Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Sorrel Punch

Pages: 1 5 replies

V

Aloha!

Once again, I am dipping my toe into the strange and mysterious Tiki Drinks & Food forum! I had to after being introduced to the wonders of Sorrel Punch at a small eatery in Seattle that served food from Trinidad. Sooooo yummy! Perhaps you all know of this Caribbean delight already - but for those who don't , I highly recommend checking out this tasty traditional beverage. Best of all - it seems (relatively) simple to make, as long as you don't mind making a big batch!

Here is a great how to:
http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art4005.asp

Anyone out there attempted to make this at home? Any tips you care to share?

If I can track down some hibiscus leaves, I'm thinking of giving it a whirl this weekend. Well - I guess I'll start making it tomorrow, so it is ready to drink this weekend! :)

Mahalo,
Henrik "VanTiki"

Henrik, welcome back to Food & Drink - it's been a while :D

In Mexico, they use hibiscus flowers for a non-alcoholic drink called jamaica (the "j" is pronounced as an "h" in Spanish). Since we live near the Mexico border, packets of dried hibiscus flowers are sold in all the markets - I have to try that Sorrel Punch

EDIT - Henrik, I took the liberty of copying the recipe from the website link; links are not very reliable and can vanish without warning

Sorrel Punch Recipe

2 cups dried sorrel flowers
1/4 cup fresh ginger root, peeled and chopped
1 stick cinnamon
4 whole cloves
1 cup sugar
6 cups water
1 1/2 to 2 cups over-proof Jamaican rum (or your favorite dark rum)
Lemon, lime and orange slices, for garnish

In a large, heat-proof crock or bowl, combine the sorrel, the ginger, the cinnamon stick the cloves and the sugar. Set aside.

Bring the water to a boil and pour it over the sorrel, spices and sugar. Allow the mixture to cool. Cover the crock or bowl and let and let the punch steep for two days.

Strain the mixture through a fine cheesecloth and return the liquid to the crock or bowl.

Stir in the rum. Cover once more and allow the mixture to stand for two more days.

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2010-10-28 19:12 ]

Because I don't know anything about mixology I treat it like cooking; cooking is an art and a recipe is inspiration, a suggestion, a starting point. (Baking, on the other hand, is a science and the recipe is a formula to be followed exactly)

So I took the recipe above and used it as inspiration for my Sorrel Punch. I started with a jamaica mix (hibiscus flower punch) Added cloves, cinnamon stick, and candied ginger (I didn't have any fresh :D ) and brought it to a boil. I let it cool and steep for 2 days, added orange, lemon, and lime slices, Kraken rum, and served it over ice.

Very refreshing and the spiced Kraken played well with the cloves and cinnamon. OK, I have no idea what "played well" means but the real mixologists always use that phrase :lol:

W

Dang Mike! It's 8:52 in the morning and I want to drink that punch right now.

I looks mighty refreshing. Did it taste like wild strawberries or kiwi to you?

Chris

http://www.westadad.blogspot.com

[ Edited by: WestADad 2010-10-30 07:04 ]

M

Sort of on the same line...

There is a beer made in Trinidad called Carib. Its just a plain Corona like lager, but they also make a version flavored with sorrel, and it is delicious! I first had it when I was in Tobago, but remember seeing it later at Total Beverages on the east coast.

V

Mike - you are my hero! :)

Henrik

Pages: 1 5 replies