Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Central Ohana

Aloha from Switzerland

Pages: 1 9 replies

Aloha,
I am new here on TC and i just wanted to say hello to all.
I live in Switzerland, not the ideal place for a tiki lover, but TC makes it much easier. thanks :)

Mahalo and greetings from the European mainland.

TM

Nice to meet you!

Can you tell us a little about yourself, why you like Tiki, how you discovered Tiki...anything you have collected, type of "tiki" music you like?

Z
Zeta posted on Thu, Oct 14, 2010 8:57 PM

Bienvenida helvetiki! Cool Nickname too! Yodelei Jiju!

Aloha and thanks...

I think all started when i hung out in Los Angeles for two months back in the late nineties. Someone showed me some tiki stuff, then i discovered the art of Shag... then back home in switzerland i found my first "hand clapsed tiki mug" from the swiss mövenpick restaurant chain... from now on definitely infected with Tiki.
I started to collect Tiki Mugs, Tiki Statues, Masks, actually all things Tiki...

Music:
Music is another big thing in my life !
I collect vintage vinyl records from the fifties, sixties and some early seventies. Mostly Rhythm'n'Blues, Soul, Surf and Garage.
I am a DJ and I played guitar in a Garage- and Rockabilly Band.
favorite Tiki music I'd say Exotica, Hawaiian Swing/Jazz and some moody surf instrumentals. ... Sven Kirsten's The Sound of Tiki CD is great.

well, that was a little bit about me,

Mahalo and greetings from the European mainland

Welcome. You sound like my husband Dan. He was a record collector first and then got into tikis. He kept asking me to repair nicks and chips on his vintage pieces and then he asked me to make a "should have been series" of tiki bowls that matched mugs in his collection. Now tiki has taken over my life and I love it too. Pick up some clay or wood and get to work you'll find that making is as good as collecting. It will bring you joy. Cheers, Wendy

thanks Wendy,

i combine tiki with record collecting :)

but seriously, I have already carved tikis, but I was not as successful in my opinion.
I think I'll still have to practice a bit.... but i don't give up!

Mahalo and greetings from the European mainland.

Welcome aboard...love that Moody Blues sleeve! That was a great R&B band...too short lived in
my opinion.

Welcome to TC from across the pond. I agree, that Moody Blues cover is awesome!

H
harro posted on Fri, Nov 26, 2010 3:37 AM

Aloha and welcome.
i'm heading to Switzerland for the first time in January, mainly for a snowboarding trip (Grimentz), but with a couple of days in Zurich and St Gallen. Do you have any recommendations for bars/shops for someone with similar tastes in music?

Aloha and thank you all :)

On 2010-11-26 03:37, harro wrote:
Aloha and welcome.
i'm heading to Switzerland for the first time in January, mainly for a snowboarding trip (Grimentz), but with a couple of days in Zurich and St Gallen. Do you have any recommendations for bars/shops for someone with similar tastes in music?

Aloha harro,
-In St. Gallen you have to check out Klang und Kleid (www.klangundkleid.ch). it is a cool Shop with tons of cool stuff, and Music.
-In Zurich:
16tons is my favorite Shop in Zurich (www.16tons.ch)with new and used Vinyl and clothes.
the Mata-Hari is a very cool Bar (www.mataharibar.ch).
the LaCatrina is a cool little Bar (www.lacatrina.ch) and i am DJ there every last Saturday of the month, spinning Sixties Garage Punk, Beat, Soul and R'n'B records.
Or you may check out the Kon-Tiki.
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=37188&forum=2&hilite=kon-tiki%20zurich

Pages: 1 9 replies