Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

I have always wondered...

Pages: 1 27 replies

Z
Zeta posted on Tue, Sep 28, 2010 9:15 AM

If those "Y" shaped wooden sticks used for finding water really work?

Why bags filled with water repel flies?

Why dogs don't pee near bottles of water?

and stuff like that... If you know the answer, please enlighten me!

H

This will help with the first item you listed:

Dowsing is entirely a fraud, although often an unconscious one.

The success rate for diviners is about the same as that for people who use the hit-and-miss method when looking for water.

TM

A famous fraud buster, (who used to be a con artist himself), performed the following experiment. He had an entire class provide their dates of birth, and told them by the next class he would prepare them their own personal horoscopes.
When the class arrived for the next session, he called each of their names and handed them their own personal horoscope. He then asked the class to take a few moments to read the horoscope, and then when he called their names, each would rate on a scale of 1 to 10 how accurate the horoscope was to them. Each person who he called highly agreed with the accuracy of their horoscope and were very amazed in fact, rating them between 8 and 10.
Then, he asked each member of the class to hand their personal horoscope to the person seated directly behind them.

Of course, each horoscope was exactly the same. None of them had been “personalized” whatsoever!

TK

water bags and flies.
A housefly bases its sense of direction on the direction sunlight comes from. Some entomologists believe that when these complex, sensitive eyes experience refracted light, the insect becomes confused and flies away. from "how stuff works." i have never heard of this nor seen this. may try it out when grilling.

"Why dogs don't pee near bottles of water?"

I saw bleach and gallon milk jugs being used on lawns for this purpose in the late 80s. I also saw plenty of dogs run right past the bottles without any hesitation. I don't see the bottles being used on lawns anymore.

On 2010-09-28 10:18, woofmutt wrote:

I saw bleach and gallon milk jugs being used on lawns for this purpose in the late 80s. I also saw plenty of dogs run right past the bottles without any hesitation. I don't see the bottles being used on lawns anymore.

These were only used in midwest trailer parks where SPAM was the primary food source
and for some reason these people all had extra large foreheads.

TK

On 2010-09-28 12:34, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:

On 2010-09-28 10:18, woofmutt wrote:

These were only used in midwest trailer parks where SPAM was the primary food source
and for some reason these people all had extra large foreheads.

did they have monobrows and drag knuckles too??? i swear i have been to that trailer park.

I tend to be the skeptical type, but...
I used to work at a very old amusement park that had multiple water lines running everywhere. Much construction had gone on over the years and there were no up to date records. One of the maintenance guys, when he needed to find a line, or find a place where there were no lines, used a metal divining rod to search for pipes. A wooden stick wouldn't work, and it wouldn't work on old pipes that no longer had water running through them. I watched him do it multiple times, and all the other old timers said he had been doing it for years. I asked him about it, and he said he'd researched dowsing and that it didn't work for standing water, only running water (which frequently runs underground) so maybe there is something to the magnetic theory.

I'm with Hulaville; I saw a man whom I trusted find underground water lines with 2 "L" shaped brass rods. I too am a skeptic at heart but I believe that worked for whatever reason.

On 2010-09-28 09:48, talo ka wrote:
water bags and flies.
A housefly bases its sense of direction on the direction sunlight comes from. Some entomologists believe that when these complex, sensitive eyes experience refracted light, the insect becomes confused and flies away. from "how stuff works." i have never heard of this nor seen this. may try it out when grilling.

This definately works!! On flies, but not mosquitos unfortunately.

MadDog Mike,

You post reminded me... the guy I knew who did this, also did it with 2 brass rods (but they were straight). He said he could feel them pull towards each other when he was above the water lines.

He held them pointed in front of him, one in each hand. As he walked, the rods seperated and swung away from each other. We dug down there and found the pipe.

MadDogMike - I think you're right, it was moving away from each other - I remember him walking, one in each hand, and they moved somewhere! He could feel the pull. This guy was brilliant - McGyver had nothing on him!

H

Hulaville and MDM, you might want to contact those Dowsers and tell them about the $1,000,000 prize they could get from James Randi. Here is a link to the entry forms:

http://www.randi.org/site/index.php/1m-challenge.html

James Randi has had this open challenge for years (decades?) and nobody can seem to win it. It sounds like these Dowsers could easily pass the preliminary tests.

Insert picture of Vamp hitting Lucas over the head...don't mess with my Pisces horoscope!!! :)

On 2010-09-29 20:51, Hakalugi wrote:
Hulaville and MDM, you might want to contact those Dowsers and tell them about the $1,000,000 prize they could get from James Randi. Here is a link to the entry forms:

http://www.randi.org/site/index.php/1m-challenge.html

James Randi has had this open challenge for years (decades?) and nobody can seem to win it. It sounds like these Dowsers could easily pass the preliminary tests.

That was 40 years ago. Dick W is still around (as far as I know) but he's probably in his 80s now. It may have been a joke he was playing on us - maybe he already knew the location of the water line. But it sure seemed like it worked.

Z
Zeta posted on Fri, Nov 5, 2010 7:35 PM

I have always wondered how come there's no "cure" for male baldness... I am not bald but fear it like the plague... I heard that chiles are good for making the hair thicker. Also hen's poop. So far, the only thing that stops hair from falling is the floor.

H

On 2010-11-05 19:35, Zeta wrote:
I have always wondered how come there's no "cure" for male baldness... I am not bald but fear it like the plague... I heard that chiles are good for making the hair thicker. Also hen's poop. So far, the only thing that stops hair from falling is the floor.

Male baldness is often tied to high testosterone levels. Although not usually recommended due to certain side effects, embarking on a female hormone (estrogen) program is the most effective way to prevent male baldness. YMMV

Z
Zeta posted on Sun, Nov 7, 2010 3:25 PM

Thanks Hakalugi,

I have always wondered, what's the best hang over remedy?
Spicy food?
Raw egg and beer?
Ibupofreno 600?

On 2010-11-07 15:25, Zeta wrote:
Thanks Hakalugi,

Spicy food?
Raw egg and beer?
Ibupofreno 600?

Simple! don't drink.

TK

On 2010-11-07 15:25, Zeta wrote:
Thanks Hakalugi,

Spicy food?
Raw egg and beer?
Ibupofreno 600?

heroin and meth work for me.

Z
Zeta posted on Tue, Nov 23, 2010 4:02 PM

I have always wondered, what would happen if we all took our money from the bank at the same time?

TK

On 2010-11-23 17:02, TIKI DAVID wrote:

eggzackly. see latest headlines on ireland.

On 2010-11-23 16:02, Zeta wrote:
I have always wondered, what would happen if we all took our money from the bank at the same time?

Paranoia Will Distroya!
Kinks..

On 2010-11-23 16:02, Zeta wrote:

We will see http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-11811238

Z
Zeta posted on Wed, Nov 24, 2010 8:31 AM

I just realized that Darby Crash overdosed (on purpose) with heroin the same day as Eric Cantona's "kill the banks 2010 is programmed to happen.
December 7...
30 years later.
Cool!

TM

I always wondered if any Samurai ever travelled to Mexico....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hasekura_Tsunenaga

Pages: 1 27 replies