Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

The Enchanted Tiki Room MOVIE?

Pages: 1 13 replies

M

The Disney studio has announced it is developing an adventure film called "Tiki" from a script by Ahmet Zappa that's set against a Polynesian backdrop. Zappa and writing partner Michael Wilson were inspired by Disneyland's Enchanted Tiki Room in writing the script.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/blogs/heat-vision/disney-putting-tiki-mask-43005?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/movies/2010/11/enchanted-tiki-room-ride-disneyland-movie.html

Wow, I don't know what to think of this. Every time I've seen Ahmet on TV throughout the years, he was always pretty wacky.

That is great news. I'd love to see Pixar's take on tiki also. Especially since Lee Unkrich is a tikiphile of sorts.
http://tikitalk.astropad.com/archives/toy-story-3-tiki-mugs/.

[ Edited by: TIKI-TONGA 2010-11-08 23:00 ]

I think the wackier the better. It'll be easier for Disney to not even try to be authentic than to attempt some kind of balancing act between real mythology and pop culture. In this announcement alone there are so many cultural wrongs that I hope it was written by the Hollywood Reporter bloggers and not taken from a Disney press release:

"...Tiki is set in Hawaii and takes in the culture’s rich reserve of unique gods, embodied by wooden masks and engravings.."

If they really want to relate the story to HAWAIIAN culture, then the term Tiki did not really exist in that culture's mythology. Neither were there any masks used in Hawaii. And with "engravings" I guess they mean petroglyphs?

On the other hand, if they would set out declaring that the film is based on the popular beliefs and interpretations that Americans had of Polynesian culture, they don't have to worry about any nay-sayers. I think the blog might have made the mistake of relating the concept to Hawaii. In an LA Times article they speak of Polynesian mythology and Polynesia, which gives Disney much more leeway:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/movies/2010/11/enchanted-tiki-room-ride-disneyland-movie.html

TS

Knowing Disney, I'm sure it will be just another avenue to promote their newest resort (Aulani) on the island of O'ahu somehow, and only if Disney decides to pick up the script.
I get scared anytime Disney takes 'Disney created attractions OR Disney created storylines', and attempt to base a movie off of it.
I digress, "Pirates of the Caribbean" movie franchise worked mainly because it wasn't completely based off of the attraction and also starred Johnny Depp, but the Haunted Mansion failed, miserably. It also tried really hard to follow and mimic the loosely written Mansion script. Some Disneyphiles even feel the POTC movie franchise wound up disrupting the original Pirates attraction's scenes and story, since the addition of animatronic Sparrows and Barbossa were added, and not really enhancing the overall ride, itself.

It will be interesting to see what becomes of this "Tiki" movie, especially after reading this quote;
"Initial rumblings had the project based on the Enchanted Tiki Room attraction at Disneyland, but that has been denied by Disney."

edited for clarification*

[ Edited by: Tom Slick 2010-11-09 08:06 ]

D
dcman posted on Tue, Nov 9, 2010 8:56 AM

Personally, I'm looking forward to learning more about this. As to the WDW version of the attraction, I think it is universally disliked and suspect Disney learned from their mistake. Zero positive reviews has to count for something. A movie combined with a refurb (I hope more for a return to its beginnings rather than another WDW attempt to modernize it) might be a great way to re-invigorate interest. The Haunted Mansion movie didn't work so well though I didn't hate it as much as some did, and both the first Pirates of the Caribbean and Alice in Wonderland movies worked perfectly (though I'm not clear how much they tied the Alice movie to park characters and attractions, I have to suspect they're doing their best to capitalize on this). A tie-in with their Hawaii property makes sense.

If anyone has a chance of pulling off something cool, its Disney. I'd like to see more interest in the original attraction, and the deep roots it has in the Polynesian Pop that was popular when it was built. I'm glad Disney appears to be trying something, rather than letting the attraction age and eventually be removed.

dcman

I think that Pixar has helped turn the Disney ship a round a bit, and there are good people working there again, as compared to the Eisner years, when true talent was alienated away. Whatever will be the outcome, it will be interesting because it will further the discussion, and lift the subject on a whole nother level.
I also heard that Disney will be gearing up for a Tiki/Polynesian-themed ANIMATION project next year.

Q

As a side note, evidently Disney wasn't satisfied with the original Haunted Mansion film and is now in preliminary production with Guellermo del Toro in producing a new version of the film, which won't be set as a comedy, but a live-action 3D film. del Toro is currently writing the script and says it will be a scary, horror film - not G rated. I think it is a positive sign that Disney recognizes the film potential of some of its most beloved attractions and is willing to take a gamble, plus if it's successful will undoubtedly create a renewed buzz in those attractions to a whole new generation.

And a movie based on the Jungle Cruise?

I wonder who will play Trader Sam?

On 2010-11-09 10:28, quickiki wrote:
As a side note, evidently Disney wasn't satisfied with the original Haunted Mansion film and is now in preliminary production with Guellermo del Toro in producing a new version of the film, which won't be set as a comedy, but a live-action 3D film. del Toro is currently writing the script and says it will be a scary, horror film - not G rated. I think it is a positive sign that Disney recognizes the film potential of some of its most beloved attractions and is willing to take a gamble, plus if it's successful will undoubtedly create a renewed buzz in those attractions to a whole new generation.

Apparently Guillermo del Toro is a HUGE Haunted Mansion fan, he even has a room in his house dedicated to it. I'm anxious to see his take on it since he is such a true fan!

I'd like to see a live action movie based on "The Hall of Presidents." It would be like West World. In the movie, things would start off normal with families having fun on the rides. But then chaos ensues as the park descends into madness when, all of a sudden, the audio-animatronic presidents (and then later the other audio-animatronic characters in the park) start going haywire and wreak havoc on the Magic Kingdom! Hey, if they can make a "Country Bears" movie, why not this? I'm sure it would do better at the box office!

[ Edited by: joefla70 2010-11-10 12:53 ]

P

*Jon Favreau to take on 'Magic Kingdom' film
Disney's Magic Kingdom will live up to its name in an upcoming film in which the theme park actually comes alive.

Deadline.com reports that "Iron Man" director Jon Favreau is set to take on "Magic Kingdom," a fantasy film along the lines of "Night at the Museum," only instead of exhibits coming to life, it will be Disney's legendary park attractions.

Though Disney's "Pirates of the Caribbean" is already a successful film franchise and Eddie Murphy starred in 2003's "Haunted Mansion," this will be the first movie based on an entire park.

A production date and cast lineup for "Magic Kingdom" have yet to be announced, but in the meantime there are a slew of Disney-related films in the works, including "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea," directed by David Fincher; another "Haunted Mansion," produced by Guillermo del Toro; "Maleficent," a film about the "Sleeping Beauty" witch directed by Tim Burton and possibly starring Angelina Jolie; and "Tiki," an Ahmet Zappa-scripted movie rumored to be inspired by Disneyland's Enchanted Tiki Room.*

I ran across this little tidbit on bleedingcool.com:

"Moana, possibly in 2018. Likely to be the first Disney feature to use a hybrid CG-hand drawn style, and currently being developed by Ron Clements and John Musker."

and

"We’ve spoken about Moana before, just not by name. Last time I called it: something 'fresh and original, not a fairytale movie,' apparently has a setting somewhere in the south pacific and a Tiki carving as a character. Will it tie into the Enchanted Tiki Room theme park attraction? Uuuhhh… probably not. One of the strongest visual influences on the film is the work of Paul Gauguin, which is certainly very promising."

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/07/10/fresh-details-of-new-disney-toons-zootopia-giants-moana-and-more/

Clements and Musker did Aladdin.

[ Edited by: Trader Tom 2013-07-21 23:57 ]

Very interesting! I wonder how this is gonna translate:

"One of the strongest visual influences on the film is the work of Paul Gauguin, which is certainly very promising."

If they stick to this concept, it is decidedly a move AWAY from American mid-century Tiki.

Pages: 1 13 replies