Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Appleton 30 Year

Pages: 1 4 replies

I have a few questions for anyone who has tried the legendary 30 year old Appleton;

1. Did you like the 30 year old rum?

2. Might you give us a brief description of the 30 year? Was there any 'funkiness' in the rum (and I use the term 'funkiness' in a very good way)

3. Did you per chance make a Mai Tai with the 30 Year, and if so, how was it? If you used the 30 year to mix a Mai Tai, might I assume that it was the only rum that you used in the drink (ie, you didn't mix in an Agricole or any other rum into it)?

The 30 year is way out of my price range, per Mrs. CincyTikiCraig, but I'm dying to try it. Therefor I'm forced to live vicariously through my fellow TC'ers good fortunes!

Mahalo,

Craig

I've not even seen any of the 30-year Appleton, but I have a tinned bottle of the 21-year old and have made a Mai Tai or two with it alone and it was fantastic! By far the best single-rum Mai Tai I've ever had. I mostly make my Mai Tais with Appleton 12-year old and St. James Hors D'Age (I've only got one full bottle of St. James left) - basically the "$100.00 Mai Tai" recipe - and I'd have to say I prefer the single 21-year old rum Mai Tai over the two-rum blend. As I recall, the original was made with a 17-year old Jamaican rum alone and I don't know how far you can take the rum's age before the harmonious character and balanced flavor of the Mai Tai changes completely.
Still . . . should I ever get my hands on a bottle of Appleton 30-year old . . . damn right I'd try it in a Mai Tai!

S

A good friend of mine works for the distributor of Appletons here in Australia and I have been fortunate to have tasted the entire range of rums in their portfolio including an 18y.o. called the Masters Distiller Legacy blend. I will try any rum I can get my hands on in a Mai Tai, regardless of price, and the 30y.o. would be no exception.

Personally however I'm not a fan of rums that have been aged for too long as I find they become too woody tasting for my liking. Having said that I think that all the rums in the Appleton range have a very similiar flavour profile so regardless of age I know that i'm drinking the same brand. I don't think there would be too much of a noticable difference using the 30y.o. in a Mai Tai compared to using any other Appletons rum. However I must say that I dont have very refined palate so others might notice a bigger difference than I could.

Interesting thread on the 30 year old Appleton over at the Ministry of Rum website:

http://www.ministryofrum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1344

mmmmmm...drool.....

Pages: 1 4 replies