Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Freezing Mint

Pages: 1 5 replies

I searched for this topic and couldn't find it. I have always wondered about freezing mint. I don't have a mint plant and sometimes my store is out of mint. Then if I have left-over mint I just end up throwing it out. I saw these instructions, so wonder if it works and does anyone have any suggestions?

FREEZING MINT

Rinse the leaves in a sink and pat them dry. All herbs, plants and fruit should be washed under running water before cooking with or using them.

Place whole or chopped up leaves in an ice cube tray, and add water. Ideally you should fill each slot in the tray halfway with mint leaves to allow an ice cube to properly form around the mint. Put this tray in the freezer. Freezing the leaves in ice will retain their natural green color.

Remove the mint ice cubes from the tray after they have completely frozen. Put the cubes in the zip-top bag, and put them back in the freezer.

Thaw the mint cubes before using them in recipes or foods. The mint ice cubes themselves can also be dropped into cold beverages.

I have found this method to work well for preserving Mint as an ingredient (mojitos, Missionary's Downfall, etc...) After the thaw it tends to be really limp and looses its color very quickly so I don't think this method works well for mint to be used as a garnish.

For mint as a flavor, it is pretty easy to make minted sugar syrup or even a mint cordial. You don't get the bright happy of having mint leaves in/on/around your drink, but you can still maintain the flavor profile for the drinks that need it.

Vamp, mint is basically a weed - I bet it would grow inside in a pot in a south window. For what a bunch of mint sells for at the grocery store you can buy a plant a Lowe's and then you've always got fresh mint.

H

Middle Eastern markets always carry fresh mint and they are pretty cheap. Otherwise you can buy some and put in a glass jar and fill with water and watch it make roots and it will start to grow, it keeps well for a while.

Ay yi yi...plants typically commit suicide at my house. However, I just looked up some articles on growing mint and will try to figure out how to get a little forest set up. Thanks for the encouragement. :)

Also, thanks everyone for the info about freezing...certainly not something I am interested in after reading your information.

Keep us posted on your progress (i.e. what method you used). I've been wanting to do the same thing!

Pages: 1 5 replies