Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Half-Naked Savages Review

Pages: 1 4 replies

I tried to get rid of all of the #@#@!& stuff, but it just refused to disappear....

'Hey Bahtoondah!'
Fred Barnett & the Half-Naked Savages

Wiki Waki Woo Music
Don Tiki has been known to present "lounge music" in ways that are closer to parody than a straight tribute to Martin Denny's musical legacy. There always seemed to be tongue-in-cheek aspects to Hula Joe & the Hut jumpers during Hawaii's short-lived "swing band" boom as well. Fans of the odd and offbeat now have another act to embrace, as Fred Barnett & the Half-Naked Savages step forward with a musical concept that is part lounge music and part retro-comedy, with hints of the Hot Club of Hulaville less Hulaville's gypsy violin.
Night-life veterans will recognize Barnett and Jan-Joy Sax as alumni of Wiki Waki Woo — the quartet that put out two albums of whimsical Tin Pan Alley-style pseudo-Hawaiian music in the mid-1980s. Barnett and Sax bring the same playful innocence to this collection of original compositions. Barnett (guitar, steel guitar and bass) is the primary musician and vocalist. Sax sings on several songs. The other Savages are Duncan McIntyre (drums and bass), Michael Wolf (jungle drums and bongos) and Pierre Grill, who provides the keyboards, accordion, brass and assorted sound effects.
The premise of the title song is that the tropical drink known as a zombie was perfected in 1957 by a Haitian "bahtoondah" named Haymon (say it out loud) who needed to come up with a concoction that would knock out an 8-foot zombie. From there on, Barnett and his "savages" serve up a mixed bag of novelty songs and semi-serious pop.
"Where Flamingos Go Go" brings the spirit of Tin Pan Alley to a Caribbean setting. The song has a catchy retro feel, leavened with simple rhymes and the suggestion that flamingos aspire to have plastic people on their lawns.
Grill's accordion, and a French-accented introduction, give cosmopolitan shadings to another retro-style number, "Dig Them Swinging Chicks." Also notable: "Swinging' in the Trees," which adds a big-band swing number to the album, and "You Make Me Fall."
Several instrumental selections show that Barnett is also a serious musician. "When You Came True" is a beautiful and soothing interlude. "It Don't Mean a Thang if It Ain't Got That Twang" and "Good Bye" also show what he can do outside the novelty music niche.
Copyright © 2010 staradvertiser.com. 

[ Edited by: hellotiki 2010-11-03 15:17 ]

WTF! 
You call that a review? I'm afraid spell-check would not even help you out this time.
Sorry hellotiki but it's back to school with you. :P

What is wrong with you?

I mean it's very un-dude like. I just copied and pasted the review.

well can you edit out the &%^%&)(&
so we can read it better,
please.

thanks
Jeff(btd)

Pages: 1 4 replies