanted him to see some of my designs. Problem is, I haven't finished any yet....

If and when I get some designs finished I will try and get my book autographed! It is a great book. I read it cover to cover, and really enjoy the amazing range of styles shown!

My friend designs mostly for Kahala. She does a handpainted technique, which I was happy to learn.

G

On 2006-12-10 15:18, hewey wrote:
I just got the book "The Aloha Shirt - Spirit of the Islands" By Dale Hope.

Beautiful book. Displayed prominently on our coffee table!

Yep....great book, I hvae it too. :D

H
hewey posted on Mon, Dec 11, 2006 5:33 PM

On 2006-12-10 23:10, WenikiTiki wrote:
I took a class on designing fabric for Aloha shirts. The teacher is a good friend of Dale's. She said he is a great guy... She wanted him to see some of my designs. Problem is, I haven't finished any yet....

If and when I get some designs finished I will try and get my book autographed! It is a great book. I read it cover to cover, and really enjoy the amazing range of styles shown!

My friend designs mostly for Kahala. She does a handpainted technique, which I was happy to learn.

Id love to know more about your class weniki! And some pics? :)

Pages: 1 6 replies