Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

New 24/7 Internet Lounge-Tiki Station

Pages: 1 13 replies

Hi,I am devising a brand new Lounge Music Internet station. As both a long time tiki-phile and veteran creator of syndicated radio shows,I am looking for some input.

I'm interested in some feedback on A) would you listen to a 24/7 station B) What kind of music do you want to hear. C) What kind of entertainment features would you prefer? I realize and respect there are already streams and pod-casts which provide shows. The biggest difference is this is not a once a week program or pod-cast. The plan is for a 24/7 Internet radio station, we have plans to create an app for mobile listening and other
goodies.

I have several thoughts on the format. 1) A Pure tiki/exotica/surf station. Lots of tiki talk/features.

Or 2) A blend of current & classic Tiki/Exotic/Surf bands,plus spy-fi, some 70's cocktail jazz, soul, & soundtrack music. Avoiding the computerized Pandora style Music Genome system which becomes all too predictable. Features on tiki lifestyle, music genres, & travel all in a very entertaining way. Interviews with artists & a irreverent approach.

Most of all I would like to move a bit off the old "nod & wink" tongue in cheek lounge lizard approach to this incredible music and lifestyle.

I would like to create a community on the station that is more than background music for a backyard wing ding . Your thoughts are kindly appreciated!

[ Edited by: ArthurDenny 2010-11-12 20:52 ]

[ Edited by: ArthurDenny 2010-11-12 20:55 ]

[ Edited by: ArthurDenny 2010-11-12 20:56 ]

[ Edited by: ArthurDenny 2010-11-12 20:58 ]

Sounds interesting. I would be game...have to think about the answers and circle back.

Thanks VampiressRN.

Great idea, Arthur. If it's going to be 24/7, you could almost do both options 1 and 2 - have a mix of everything in option 2, but perhaps with occasional dedicated blocks of just, say Saturday 70s cocktail jazz, or Tiki Tuesdays, or whatever.

I think the broader approach is something I'd be more inclined to listen to myself, as much as I love tiki/surf/exotica - I know there are folks like me who appreciate a wider retro spectrum, as well. With dedicated blocks, if someone wasn't so much into, say, lounge, they could tune in when you were playing more surf, or vice versa. Something for everyone.

Just my 2 cents.

RB

I would recommend a broader rather than narrower approach...24/7 is A LOT of time to fill.

I agree too,
wide spectrum, with specialty shows on certain nights.

Jeff(btd)

Thanks, I'm leaning towards a wide play-list, I like the Tiki Tuesday concept as well.

Have been thinking about this so just throwing some ideas out. Excuse my spelling tonight I am tired...and remember these are only my humble opinions so share your own...

~ Major airplay would need to be classic exotica. :)
~ Strong support of today's bands (Martini Kings, Tikiyaki, Waitiki, etc.).
~ There are plenty of interviews with folks that you could air.
~ Featured artists on a certain day/time.
~ Holiday oriented programs.
~ Style program where you play related but non-Tiki, such as surf, rockabilly, space, etc.
~ History readings (like the life and times of Arthur Lyman, Martin Denny, etc.).
~ Daily Happy Hour with tunes from old shows (like Gilligans Island, Hawaii 5-O, Hawaiian Eye, etc.).
~ Live feeds from concerts (if possible).

May think of more later.

Great Ideas Vamp,
more work, but good thinking there.

Jeff(btd)

M

What would you be doing that's any different from what LuxuriaMusic is already doing?

More emphasis on exotica?

IZ

Are you thinking of doing all the programming yourself, or would you use a team of programmers? If the latter, I'm thinking that there are enough folks on TC who could be in a position to help with different parts. Another option that might help with the 24/7 issue is asking folks who currently do podcasts, online programs, or radio shows that fit your genres to "rebroadcast" on your stream. For example, Bachelor Pad radio show also re-broadcasts on Luxuria.

Just some thoughts. Good luck!

glen

Luxuria Music overall covers a lot of these genres, and there are some great individual shows.
However like a good college station its changes throughout the day and is so eclectic that
in my opinion its not listenable for long periods of time. My model is to reach more people.
so it can be sustainable by revenue producing elements. Otherwise the performance rights
and streaming costs would require a donation or subscription model which I would prefer not
to do.

Other DJ programming-absolutely! There are many talented people out there, including podcasters,
club DJ's, and DJ's on other internet stations.

I think its a must to expose and feature as much new music, and interview the artists/bands.

I would also like to do some "Modern living" features.

On 2010-11-21 12:39, ArthurDenny wrote:
....in my opinion its not listenable for long periods of time. My model is to reach more people.

That's exactly what I aimed to do with my Sound of Tiki CD. Exotica ONLY for an hour is too esoteric for the general public, and I think there are many excellent shows already doing that, for folks who already are in the know. To get people BEYOND our realm into Exotica is a valiant premise, and the right mix with vintage pop/jazz/lounge can help with that.

And to have shows with contempo combos that maybe play some of their vintage favorites that inspired them together with their new music would be cool, too.

Thanks Big Bro and all. Great ideas.

Now the hard part, working on funding LOL.

Pages: 1 13 replies