Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Saffron Gin Cocktail

Pages: 1 9 replies

TT

So, I picked up a bottle of saffron gin the other day and have yet to try it out.

Anybody else tried it? Here are some recommended cocktails using it that I found online:

http://www.emporiabrands.com/brochure/spiritpages/saffron_cocktails.htm

I have a cocktail in mind for the saffron gin that's just a concept right now, but here it is. I need to pick up some citrus but I'll report back and let you know how it goes.

I call this the Charlie Chan. I envision it as a counterpart to the Fu Manchu. Fu Manchu was slender and a force for evil but Charlie Chan was a chubby detective on the side of good.

CHARLIE CHAN

1 & 1/2 oz Saffron Gin
1 oz El Dorado 12 Year Demerara
1/2 oz Cointreau
1/4 oz Lemongrass Syrup
1/4 oz Ginger Syrup
1 oz sweet tangerine juice
1 oz lemon juice
Splash of soda

Shake with crushed ice and serve.

[ Edited by: Trader Tom 2010-11-02 02:54 ]

Never seen that gin before, it looks yummy!!! I prefer gin and really just like a simple gin and tonic. Those recipes on that link sound delicious and have some interesting ingredients. I look forward to hearing how your cocktail turns out...show a picture too if you can. I'll be keeping my eye out for some of this gin.

Shazbot! No lemongass syrup! Have everything else, though!

[ Edited by: GentleHangman 2010-11-02 14:53 ]

TT

Turns out I didn't have any lemongrass syrup either. Or Cointreau for that matter. Double Shazbot!

However, I did persevere to try the drink with a couple of substitutions this evening (morning?) over at Kirby's Rumpus Room.

Here is the final product which I made two of and which several people had a chance to sample. Not bad at all! Tonga Tom took a picture and I'll put that up at some point...

CHARLIE CHAN

1 & 1/2 oz Saffron Gin
1 oz El Dorado 12 Year Demerara
1/2 oz Grand Marnier
1/2 oz Orgeat Syrup
1/4 oz Ginger Syrup
1 oz sweet tangerine juice
1 oz lemon juice
Splash of soda

Shake with crushed ice and serve.

Looks good Trader Tom . . . gonna give that one a solid whirl!

Here's Tonga Toms's photo of me making (or having made) the Charlie Chan this last Tuesday at the Rumpus Room.

It's in the Tony's glass with some of the other ingredients behind it.

V
virani posted on Sat, Nov 6, 2010 1:31 AM

looks very good.
funny, this Gin comes from France, and I've never seen it here. Probably only for exportation.

Virani, I think it's just coming into the shops now, in Europe.

A

Pardon the pun, but the first thing I'd make with Saffron gin would be a SAFFRON BASTARD! It's a gin drink after all, at least from Joe Scialom's original recipe (the Bum has the recipe in Remixed)...

1 oz gin
1 oz brandy
1/2 oz Rose's lime juice cordial
2 dashes Angostura bitters
4 oz ginger beer

Shake everything, except ginger beer, with ice. Stir in ginger beer and pour into a double old-fashioned glass. Garnish with orange slice and sprig of mint.

-Randy

I love the pun! I'll have to try one of those immediately.

Pages: 1 9 replies