Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Furniture Question - Caution, Involves Math!

Pages: 1 8 replies

T

I asked this at LottaLiving, but no response, so I'll try here - I have a Saarinen tulip table (or a very good clone) I got at an antique show. Now I want to replace the small table top with a bigger table top. Here's the catch - The round base is 21" in diameter. How big in diameter can I make the new top without it tipping over when someone leans on it? Surely there must be some sort of mathematical equasion that covers this conundrum.

For those of you not versed in mid century modern stuff, here's a pic:

http://melbourne.citysearch.com.au/profile?id=27700

Good question TikiFish, but I do believe there are a few factors missing.

~what is the density and weight per square foot of the material you want to use?
~what is the weight of the "leaner"?
~what is the weight and size(s) of the object(s) that will be on the table (possibly a centerpiece), that would add as a counterweight to the leaner?
~are you counting on only one person leaning on one side, since the equation changes if there are two leaners on one side applying more pressure to that side.

I would personally recommend, as is, not going over 2.5 times the size of the base. Two times the diameter of the base should be safe for this type of table, but by the looks of it, it's probably at that size already.

I don't know if this helps, but at least it's something to think about.

Calculatin'CaddyDaddy

T

I'm putting on a wood top, not marble, if that makes a difference. It's going to be used as a dinner table, so sometimes there will be Kraft Dinner and Rum Balls on it. The pic you see in the link shows the minimum size ratio I want - with mine, someone long ago must have taken off the big top, and put on a cheap little one. So I want to return the table to it's former glory. I was thinking 2x would be safe, but I just want to know if I can get a few more inches beyond 42". (without using a Swedish Pump).

48" (unpumped) should work fine on the base. You're probably going to have better luck finding that size round top too. Anything bigger may trigger that nervous feeling anytime you see someone lean on it, plus someone would probably charge you way more than what you'd like to pay for it if you go bigger than that size.

At 48", you can fit 4 people at the table comfortably. 5 if it's 4 adults and one child (maybe in your future?). 6 if everyone keeps their elbows to their ribs or if entertaining guests in straightjackets.

Let us know how it turns out.
Hey, which reminds me...What song ended up being chosen from the "Need song ideas for a commercial" thread?

Thankyou! I was hoping to go as big as 48" and am glad for your confirmation. Any bigger, I think, as you said, I would be nervous.

As for the ad?

It's gonna be 'The Girl From Ipanema', as long as we can get the rights and the masters. That's the next step!

Another trick used to weight things like floor lamps and some furniture is the use of plate steel. It's thin and heavy and all you have to do is have it cut to size/shape at a welding shop. Should be cheap enough. Have some holes punched through it so you can attach it to the bottom, might be a a good idea to prime and paint it. I know, I know.....It's alittle on the A_TEAM side , but ?

You go CHIKITIKI!!! 13-15" leg clearance is standard. Now, How do I get rid of Mosquitos!!!??? We got like millions!! Vector Control is laggin!

S

There are equations for these things, but you have to know everything to start with, and I don't want to go back to Statics and Dynamics class. Even at the size it is, enough weight on the edge will tip it.

The issue is how much farther out the top lip is to the bottom edge. This is basicly like a lever. The farther out from the botom edge you place the weight/force, the greater it becomes. If you put something heavy on the edge, it may tip, but if it's over the bottom edge, it will not. If you add weight, put it at the bottom. If you make the top and base larger, and you use a heavier material in the base (total weight for the addition) you will actually make it more stable.

Trial and error works the best. My old furniture co. used to make these fauxstone table bases (lots o contract & hotel jobs) that were made out of a sono tube(cardboard) reinforced with wood inside and we would wiegh the bottoms with bricks. An 18" dia. base would hold a 60" dia. 1" thick glass top! Weigh down the bottom like Chiki said, and you woolah!

Pages: 1 8 replies