Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Duane Fish Ceramics - Honolulu

Pages: 1 4 replies

You can see some of his work in Phillip Roberts great book "Waikiki Tiki"

Our first find was the plate. The mugs came later.

Aloha

On 2010-11-17 12:55, bongofury wrote:
You can see some of his work in Phillip Roberts great book "Waikiki Tiki"

You can also SEE Duane Fish hand painting the glaze on the mug above in "Waikiki Tiki: Art, History and Photographs." He had a daughter, whom I have been unsuccessful in locating...

I'd never seen the footsteps and palm design before. Mahalo Ron!

K

There is an article about Duane Fish in the Paradise of the Pacific Holiday Annual 1960 issue. It states that his wife's name is Sue Ann and his, then 15 year old, daughter was Carolynn. The article shows Carolynn painting the ceramics and has other images of items being made... molded tiki mugs with slip being poured in mold, placing the pieces in the kiln, etc.

Aloha Killy,

Your first post leads me to believe you have a Duane Fish mug/item? Or at least the magazine.

On 2011-09-13 20:24, kwilly wrote:
There is an article about Duane Fish in the Paradise of the Pacific Holiday Annual 1960 issue.

Duane is one of those thrilling unsung heroes of the Hawaiian ceramics movement. The pottery produced islands is so very different than the mainland and I really wanted to explain this more in the last section of Waikiki Tiki, but my editor (Karyl, and she is wicked awesome, btw) thought differently.

Yes, that is the exact article I reproduced in "Waikiki Tiki," but only a part of it. At a 263 pages, I had to make some tough decisions on content. I think I did a great job and am happy with the final product despite 4 mistakes that will be corrected in the next run.

I continue to be stymied by my efforts to find his daughter. I have found the daughter of the owner of 'Terra Ceramics' (by chance) only because she came to the publisher's office to buy a book the exact moment I was there. We had a great conversation.

In my detective experience, Men are easier to find stuff on because they keep their names. Ladies are a bit harder to track down due to marriage.

best,

Phillip

K

I actually do have the magazine. In all of my days of collecting in SoCal and FL, I haven't come across one of his pieces. I would love to have some. They are very soulful and humble. In a world full of mass produced items, that's a rare find!

Pages: 1 4 replies