Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

S#$T that bothers you!!!! (rant thread)

Pages: 1 2 47 replies

TM

Taking your dogs jogging with you.

I know I will probably take a lot of flames for this, but there is something I just find so wrong with it!
The other day, I was doing my daily 3 mile run after work. It was still quite warm, and the sun was beating down strongly. This evil woman was running with her two small dogs on a leash, around the track. She was there before I started, and stayed after I was finished, so I estimate she forced those dogs to run long past 3 miles.
I don’t know about other people, but I rarely see coyotes, wolves, wild dogs, jogging or doing long-distance running in the wild. Short bursts at high speeds to catch rabbits, or whatever, but not exercising.
Increasingly, I see people doing this. The dogs look like they are not enjoying it at all. And why should they? Dogs like to play fetch, they like to run at their own pace, stopping to rest when THEY feel like it. This evil woman was just running and running and basically dragging her dogs along. For over 45 minutes, probably.

Am I the only one who feels this is a bad thing? Or like usual, am I in the minority with my opinion?
Please note, I don’t have a problem with people hiking with their dogs. The dogs rest more often, get to drink water and generally like walking.
I also understand that primordial humans probably did not jog either, but at least a human has a choice. The poor, thirsty and tired dogs don’t.

T
TikiG posted on Tue, Sep 14, 2010 9:41 AM

I see the jogging/dog dragging thing all the time. Drives me nuts too.

Walk your dog - train your dog. They love you for it.

I'm with you on this one Lucas. If you feel like they need to run, let them off the leash so they can chase the mailman or the poolboy :D

Z
Zeta posted on Tue, Sep 14, 2010 10:21 AM

Animal Liberation!

On 2010-09-14 10:05, MadDogMike wrote:
I'm with you on this one Lucas. If you feel like they need to run,

let them off the leash so they can chase the mailman or the poolboy :D

Hey hey Hey,
My dad was a Mailman that got bit by a dog a few times,
and Kirby, and I are Pool Guys.
why hate?
:wink:

Jeff(btd)

Yeah really! What a waste of energy. If people are going to force their dogs to run for long periods of time, at least put them on a treadmill and generate some electricity or something.

"...I rarely see coyotes, wolves, wild dogs, jogging or doing long-distance running in the wild."

And I rarely see coyotes and wolves lying around houses or stuck in tiny fenced yards all day. I've noticed that when a dog doesn't want to walk or run any more it just doesn't.

However... People who go running with their dogs off leash are annoying as hell. If you want to let your dog run free then go buy a few dozen acres in the country and live there.

But women who run with the wolves are OK.

Yes! That's the way it was supposed to be by now...WHERE IS THE FUTURE THEY PROMISED ME???

On 2010-09-14 10:31, bigtikidude wrote:

Hey hey Hey,
why hate?

Jeff(btd)

:lol: I was hoping to get a rise out of either of you two! :lol:

H

On 2010-09-14 13:39, MadDogMike wrote:

On 2010-09-14 10:31, bigtikidude wrote:

Hey hey Hey,
why hate?

Jeff(btd)

:lol: I was hoping to get a rise out of either of you two! :lol:

Speaking of pool maintenance... required viewing here:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=37810&forum=13&0

S

My rant? Smiling. Or, the seeming need to force smiles all the time. Aim a camera at someone and make them smile. Why? Look at pictures in the old days. They did not smile. Why should they? Fake happiness? But it is at its most perverse on TV. Every commercial, every host, every show, everyone must be happy and smiling! Arge! I just want to stomp on Rachel Ray's toe and say "Why aren't you smiling now!"

TM

On 2010-09-15 09:08, Swanky wrote:
My rant? Smiling. Or, the seeming need to force smiles all the time. Aim a camera at someone and make them smile. Why? Look at pictures in the old days. They did not smile. Why should they? Fake happiness? But it is at its most perverse on TV. Every commercial, every host, every show, everyone must be happy and smiling! Arge! I just want to stomp on Rachel Ray's toe and say "Why aren't you smiling now!"

I could not agree more! And regarding the old days, people were supposed to look diginified and somber in photos! Not smiling like a puppy with two peters!

Thank goodness my dogs have their own walker (who WALKS them and let's them sniff the world).

OK...I'm sure I will get in trouble for this...but screaming kids in restaurants totally urk me. Come on people, if I wanted to listen to kids scream I would come over to your house. I am paying for some nice ambiance and a meal not a tonsil solo from your table.

W

"My rant? Smiling. Or, the seeming need to force smiles all the time. Aim a camera at someone and make them smile. Why? Look at pictures in the old days. They did not smile. Why should they? Fake happiness? But it is at its most perverse on TV. Every commercial, every host, every show, everyone must be happy and smiling! Arge! I just want to stomp on Rachel Ray's toe and say 'Why aren't you smiling now!'" -Swanky-

"I could not agree more! And regarding the old days, people were supposed to look diginified and somber in photos! Not smiling like a puppy with two peters!" -Lucas Vigor-

Agreed.*****

Due to a facial structure that bears no resemblance to Jack Nicholson as the Joker I have been told since I was a kid to "Smile!" I'm actually one of the happiest people in the world (I'm sure it's some sort of brain abnormality) but the one thing that used to piss me off the most was someone looking at me and deciding I was angry or unhappy and commenting on that.

My whole life I've heard intrusive comments from casual acquaintances and complete strangers such as "What's wrong with you?" or "Did you know it takes more muscles to frown than to smile?" and so on.

Such asinine insight used to put me in a bad mood but these days I just tell the comment makers that my face is 75% paralyzed due to some bad canned tuna I ate and I'm smiling as much as possible. Then I burst into tears and while they're comforting me with an impromptu hug I pick their pockets.

Oh dear God I just fully agreed with Swanky and Lucas Vigor? What the hell has my life become?*

****** Except for the "puppy with two peters" bit. I think a puppy with four nuts would be happier.

On 2010-09-15 09:37, VampiressRN wrote:
Thank goodness my dogs have their own walker (who WALKS them and let's them sniff the world).

OK...I'm sure I will get in trouble for this...but screaming kids in restaurants totally urk me. Come on people, if I wanted to listen to kids scream I would come over to your house. I am paying for some nice ambiance and a meal not a tonsil solo from your table.

Again, I totally agree!

Here is a true story:

I was a restaurant manager on a busy Friday night. There was this guy there with his 8 year old son, and the son was screaming. Over and over with this high pitched, keening wail! It was really ridiculous! A total temper tantrum and I could see that the guy was just letting him scream, to show the little monster that he would get no reaction. Of course, in the privacy of your own home that probably IS the way to handle it, but not in a busy eatery, and at all the other guest’s expense.
I kept on walking by and looking at this screaming brat and his ignorant, stupid parent, hoping that they would get the hint. They did not, and it just went on and on. People around them were getting up and leaving.
Towards the end of the shift, I was helping the waitresses get their orders out, when the guy approached me, all red-faced: “Excuse me, but do you have a problem?”

I had to swallow my rage and look him in the eyes and say “No sir, I was just concerned if your child was alright or not”. Well, he glared at me, and demanded to know the name of the owner.

I felt like dragging him into the kitchen and holding his head to the hot grill, searing him on both cheeks. That’s what he deserved. But, I had to take it…and play the “customer is always right” angle.

Recently, an online survey showed that 95% of people feel that restaurants have the right to kick out someone with an uncontrollable brat that is screaming.

But what has our country come to that such deplorable manners are permitted (and seem to be the norm) at all?

I remember being a brat myself, and I also remember my mom taking us home if we misbehaved….doesn’t matter if we had reservations or not. Out of control? Then you get to go home and miss out on a fun meal with the foods we liked to eat!

It is this sense of self entitlement people have that bothers me. Everything is ok! Kid screaming in a theater! No problem! Kid sticking his dirty hands in the salad bar? No Problem! Parents bringing Humvee sized double and triple strollers to Disneyland and keeping the kids there to 12:00 PM on a school night? No problem! People walking across an intersection at a snail’s pace and then glaring at you in defiance? No problem! Assholes tailgating you on the freeway when you are already doing 80? NO PROBLEM!

People say the 70’s was the “Me” generation. I say that was nothing compared to the extreme self-centered behavior that is all too common nowadays!

Preach on Brutha Lucas.

Jeff(btd)

Whatever happened to basic discipline? If I got out of line, my mom would pull out the wooden spoon! I can't stand it when I see a tantrum and the parents don't do a thing....drives me crazy!

Swank, Lucas, Woofmutt - I have to disagree with you on the smiling :D I smile all the time, I think I smile when I'm asleep :D People look at me and think "That poor cretin just grins like a fool, not realizing how horrible the world is" :D I feel better when I smile and it makes people wonder what I'm up too :D

And you don't know that I don't have 2 peckers or 4 balls! :D Umpire say man with 4 balls walks, Confucius say man with 4 balls walks PROUD!!! :lol:

But AM I with you on beating bratty children. And if the parents won't beat their bratty childen then someone needs to beat the partents!

TM

On 2010-09-15 15:44, MadDogMike wrote:
Swank, Lucas, Woofmutt - I have to disagree with you on the smiling :D I smile all the time, I think I smile when I'm asleep :D People look at me and think "That poor cretin just grins like a fool, not realizing how horrible the world is" :D I feel better when I smile and it makes people wonder what I'm up too :D

And you don't know that I don't have 2 peckers or 4 balls! :D Umpire say man with 4 balls walks, Confucius say man with 4 balls walks PROUD!!! :lol:

But AM I with you on beating bratty children. And if the parents won't beat their bratty childen then someone needs to beat the partents!

But see, Mike, you are an incredibly nice guy! Your smile comes natural....my situation is vastly different. You see, I am NOT a nice person at all...in fact, I am quite horrid most of the time...so asking me to smile is like asking a major league ball player to not take 'roids....it just ain't gonna happen!
My Mom is always saying "You never smile in any of our family pictures"...

Yeah. What's your point, mom?

http://www.myspace.com/lucasvigor

"yer jus not tuned into the series of tubes yet, let it soak in".

[ Edited by: lucas vigor 2010-09-15 16:12 ]

Mr. Mike,

My comments weren't anti-smiling. They were anti-people thinking everyone should be smiling and if they're not something must be wrong.

For the most part I too am smiling all the time. The problem is that my smile is undetectable unless I force it into a clown-like expression which makes my jaws hurt.

I used to get chastised from mom when the school pics came home because I hadn't smiled. Highly annoying because I knew I was smiling when the picture was taken.

After years of these false accusations I decide to check my smile more closely. So I went into the bathroom and looking away from the mirror I smiled. I then looked in the mirror and realized my smile, which I knew was there, could not be detected.

This led to experimenting to determine how much I would have to contort my face to create a detectable smile and what that felt like as I would have no mirror to work with before the school photos. So I would look into the mirror, smile so it could be seen, note how it felt, relax my face and look away from the mirror, recreate the detectable smile face then look in the mirror to see if I had done it.

My first successful school pic smile happened in 5th grade. I was wearing a flannel shirt with prints of whitetails in forest settings. My smile was perfect. Unfortunately my eyes were half closed and I looked stoned out of my mind, an effect only compounded by my longish hair and the hippie bead and leather necklace I was wearing.

Of course mom failed to notice my fantastic smile, she just wanted to know why I had my eyes half closed. So that photo session taught me two valuable lessons:

1. How to smile for the camera so it shows.
  2. No matter how much effort I would put into something mom (and dad) would find something to bitch about.
B
Brice posted on Thu, Sep 16, 2010 1:40 AM

I know it is simple but, turn signals.....please use them. You spent all that money on your status vehicle, then use that expensive turn signal!!!! I know you have a very important life and it is so much more important than all those around you, but please (like twitter) tell me what the hell you are doing!!!!!!!! OK...I said my peace...mahalo

S

I don't like dogs.Or kids.Or people in general.They all annoy me.I like my cats though.

On 2010-09-16 01:40, Brice wrote:
turn signals.....please use them.

But that would spoil the surprise!

This one seems to be world-wide. Your Turn Signals indicate to the other drivers what you are doing. Using them implies there is someone on the road other than themselves. The guy driving that status-symbol car? He's the guy from a few posts up in the restaurant. He's trying to teach a lesson to his kid by ignoring it while trying to talk on the phone with someone who is really pissing him off like maybe the ex-wife's lawyer...... just be happy the schmuck didn't try and merge into your lane with you still in it, or turn left into you at the signal.

Something else I have learned from Florida Drivers..... a blinking turn indicator means only that the lightbulb still works and may not actually indicate the desire to turn or change lanes.

Classic WoLfmutt!!! :lol: My middle brother always came home with some goofy smirk on his face at picture time and always got in trouble for it.

I like to mix it up a little - signal left then turn right. That keeps those cell-phone talkers on their toes. And what about those old folks in motorhomes who always drive with a turn signal on? Like they're circling the world to the left!

Me to my blonde wife who is standing behind the car: "Babe, are my turn signals working?"
Wife: "Yes, they are...no wait, they aren't...yes they are...no they aren't...yes they are...
(OK, that's an old one)

S

Right on Woof. I get that "Whats' wrong?" crap too. And the occasional "You think too much." As if!

And don't get me started on kids! We used to have a smoking section which also happened to coincide with a kid free section. Now I wish they would enact a kid free section. Since the smoking ban, it's become a day care at restaurants. And the 'rents are too busy drinking their Margarita to worry with their kids.

I saw this the other day and I wanted to stand and applaud: At a restaurant and Mom sees the little one on the verge of a tirade. She quietly stands up, grabs the kid and walks outside. When the kid was calm, she came back in. That's how it's done! No one even knew it happened because she pre-empted it.

My Mom, she'd say go outside and find me a switch. I'll be out in a minute...

Is America the only country where thinking a lot is considered a negative thing?

This Thread Pisses Me Off !

G
GROG posted on Thu, Sep 16, 2010 10:56 AM

Unga Bunga being pissed off pisses GROG off!!

It bothers me that the world's last two "living human ancestral fossils," Unga Bunga and GROG, can't get along or at the very least just ignore each other.

This is the 21st century, guys, not some jungle filled with dinosaurs and leopard skin clad women. You seem to enjoy indoor plumbing, fast cars, pizza, and Skechers, so why not stop flinging poo and evolve already?

Brendan Fraser managed to do it:

BEFORE

AFTER

M

PEOPLE THAT PUT U.S. STATE CAR TAGS OVER EUROPEAN TAGS!
Damn, now I'm all worked up.

HJ

Bicyclists in flashy spandex and designer helmets who blast through red lights and stop signs and ignore every other rule of the road and then act p*ssy when they almost get hit.

I despise the automated phone systems to start with but I especially HATE it when they want me to "Press 1 for English"! I don't mind that they have the option to press 2 for Spanish or 7 for Cambodian but the default should be ENGLISH! Unless the phone call is something I REALLY want, I refuse to press the 1. Sometimes it will default to English after a few attempts and sometimes it will just disconnect :lol:

Z
Zeta posted on Sat, Sep 18, 2010 9:57 PM

On 2010-09-16 10:08, woofmutt wrote:

Is America the only country where thinking a lot is considered a negative thing?

From my own experience, thinking "too much" is not popular in Mexico or Spain right now... specially if you are under 30.

B
Brice posted on Sun, Sep 19, 2010 2:09 AM

Guys with long fingernails!!! (drag queens get the exception) creepy, weird and wrong.

NITS piss me off. Neanderthals In TruckS...that is what I call them. Whey do guys in those big work trucks with more stuff hanging off the back than I have in my garage get in the fast lane and drive under or at the speed limit!!! GET OUTTA MY WAY NITS!!! Pull over, we can't see around you for the upcoming slam-on-the-break-pile-ups. I'm on the road an average of 5 to 6 hours a day, I don't have time to drape my arm over the seat next to me and enjoy the terrain. I have to get to work or home TODAY and you are hosing up our speeding lane...get a frikken clue!!!!!

Ditto on that using your blinker...HELLO...the rest of us are not clairvoyent...we don't know where your going...I'm driving here, don't try to drive on top of me!!!

How about hyphenated names? I'm sorry that we allegedly live in a patriarchal society (most men I know just do what their wives tell them to do) but hyphenating your childen's names is not the answer. Tommy Smith-Jones marries Sally Bennett-White and name their child Johnny Smith-Jones-Bennett-White. Johnny marries Tammy Wilson-Tirol-Houseman-Jackson and they name their son Bubba Smith-Jones-Bennett-White-Wilson-Tirol-Houseman-Jackson. Bubba is 5'11" and weighs 275, he would love to play football but his name won't fit on his jersey! It's a last name, not a genealogy record

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2010-09-19 23:11 ]

G
GROG posted on Thu, May 9, 2013 4:27 PM

"Must of, should of, would of"---- It's must've, should've, would've.

Using YOUR when it should be YOU'RE, THERE when it should be THEIR, and TO when it should be TOO.
GROG has made those mistakes too, but GROG usually try to catch them and change them.

Don the Beachcombers---There is no S at the end. It is DON THE BEACHCOMBER.

And, GROG can't believe how many times GROG see words misspelled in the news, online and on TV. What happened to Editors and spellcheck?

T

Skeptics. And believers.

So Grogs, you don't like it when people pluralize everything? That's the new fad! :)

I HATE it when people (hipsters) hold up their phones and record the whole concert! The video is going to suck and who the hell is ever going to watch it (no one!). When a glass of beer hits your phone and breaks it with liquid or when it hits the floor, that was me (I actually have never done that but I want to). And ladies, taking pictures back at yourselves is not going to prove you were at a concert, it will just prove how many people are annoyed by you and photobombing you in the background. LIVE IN THE NOW! Watch the show and enjoy it. Recording it is going to do nothing for you. Take a quick picture and put your phone away. Be courteous to the people around you, everyone paid the same for the tickets!

Amen lunavideogames!

If everyone would just put those phones away & enjoy life
it would be a better world.

I hate how Tiki Central is backsliding into a generic Tiki (It's all Good) mindset
if you encourage mediocrity all you get is more mediocrity
that may be fine for this current generation, But not for me!

People need to grow up, learn to take criticism & do better then just good enough.

On 2013-05-09 16:27, GROG wrote:

O.K., O.K., I confess, I pulled a boner!

Tiki Central: Tiki on TV

I will watch for that in future. In meantime, I will keep original post unchanged so people know what you were referring to and that you were not having some grammatical delusions or something like that.

Reality Shows...I am sick of them, they aren't real. With the Mother Unit in residence now, I am forced to watch some of them...painful!!! At one time or another some of them had some redeeming qualities...now they are just annoying. Even more painful is having to admit to watching them...YUCK!!!

Outside of the box now...BRAS...damn, I hate them. Sure I wear em, but the minute I am home, that baby is off. Great story here about my Mom who must have been about 92 years old when she did this. She is a petite woman about 5 feet tall, stacked and doesn't wear a bra...those babies hang down to her waist but really at that age you can pretty much do anything you want and why would you torture yourself wearing a damn bra. Anyway, she is at the airport in line chatting up everyone around her as they are making their way past security to board the plane. She has her shoes off and places them along with her purse in the basket. She get's up to the young guy running the walk through and he says to her "Ma'am will you please take off your sweater." So she says she can't its a cardigan (which is a shell with the sweater sewn on to it...essentially a one-piece.) So the guy says "I don't care what it is, please take your sweater off and place it in the basket." Again my Mom explains she can't take the sweater off it is attached. The guy demands again "Ma'am please take your sweater off and quit arguing with me." My Mom turns towards him and pulls her whole cardigan up over her head showing everything. The whole line is now laughing their arses off and the guy finally get's it and says "Oh my never mind, just go through." Thank gawd I was not there as they probably would have carted me off to airport jail.

C
Cammo posted on Thu, May 9, 2013 11:04 PM

GROG writes:

*"Must of, should of, would of"---- It's must've, should've, would've. *

Actually, all of the above are non-correct for two reasons; they are actually properly considered slang when written as a contraction. This seems like quibbling, but are usually seen as a dividing line between who gets into an Ivy League school (based on their essay skills) and who gets cut.

Second and more importantly, must've stands for MUST HAVE, not MUST OF.

Just sayin.'

G
GROG posted on Fri, May 10, 2013 1:49 AM

Thanks Cammo, now most of us on Tiki Central who are applying to Ivy League schools will have to rewrite our essay papers. You saved a LOT of people on Tiki Central much heartache and we are all very grateful.

Wow, MUST'VE is a contraction of MUST HAVE!? Who would have thought that? (or should it be "who'd've thought that","who would've thought that", or "who'd have thought that"?)

We need to contact the music industry and make sure they change the words from "I've Been Working on the Railroad" to "I Have Been Working on the Railraod".

Don't worry Cammo. Data on Star Trek the Next Generation couldn't (a contraction of COULD NOT) use contractions either, so you're (a contraction of YOU ARE) not alone in your (NOT a contraction of YOU ARE) affliction.

GROG miss Tiki-Kate

OOPS! Edited to change "we're all very grateful" to "we are all very grateful". Damned contractions, they're everywhere! (Crap! There's another one--and another one there, too!!)

[ Edited by: GROG 2013-05-10 01:55 ]

G
GROG posted on Fri, May 10, 2013 2:07 AM

On 2013-05-09 19:26, King Bushwich the 33rd wrote:

On 2013-05-09 16:27, GROG wrote:

O.K., O.K., I confess, I pulled a boner!

Tiki Central: Tiki on TV

I will watch for that in future. In meantime, I will keep original post unchanged so people know what you were referring to and that you were not having some grammatical delusions or something like that.

See there. A man willing to hone up to his mistake, to learn from it, and not be afraid to leave his mistake as an example for others to learn from. An admirable quality. We need more TCers like King Bushy the 33rd.

When leaving my neighborhood you come out to busier street. The street is way wide enough for the drivers who are making lefts to move towards the middle so those of us making a right don't have to wait. It's busy in the morning and way harder to make a left than it is to make the right. So instead of doing the considerate thing there's always one (or more) jackhole who moves all the way to the right, turns on his left blinker and sits there waiting for a chance to make his left. All while everyone waits not-so-patiently behind him!!!!!!!

GRrRRRRRR!!

PS:And if the abovementioned jackhole leaves barely enough room for a car on his right you bet your @$$ I'm squeezing by on the right!

Pages: 1 2 47 replies