Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

back yard tiki-hut bar

Pages: 1 34 replies

S

I am working on a do-it-yourself kit.......tiki-hut bar

still in the prototype stage so far

It is not that big....about 5' x 5'
Like I said, this is a prototype. I put the frame together by myself using about 20 or 30 3" screws
I'll post more pictures next week.

S

BS

Looks like a good start, are you planning to pre-fab the panels and flat pack for shipping?

Are you already in the construction business?

S

I build roof trusses as a living.......so I have been thinking about this for awhile.
Yeah, the panels would be fre-fabricated. I am thinking that some TiKi lovers might like a skeleton of a hut that they can finish off themselves.
We'll see how this one turns out.

can't wait to see the finish product lookin good!

Thats amazing! I have an area by my pool where something like that would be great. Keep up the good work!

S

Thanks Suicide TiKi, I was thinking that it would work well by a pool. More progress pix by the weekend I hope.

S

the ridge board

Throw a door on the front of this and it sort of looks like the photo on the contents page of TIKI MODERN.

S

a few more progress pix

been working on it in my spare time.....in other words, not very much.

M

I like the outrigger beam! ZAZZ!!

IT JUST KEEPS GETTING BETTER AND BETTER!!!!!

S

ready for a floor and a roof next

Wow! It's truly amazing. You've shown how much can be accomplished in even a small space. Great morale boost for those of us who rent and thought we'd never be able to have a really cool tiki bar. Looks as though, with a little advance planning in the finishing-out phase, it could easily be dismantled to accommodate relocation to a different property if necessary. You're definitely on to something here. If you ask me, it's ready for marketing roll-out right now. I think you're absolutely correct in thinking that lots of potential buyers would enjoy finishing it off themselves, in accordance with their personal tastes, budgets, and anticipated permanence in their current homes. Will enjoy seeing how you finish it off because you're obviously skilled and creative. But, meanwhile, if you were to launch the product as-is (even without the totally tiki raked roof beam) you'd have do-it-yourselfers all over the country finishing off their projects in their own styles. You then create a club/website/forum (such as a VW owners club or an Airstream Owners club) wherein people share ideas, stories, tips, and photos - very much like this forum but devoted exclusively to your pre-fab huts. I predict that your kits and all of the many clever ways people will devise to to trick them out would go viral. It would also save you from having to create a whole bunch of examples for marketing purposes - your customers will gladly do it for you. I'm stoked. Keep up the great work.

It appears to be mostly pressure-treated lumber, or is it a stain?

Thanks for the encouraging review, Kawikasurf.......I need to finish off this one and see how it looks.
Bamboo Stu, it does look like pressure treated lumber in the photos. It isn"t though.....I had a few gallons of stain left over from another project that I used for the wall panels and roof.It is a little more green than I remembered. I am hoping that with some bamboo, matting, shelves full of tiki mugs and a couple of TiKis that it will blend into something interesting and fun.
Thanks for looking.

a little more progress......not much spare time to work on it untill after Christmas probably

Man that thing is sweet! Would you like to share your cost on this project so far? Nice work keep the photos coming.

thanks, big tikis. I'm not sure of the cost so far because I used some materials that I had left over from other projects. I'll figure it out when I'm done with it. I have some left over bamboo fencing and some cedar fence boards that I plan to use on the exterior.

Great use of left over material. Was this project your own vision, or did you have something as a reference? Can't wait to see how it turns out!

Looking good so far...love the beam!!!

S

thanks, VampiressRN.
BG TIKIS, I don't really have any one thing as a reference. I just had an idea and a sketch that I had to try to turn into something. It really shouldn't be taking me so long to finish it...............I have been building it at work after hours and just have been too busy. Hope to finish it soon. If I can turn it into some kind of a kit, I'll have to make some changes (not in the design, just in the construction)
Thanks again for looking.

S

finally started doing some more work on this project

I used bamboo fencing and 1x6 cedar fencing to cover the wall panels
at the corners under the bar (where the bamboo ends) I will use some 2x10s with TiKis carved into them

I sliced a palm log in half, then cut a notch out of the back of them to cover the 2x4s at the corners.
next, I will carve them into a couple of simple TiKis

Any updates to your project? Would love to see the final product.

That prototype still sits un-finished.....it was a good idea but I didn't think it through as far as ease of building as a kit.

I'm working on another simpler version and hope to have photos soon.

The original hut is mostly finished and would make a cool back-yard bar.....it's just too big to get through a gate (and pretty heavy too).

What was your roofing plan? Was it going to be all thatch or steel/thatch?

So do you make and sell kits? I've been stuck in the design phase for 4 years...still trying to figure out exactly what I want to do and once every few months comb over the posts here on tiki central to get more ideas.

S

My plan for the roof was a combination of thatch and shingles. My day job is building roof trusses, so I've been interested in some type of TiKi hut kit for awhile off and on.

Maybe this next version will be better.......I'm going to set it up in my backyard soon I hope.

Go man Go !!

I like what I see so far.

J
Jah posted on Thu, Aug 23, 2012 4:32 PM

This is really cool :D

I built this simpler version for the North County Home TiKi Bar Crawl (our home was one of the stops) A really simple design and easy to assemble. I was in a hurry, so I covered the panels with reed fencing (quick & cheap).....probably should be bamboo or bamboo and grass mat.

I'd be curious to see more pics of your new bar.

I've come back around to studying your original design lately. I had asked about the roof...which parts were you thinking about shingling versus thatching?

S

Well.............sorry to report that the prototype still looks like the last picture posted (except a little more weathered) I think it would almost qualify as a TiKi Hut potential remodel in its present state. I would join the procrastinators club if I could just get around to it.

PP

wow, very very cool!! wish I could build something like that but i cant use power tools without adult supervision!!!

S

pool-side TiKi shack

NICE!!! Hey, I am in that Procrastinators Club...please join...time is running out.

Pages: 1 34 replies