Tiki!

Pages: 1 2 3 104 replies

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2010-10-28 13:24 ]

Z
Zeta posted on Wed, Oct 27, 2010 5:52 PM

V

:lol: :D :lol: :P

Nope. That's Hawaiiana. 8)

I sense this thread will move to Bilge soon.
:o

Jeff(btd)

J

On 2010-10-27 21:52, Sabu The Coconut Boy wrote:
Nope. That's Hawaiiana. 8)

Ditto on the Aloha shirt. Sorry Lance but it has to have either Tikis or an abstract modern design to be Tiki-style. :)

Wait, can that be considered abstact ??

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2010-10-27 22:14 ]

No Talking!!!!

T

No need to bilge this, but sorry, I have to use words, can't do it all in sign language or Rongo Rongo:

There STILL seems to be some confusion out there, between two basic things:

TIKI LIFESTYLE (all of the previous images, x-ept those dudes) and TIKI STYLE - as art form in design, architecture and decor, during a specific time period, in a specific place (as Sabu and John-O pointed out, only some of the previous images)

So, begrudgingly (because it is apt to continue confusion) I would say yeah, sure, that NOWADAYS it is all PART of "TIKI" (but was not named such in the mid-century)

By ITSELF though, each is, in order of appearance:

two KU TIKI statues, a MAI TAI, a TAPA ALOHA shirt, an EXOTICA record, a TIKIPHILE (I sometimes feel like that guy), another MAI TAI, a PU PU platter, a HULA girl, a SWISS fizzy drink

See, it's all very easy! :)

I thought the 'photo association' was already created in bilge?

Ok, I'll take the title of asshole right now, because I'm going to call it as I see it...

• What does this thread offer or what is it contributing uniquely to the TC "General Tiki" thread, and that hasn't already been covered with information?
  • How is this thread productive within the General Tiki Forum?
  • Why do we need a subtopic "Tiki" within the "General Tiki" category?

Look, If it is nothing more than a time waster, bilge this shit. I'm not learning anything more than what I've learned already from more productive threads under the "General Tiki" Forum. Tiki Central doesn't need a new general "Tiki" thread topic in the Top Level and Official General Tiki thread.

I would seriously urge TC users to use common sense when posting, and if you feel you lack common sense, please follow the alternative posting route link I'm including below, for a just in case effort.
BILGE

It is bad enough that TC gets spammed from outsiders, and has to be moderated, but I would expect more from people who have joined TC to learn and share what is classic tiki and modpolypop. We don't need clutter topics or time killers in the main areas of the forums, period.

I know I'm coming off a bit abrasive, but fuck if I care if you don't like how I call it. I don't sugarcoat, and I'm calling bullshit on ATP on this thread. I believe he did not create this thread with good intentions, and also believe it was created more out of spite because of what happened to his food thread.(Notice i used the word "Believe" to give him benefit of the doubt?)
I could be wrong, but that is what this thread reeks of to me. I am not holier than thou, but I also don't try to create and post bullshit sub-topic threads, either.

Had this thread been about a specific tiki related item or place, with information pertaining to its existence, my reply would have never surfaced....But I'm sure this is the reaction that was being trolled for, anyhow.

Keep TC organized within the specific tabs/categories/forums, and blunt replies such as my own will not surface.

And don't take it personal. If I came to your house and started spewing trash in it, I wouldn't take it personal if you gave me shit for it. I'd realize I deserved it for disrespecting, and trashing up your place, whether or not it was intentional. However, I would appologize if it were not intentional. You could only guess what I'd say if I did it with intention...

*edited for spelling, not for PCing the post

[ Edited by: Tom Slick 2010-10-28 10:50 ]

OK Tom, You had your say, Though I have had my back and forth with Sven in the past, here,he clearly gets it!
and clearly many, many TCers have very different ideas on the subject, including many inaccurate ideas on
"What's Tiki!" to them?

Since I have been unfairly attacked on every subject I have posted since a handful of Haters shut down the food thread
and because you and others think I am out for some sort of revenge on Tiki Central, which is completely ludicrous!
Also since I did a pretty good job of raging on the fools that shut down the food thread,why should I? nor do I, want to rehash that
unsavory episode! so give me a frackin brake!

This thread is exactly what it appears to be, done with out "me" interjecting my opinions on the subject
done in a way as not to stoke any emotional wildfires, which some of you clearly are not able to to do without flying off the handle!

This thread is about "Tiki" in the general Tiki category on Tiki Central, so what's your problem with that!
You can participate if you want, if not get the hell out, I am really quite sick of all the drama & drama queens here!

Also this is not 'photo association' I wanted to see who would catch on with out any rules posted
This thread can be as serious or as light as the people want it to be & without my opinions to steer it in any one direction or controversy

This will be the last I have to say on the subject of my intentions here on TC, if you don't like it get out of the sand box
and stop pissing on our parade :lol:

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2010-10-28 14:39 ]

T

J

You know I would have said anything related to the Caribbean is NOT Tiki. It's too easy to incorrectly throw Reggae or Parrothead Culture into the mix. However after watching "Soy Cuba" (the best Tiki movie ever ??), I'm beginning to rethink that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUINE6CrrDc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aT3Ii3hWM0

And most important of all, Rum ain't distilled in Polynesia. :D

TS

It may 'seem' I'm pissing on your "parades", but if a couple of your posts weren't so blatently out of context, I wouldn't give two shits!
What is there to get about a general 'tiki' thread in the main "General Tiki" forum???

I sense that nobody else here needs "to get it", with the exception of you.(Or maybe you do get it, and just want to see how far the envelope can be pushed?)
In any case, I'll ask again..
Why do you feel compelled we need a generalized "Tiki" thread in the already existing general tiki category?

You said no talking within your thread, meaning it is supposed to be images only? I mean if you are asking people not to talk, then it has to be image only, and if that is the case, how can you feel it belongs in this forum? OR....are you just looking for ways to test the moderators on what topics can potentially 'get by' on informal legalities and according to the rule of thumb posting here on TC?

I smell bullshit, so I'm calling it. I have my bigboy pants on, so no worries about trying to get me to see from your point of view no matter how you want to word it.
This thread is taking a deliberate stab at the loosely ennforced TC posting rules...I know it, and you know I know it. This thread is completely unnecessary.

Tiki Central in the general tiki forum does not need a photo association of what tiki is. If you really need to know what tiki is, read all of the prior INFORMATIVE threads posted in this exact forum, that you just bumped by posting this nonsense thread.

No drama queen shit either, coming from my end. I just don't like what I see going on, and I will step up and speak on it. If I didn't, or others don't, this site would be a trainwreck full of horseshit NOT pertaining to Mid Century Tiki/Polnesian Pop Culture, in every corner.(Even though, you are seemingly being on the sly, adding a 'tiki' thread in the tiki forum.) :wink:

Also, this isn't a sandbox, nor is it anyone's personal playground,
AND That's where I'M coming from!

[ Edited by: Tom Slick 2010-10-28 15:13 ]

J

And...

Yeah I know Yma isn't technically Tiki but to me she's truer to its spirit than a lot of the Hawaiiana stuff that gets posted here.

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2010-10-28 15:28 ]

J

Ditto on this Les Baxter LP with zero Poly-Pop imagery...

Tom, once again I have stated that I do not have any "secret agenda" that I am perpetrating on Tiki Central, paranoid much?
I am quite offended by your accusation without any facts to go on!

Tom, how about this, stop complaining about lack of content on TC and post some of your own!
Instead of policing the forums and threads, which have had the exact same "Lack of Content" you are complaining about
since day one.

Start your own thread & post the content that you say is sorely missing these days,instead of bitching about it.
you can even start a thread about what a threat I (ATP) am to Tiki Central & my "Secret Agenda"

You might as well change your TC name to Rush "Tiki" Limbaugh while you are at it.
I hope you are wearing an adult diaper with those big boy pants.

And if you have any more complaints or accusations to make how about going to PMs instead of starting the same bullshit
that disrupted the "Food Thread" and upset so many people before.

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2010-10-28 15:47 ]

On 2010-10-28 15:18, JOHN-O wrote:
And...

Yeah I know Yma isn't technically Tiki but to me she's truer to its spirit than a lot of the Hawaiiana stuff that gets posted here.

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2010-10-28 15:28 ]

She was a true Exotica Girl!

Tiki = FIGHTING!

It would be cooler if you guys fought like that :up:

Buzzy Out!

Black Flag is now Tiki!:

TC Rules or My Rules?:

Buzzy Out!

I wanted to see who would catch on with out any rules posted

Smart Move there,Lance!

Can't we all just get along?

Buzzy Out!

L

:)

Let the meltdown begin!!

TS

does that work? I used tiki fonts too!

More than half of the imagery is not tiki in this thread already, and adds confusion for people who want to LEARN what this site is about. Exotica isn't tiki, nor is hawaiian dancers, although they play intregal parts of tiki lifestyle, alone they are not tik....Ahh, you know what? fuck it!....post whatever ignorant shit you want. If a moderator feels they need to move it or leave it, is ultimately on them. This is one SMALL example why alot of the intelligent historians left this site, and moved on years ago.

And for your information, why don't you take some time out and search my contributions to Tiki Central....I've done my part contributing plenty of productive and enlightening posts. I wish I could say the same for yourself.

This Skipper hat reminds me of the Gilligan's Island Art Show coming up at the Tonga Hut:

Info: Tonga Hut, Hollywood CA
If you plan on having a drink that night, you might want to call it in ahead of time.

Buzzy Out!

So if you don't like a thread you just mob & gang up on it?
so why are you few trying to create trouble? so you can kill this thread to?
your number one goal being censorship? or just personal vendetta's?

what a bunch of ignorant children.

TS

Those floatation devices Pam has, reminds me of if I were to get shipwrecked on Giligans Island, I'd like to have a pair like em...

TS

This thread was finished at post #'s 3,4,8,12,13.........This was the exact reasoning why this thread wasn't going to fly...I'm just telling you that the writing was already on the wall, before I commented.

On 2010-10-28 16:49, Tom Slick wrote:

does that work? I used tiki fonts too!

More than half of the imagery is not tiki in this thread already, and adds confusion for people who want to LEARN what this site is about. Exotica isn't tiki, nor is hawaiian dancers, although they play intregal parts of tiki lifestyle, alone they are not tik....Ahh, you know what? fuck it!....post whatever ignorant shit you want. If a moderator feels they need to move it or leave it, is ultimately on them. This is one SMALL example why alot of the intelligent historians left this site, and moved on years ago.

And for your information, why don't you take some time out and search my contributions to Tiki Central....I've done my part contributing plenty of productive and enlightening posts. I wish I could say the same for yourself.

Maybe you should do the same for my posts,at least I don't feel a need to attack other people I may disagree with.
And thanks for taking this to PMs you are obviously trying to force your point of view in the forum for disruptive reasons
instead of taking this up with me personally.

L

TS

First of all, I don't need to take this up personally with you. You posted a thread that made absolutely no sense in the public, and I called it out. There is nothing personal here on my end, or as you would say, no personal hidden agenda, unless you feel differently?
Either way, it really makes no difference to me. I feel you purposely put a generic tiki topic within the general tiki forum, just to test the waters...
If I am mistaken, I truly appologize to you. However, you are saying that I have no proof, but what I do have is cirumstancial evidence, based off of the food thread. This thread was heading the same way, by your own hand and posts, no less. Now either one of two things here are true;

Either you were being spiteful because the food thread was moved, and you though you'd be cute;
or
you are a complete uber idiot, and don't understand the main forum "General Tiki" already existed, so you posted a self titled "Tiki" thread within it.

I gave you the benefit of the doubt, by stating you were testing the mods with this generalized tiki thread within the General Tiki Forum, but if I was wrong in that assumption, please correct me?

I didn't fall off of the tiki truck yesterday, man...I've been here since 2003, and joined TC in '05. Every once in a while we get wise guys, who think they can come post whatever, test waters, and dilute the spirit of what Tiki Central represents. When they get called out, they first get defensive, then they get spiteful and do whatever they can to push buttons and envelopes. After that, they see "Ohana" come together to defend TC mission statement, and after that it becomes the old "They teamed up on me" shit... Did you ever think that just maybe there would be nobody to team up against, if people followed the TC etiquette and respected the forums for what they are, instead of trying to challenge them..?

Like I said a million times, Its absolutely nothing personal on my end, rather than just keeping threads as content correct as possible. If you cannot handle that type of organization, maybe you question yourself why you are really here?

What bothers me now, is that because I felt compelled to be blunt, people who do not know me personally are now going to think I'm an asshole, which I am not. I'm one of the most laid back, yet passionate about tiki knowledge guys out there...Oh well, can't satisfy all of the people all of the time, I guess.

It's real simple,if you don't like it,just go to what ever thread is your cup of tea
and stop trying to kill this one,just because you don't get it? like it? or are just targeting
this one because it's started by me, yes! I know this is a personal attack.

Leleliz don't you have to go post on "Tiki Finds" all the cool "Tiki mugs" you bought today!, since this is the bulk of what you
contribute to Tiki Central,you are a fine example of "Tiki Content" expert?
or is this just compulsive need to post everything you buy, i.e "collectors syndrome"?

On 2010-10-28 17:03, Tom Slick wrote:
This thread was finished at post #'s 3,4,8,12,13.........This was the exact reasoning why this thread wasn't going to fly...I'm just telling you that the writing was already on the wall, before I commented.

Obviously this is what you are setting out to accomplish, Otherwise you would not have taken the time out to disrupt this thread
and there is so much hypocrisy in what you have said it is ridiculous.

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2010-10-28 17:52 ]

L

On 2010-10-28 17:41, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Leleliz don't you have to go post on "Tiki Finds" all the cool "Tiki mugs" you bought today!, since this is the bulk of what you
contribute to Tiki Central,you are a fine example of "Tiki Content" expert?
or is this just compulsive need to post everything you buy, i.e "collectors syndrome"?

Sadly I didn't get a chance to go buy any cool tiki mugs today but I will tomorrow so stay tuned! I know its hard to be you sometimes ATP what with everyone ganging up on you and targeting your threads but don't be jealous...don't cry in your cheerios...don't have yet ANOTHER meltdown...it will all be ok if you just walk away from your keyboard for a few hours. Deep breaths...deep breaths...

oh and btw I forgot to say I have never ever said anything about being an expert on tiki....I just like to brag when I find killer stuff for cheap :)

[ Edited by: leleliz 2010-10-28 18:04 ]

sigh

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
Tiki Central is a place to celebrate the classic Tiki Bars of the mid-century and the design aesthetic they established. This movement grew in popularity after World War II when America had a new fascination with the South Seas and Hawaii. Tiki Bars sought to bring an idealized tropical paradise into the concrete jungle of the Modern World. Very little of it was genuine -- born mostly out of the likes of Hollywood art directors and modern architects -- but it all seemed real to a then-naïve public’s eye. The Tiki style started in bars and restaurants but soon spilled over into all forms of popular culture, including music, food, dress, TV and movies, and other forms of architecture.

The Tiki that Tiki Central focuses on is a mid-century American invention that is Polynesia-inspired. We’re here to discuss classic Tiki, what made it great, how to celebrate it and preserve it today, and how to create and influence new Tiki that isn’t generic, watered down, or misguided. The definitive guide is The Book Of Tiki, and we highly recommend that everyone on Tiki Central get the book and read up.

What Tiki Central Isn't
Everyone here at Tiki Central is passionate about the Polynesian Pop movement. While the exact edges are blurry, we can give you a bit of insight into what Tiki Central is not about:

It’s not about Jimmy Buffett and Parrotheads
It’s not modern plastic, brightly-colored tiki party decorations
It’s not about the Caribbean/Key west design aesthetic
It’s not about Reggae
It’s not about African-art inspired masks/carvings/design
It’s not about Margaritas and tequila-based drinks
It's not about simply anything that has a tiki on it or in it
It is okay to like one or more of the above and be a member of Tiki Central, just remember that it's not our focus. There are plenty of places on the web for that. We encourage new users who may not know what Tiki is to read up, search our forums, and ask questions

Z
Zeta posted on Thu, Oct 28, 2010 6:17 PM

On 2010-10-28 17:03, Tom Slick wrote:

Cool! My post was #5 so, I'm safe!

TS

On 2010-10-28 17:41, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
It's real simple,if you don't like it,just go to what ever thread is your cup of tea
and stop trying to kill this one,just because you don't get it? like it?

Yeah, ok sure...I'll just go to other threads, until ALL of the useful threads on Tiki Central are bumped by bullshit and spam, and then eventually I'll get fed up and move on to another messageboard, right?
WRONG. YOU stop posting irrelevant or unneeded posts, and TC will be a better place for it!

or are just targeting
this one because it's started by me, yes! I know this is a personal attack.

Really? Now who looks paranoid? It has nothing to do with you as a person, as much as it has to do with your off(pretending to be On) topic postings.

Obviously this is what you are setting out to accomplish, Otherwise you would not have taken the time out to disrupt this thread

This thread actually disrupted and confused the Top level "General Tiki" Forum when it was first posted, period.
It's too bad most people dont want to comment and subject themselves to a pissing match. Bottom line here is, this thread was not needed to identify tiki, in addition when post number 3, posted by yourself was already off topic, and confuses all lurkers.

This is all I am saying on the subject. I've said my piece.

[ Edited by: Tom Slick 2010-10-28 18:34 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 104 replies