Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

The Kahiki lives on in memories!!

Pages: 1 10 replies

From today's Columbus Dispatch..............

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2010/08/25/10-years-after-torches-go-out-kahiki-memories-live.html?sid=101

Be sure to check out the video and slideshow too!!

Boy, I miss this place.

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

[ Edited by: Jeff Central 2010-08-25 03:41 ]

Great article. I like the video also. Kinda sad that people are telling their memories of the Kahiki outside of the Walgreens though. Thanks for the link. Ten years gone......sad.

M

Is it weird to have my eyes tear up while I watched that video?

I do know I met a lot of great friends in the tiki community that I still know to this day!
Had some fun times drinking afterhours with Skip, Jim and the locals till about 3:30 every morning that last week.
Watching a 20 something local gal make plans to go home with her (now 50 plus something ) ex-high school coach-I thought that was a little creepy.
Having my modest motel room become a suite (it slept 6!) with Martin McIntyre (sp?) and others crashing in my room.
And meeting some celebrities like Sven, Joe Bob Briggs and an artist who goes by the name of Shag.

I have more memories-but I wanted to share a few.

Long live the Kahiki (in our hearts) , thank you Otto for having the closing night party and as I leave you with a picture of JT from the slide show I say (as I have often said before), Patronize your Favorite Business!! No matter how established YOU THINK it is , you may be sadly surprised when you show up there in the future and find it is GONE!!
I wish I could fly to the Mai Kai right now!

What an article! I never had the pleasure of going to the kahiki, as it was torn down whenI was 16, and my parents were never really into the tiki scene. We lived like 3 hours east of Columbus in PA, and I really wish I could have said that I went there. Maybe the lady who has the blueprints will eventually build a new Kahiki!

I'm surprised they didn't mention the story of the saved Kahiki artifacts!

Nice story though!

T

I love this question.

1. Who was the founder of the Kahiki restaurant?

a. Michael Tsao

b. Bill Sapp and Lee Henry

c. Alan Hoover

d. John Holt
I guess you could call me the flounder of the Kahiki.

W

I laughed at that too John!

How's the knee doing?

T

The leg is ok.
Going to perk up soon.

Hey we are getting some great info from this story!
Two old time Kahiki folks have emailed Jeff and I.
I love this stuff!!!

Please go to the link up top and give a comment, this
will show at least the Dispatch that this is of great
intrest and they will do more reports in the future.
Thank you!!!

J

The Kahiki also lives on in ... frozen food!!

http://www.kahiki.com/

K
kq4ym posted on Sat, Aug 28, 2010 5:42 AM

Great article in the Dispatch on the Kahiki where I played in the band with Marsh Padilla and guitarist Leroy Plymale in 1968. Through the article I was able to find tiki central and also locate some old Columbus friends of the Kahiki.]]]

Don Browne
LaBelle, Florida

K

On 2010-08-27 14:29, joefla70 wrote:
The Kahiki also lives on in ... frozen food!!

http://www.kahiki.com/

Nope...the frozen food is Kahiki in name only. The Kahiki was a destination place...the frozen food is CRAP

Pages: 1 10 replies