Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

A bit more about the weather here at Tiki Central

Pages: 1 36 replies

Aloha all,

Hanford here. Just thought I'd drop a note about some of the stuff going on, and a bit of history.

A lot of people have recently told me Tiki Central is no fun for them. That there's been a lot of jack-assery going on that has made TC an unhappy place, and they don't want to visit anymore. I totally understand where they're coming from. A times it's even difficult for even me to check my own site.

But I want you to know something: We've been here before. And we will no doubt be there again.

We've had melt downs. We've had riots. We've had train wrecks. And over the years I've tried a lot of different techniques for moderation on this site. For a while I even tried a heavy handed approach with public scoldings and a lot of temporary user bannings. We didn't really get any real solid results from those attempts. In fact, it made me realize something about this site:

Tiki Central does not work because I FORCE it to work. It works because everyone on the site is TRYING HARD to make it work. When people stop trying, the system breaks down.

In other words, this place is a community, and everyone works together to make it run smoothly. That's the only way it works. This means people going out of their way to be nice to each other, but also to have some thick skin when things do get a little rough. It means not adding fuel to fires, and trying hard to not rubberneck.

It means not picking fights, but also calmly walking away when people are trying to pick them. It means not drudging up old flame wars, and sore points. It means trying your hardest to not carry a grudge, and avoiding those who you feel ARE carrying grudges. It means coming here for what you're into and and avoiding the topics that irk you.

I think most of you get this, and follow it instinctively. To you, I say thanks. But there will always be people who take this place for granted, or feel like it's my job to keep the peace. And from time to time I need to remind them:

No, it's not my job to keep the peace. It's your job.

It's easy to have fun on Tiki Central when things are running smoothly! It's all sunshine and Navy Grogs. But the true test of this community -- and any community, really -- is when stormy weather approaches. The seas are a little rough for the time being, but I ask everyone to work together, baton down the hatches, and help us sail through it. That's what community is all about, and it's the only way we'll make it through the storm unscathed.

Do your best to help this ship sail smoothly. Most all of you do! But if you can't do that, or simply can't be bothered, As Captain of this vessel I encourage you to abandon ship, cuz you're not helping out. You're dead weight.

We're heading into Tiki Central's 12th year, and to all those who stay aboard and help out, I lift my Tiki Mug to you! Sunshine is again just around the corner ...

Respectfully,

~Hanford Lemoore
Founder, Tiki Central

PS: I want to take this moment to thank our moderators, in no particular order, who do more of the legwork around here than I do:

Hakalugi, Bora Boris, Tikiwahine, Aaron's Akua, Martiki, Humuhumu, Sabu The Coconut Boy, and of course Tiki-Kate.

Also I do not want to forget previous moderators of days past .. too many to list, but still an important part of keeping TC running over the years.

And I said it a few times before, but I want to say it one more time: I want to thank the 99% of you who are perfect community members. You guys are what makes Tiki Central so special for everyone.

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore 2010-11-07 20:06 ]

awesome!

I was starting to get carpal tunnel from scrolling LOL, so thanks for the weather report...you do a fabulous job Hanford and we appreciate your response to requests for help and for improvements to the board (like the home bar section). Kudos to you and thanks for your perseverance.

Thanks also to: Bora Boris, Tikiwahine, Aaron's Akua, Martiki, Humuhumu, Sabu The Coconut Boy...you guys rock!!!

B

YEAH, Thanks Hanford, I Love the way you run your ship, or at least let it run itself and I'm Glad you are willing to step in when there needs to be a course realignment. I Know we've given you a few grey hairs over the years but I know also you are Proud of your Ship, and you know what? We are ALL PROUD Right along with you.

HAPPYHAPPYHAPPY

Hear, hear! :)

TC is an escape. A refuge from the madness of our daily grind. A warm, fun and loving community, that's chock full of creative artists, aspiring urban archaeologists, talented craftspeople, mid-century historians, swanky jetsetters, exotica spinners, competitive collectors, skillful mixologists and exotic pupuists. It's an internet paradise, our own Bali Ha'i...

Let's all just take a deep breath, extend a cordial hand in friendship and perhaps, even a nice big tribal hug is in order... Whatever it takes to get back into joyful conversations, informative dialoge, healthy debate and insightful critique.

Hanford, MAHALO for sailing our ship safely onward, past turbulent high seas and into warmer calm tropical water... Hey look, on the horizon... I can see the sunrise! :D

Shoootz, :tiki:
Jonesey

M

As someone who's belonged to a number of online communities over the last 25 years, I can tell you there is a natural evolution (or de-volution) that almost always occurs as the community matures. Tiki Central is no exception. However, the fact that it's still as fun and interesting as it is after 12 years, is really a testament to how many good folks there are here.

I love you guys. OK!

D

Hear hear.
Did I hear you say it takes a village?

K

Thank you Hanford. I can't begin to track the wealth of knowledge I have gained from this site. There always seems to be a few who try to ruin a good thing. But, as you've said, Tiki Central is too important to too many people for this to turn into a permanent squall. I salute you, Captain!

G
GROG posted on Mon, Nov 8, 2010 9:02 AM

The weather seems a bit localized to GROG.

It's the same every day.

I'm on TC every day. I've made more friends here than anywhere else on earth. Thank you Hanford. Wendy

BK

Quite often, my time on TC is the highlight of my day. I've made many friends & really enjoy collecting & learning more about Tiki. The last thing I want to see is bickering. I avoid those threads like the plague. Let's face it people, we collect glasses, swizzles & matchbooks from old polynesian restaurants. It ain't rocket science! Hanford, you've done an amazing job creating & maintaining TC & I can't thank you enough for all the fun I've had on TC. I look forward to many more years here & I especially look forward to meeting some of you SoCal folks when I come to Pomona in January.
Mahalo,
Rick

M
McTiki posted on Mon, Nov 8, 2010 3:44 PM

Thank you for this place Hanford! I'm sure it can be a PITA sometimes, but, there's no other place like this place in the world.

There is a whole lot of Ohana here.

Mahalo

McTiki

M

I say HuhZAZZ!

Hello Hanford,

It is sad that there has been a creeping wave of pettiness and backbiting here recently, but I would just like to say that compared to the places I normally hang out on the Internet, Tiki Central really is a paradise. I have an overwhelmingly positive feeling about this site and feel honoured to have the opportunity to contribute to my own little corner of it. I just wanted to say that what you have created here is amazing and overall the good aspects far outweigh the bad aspects, so don't let a few muppets get you down.

Best wishes

CN

Hanford, I've really enjoyed being on this site and wish you continued success! I've learned so much and have made many new friends and rekindled old friendships as well. If any website can weather a storm, it's this one!

Hanford...
You rock. Thank you for this site.

I think a Dicken's chracter put it best:
"God bless us all, everyone!"

On 2010-11-08 01:59, Benzart wrote:
I Know we've given you a few grey hairs over the years but I know also you are Proud of your Ship, and you know what? We are ALL PROUD Right along with you.

HAPPYHAPPYHAPPY

Hanford's got good hair! Thanks for all you've done and thanks to the moderators, too! TC rules!!!

T

TC is a great site!
Thank you for making it happen.
The people who go by the way side, drop out, or just raise heck
are not here for the tiki.
The problem will fix it's self, As they will leave when their ranting gets old.
I for one am here for the tiki.
But an occasional "two thumbs up" fight is just plain fun!
Tippsy I love ya, and miss the old Tippsy.

If we all lived in utopia what would we put on tv?

J

Hear hear. I think it's time everyone re-looked up the meaning of OHANA

On 2010-11-08 06:59, drgoat456 wrote:
Hear hear.
Did I hear you say it takes a village?

It takes a quiet village.

P

Seems like there's always someone who's got an attitude problem & wants to talk smack online.

Everyone is so brave when they're invisible. Pathetic.....

Tiki Central is the best thing EVER. Period!
Thanks Hanford for creating this family!

P

I've gone from lurker to powerposter back to lurker. But it is all worthwhile when I travel to a city where I can find a Tiki-host with which I can enjoy my favorite mid-century pastimes.

However - I find that the plethora of forums actually inhibits my enjoyment of TC.

I don't know what the solution would be for that, unless I had more time and more rum.
It used to be a simple read of many threads - and now it's a quick read of many threads on the many forums.

Boo, sir. Boo I say.

I'm still not leaving. No matter how many times you ask me to.

If I were King, I'd congeal many of the forums into the main forum and get more active with the moderation. The delete key makes a more focused and genteel body of posters.

Of course there would be riots and facebook melts - but who cares about that. The Tiki scene doesn't need mass acceptance - that's one of the reasons I'm involved in it.

With that being said - Check out my new post on Tiki Music.

Not really. just kiddin'.

I go on several forums (mostly car ones) And they all end up in bickering and fighting over nothing,Its easy to moan about someone behind a computer but they wont do it face to face,So i say well done Hanford on my favourite forum and i hope the bad mouthers leave and let the rest get on with enjoying tiki (and a good cocktail too!)

Is it possible to get an "Ice Bucket" tread where if enough people hit the U-mod on a flaming thread it could be automatically shunted over to "cool down" for say 24 hours and allow all parties to calm down? A temporary locking if you will.

M

Actually the answer to this whole dilemma is very simple. Just ignore those who attack you. There is an old saying: Never argue with an idiot because it is hard to tell who is who. Once you get pissed and strike back the game is on and they have won. No matter what you say you have lowered yourself to their level and that is exactly what they wanted. I haven't been on TC in a while due to the fact that I almost died, bought my first home at age 50, and have spent the rest of my time fixing it up. I finally got time to build myself an 8' x 12' tiki hut and unpacked my mugs which I haven't seen in 3 years, and to find out this is going on is disheartening. Maybe the whole almost dying thing makes you realize what is really important in life and arguing with some sweaty guy sitting at his computer in his underwear who knows every post on this site and is just waiting for you to ask a question that may have been answered 4 years ago and quote the entry is just stupid. Ignore them and talk to the real people here because there are alot of them who want to help you. When I sold my Tikisoap at the old Hukilau's I was amazed at the amount of people who I talked to who I asked who are you on TC and said I don't get involved with that. Huh, I wonder why? Like a zombie I am coming back from the dead and I am reviving my soap company this time to benefit abused pets. If you want to attack me, bring it. You won't get a rise from me. PS Hanford you don't have a word filter on this site do you? I hear they are really popular in China and I had a bad experience with one on another forum.

T

*On 2010-11-18 16:44, motiki wrote:

*I am reviving my soap company this time to benefit abused pets.

Hey, this sounds great! Keep us posted & welcome back.

What happened to peas on Tiki Central lately?

Peas can come back to Tiki Central, I'm just saying.

Thanks to Hanford and the crew for all you do.

DC

M

We did a local farm market 1 mile from our house this summer for Hearts United For Animals hua.org and did very well and spread the word of tiki and tc.

[ Edited by: motiki 2010-11-19 04:09 ]

Z

here for the tiki.
Love you all.
Mahalo.

Unfortunately the hazard of internet communities is that often one's favorite topic is also liked by people who could be considered at best - baffling. This can quickly ruin one's favorite topic. In my personal experience it happened with TV show forums.

If I may add a piece of advice - avoid meeting your heroes too. This applies especially to William Shatner,I mean meeting him, not for him to follow as I doubt he's reading this. Fortunately I never did. On the other hand if bigfoot is your hero - just don't tease him when you do meet.

M

Sorry we are sold out of soap for this year. I am off my soapbox now.

Mahalo,

Mo

[ Edited by: motiki 2010-11-19 04:11 ]

On 2010-11-08 03:41, TravelingJones wrote:
Hear, hear! :)

TC is an escape. A refuge from the madness of our daily grind. A warm, fun and loving community, that's chock full of creative artists, aspiring urban archaeologists, talented craftspeople, mid-century historians, swanky jetsetters, exotica spinners, competitive collectors, skillful mixologists and exotic pupuists. It's an internet paradise, our own Bali Ha'i...

Let's all just take a deep breath, extend a cordial hand in friendship and perhaps, even a nice big tribal hug is in order... Whatever it takes to get back into joyful conversations, informative dialoge, healthy debate and insightful critique.

Hanford, MAHALO for sailing our ship safely onward, past turbulent high seas and into warmer calm tropical water... Hey look, on the horizon... I can see the sunrise! :D

Shoootz, :tiki:
Jonesey

Do I get to be a poopooist too?(hehe)...

at the risk of dittoing, i'm going to praise TC as a site that has, without question, provided information and also connections to people without whom my experience here on earth would be much less rich and interesting. as long as we can grok that just like at a party, you're not gonna be bestest friends with every single person, and sometimes a respectful distance is the kindest approach, things ought to be cool.

but i'm still bummed about meeting flounder. that guy scares me :lol:

just kiddin' y'all, let's not forget the irony / humor that is integral to tiki.
xoxo,

j$

One thing to remember is that without visual and aural cues, it's often very hard to determine intent. Is that person being helpful, or sarcastic? A smiley face can help, but if in doubt, ask for clarification.

Pages: 1 36 replies