Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Ya Know Those Ceramic Wahini Busts?

Pages: 1 10 replies

Well, I found one for $4 and didn't much care for the paint work. Kinda literal and not that well done. This bust doesn't look so old, so I decided I would redo it.

First step was to put some Aurthur Lyman on the turntable and make up a Mai Tai. Then, cover the bust with some burnt sienna acrylic paint.

I let that dry a bit as I made my second Mai Tai... or was it my third? Then I worked in some burnt umber, darkening areas, including the hair, as the light of day begins to fade... time for just a few sips from the bottle of Cruzan Old Rum.

Adding some subtle coloring of cadium red to he flower and lips, and the result is ready to join my office collection. You may not, but I like it.

[ Edited by: Bongo Bungalow 2010-08-13 08:14 ]

A

I like it a lot! You gave it some class.

B

MUCH better!

Nice rich color! I like it!

Very nice, looks almost like bronze patina

L

much better Bongo!

what you did to it looks cool, but my first reaction was Noooooooooooo!
but if you dont think its old or has any value then, much better.

I have one of those and think I paid around the same price. Looks great man!

Paul

Dude!!! It's a shame that you have to be high to paint that well! (Just kidding)
You fixed that 100% I'm impressed.

On 2010-08-13 17:35, Sophista-tiki wrote:
what you did to it looks cool, but my first reaction was Noooooooooooo!
but if you dont think its old or has any value then, much better.

I'm in tune with this sentiment. I had to think it through before the repainting. I regularly see this bust and the one of the young boy unpainted, or should I say, ready-to-paint. So if these are still being produced, I felt OK about changing what looked to me like some one's 2009 project.

what's cool is that it looks like a 3-d velvet painting, at least from this photo.....like it fell out of the canvas and into reality...

Pages: 1 10 replies