Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Gathering for Gecko at Laney's

Pages: 1 45 replies

L
laney posted on Mon, May 19, 2003 1:42 PM

Aloha, I thought I'd throw this out there before his schedule gets too full. I asked Gecko to come by my house for cocktails and to see my Witco/OCD lamp collection. I am going to Da Show mainly to meet Alfred Shaheen and get his signature on a couple of 50's dresses. I started out collecting vintage clothing and his prints blow me away. I will take that night off work and thought it would be fun to have some drinks and a swim after Da Show. Gecko dosen't know when he'll be able to get out of there but it ends at 5pm. I live in Placentia and I know it's on the way home for many of you guys.

Another option is Sunday evening. But that is Father's Day. If you want to come on over for drinks let me know which would be better for you (Gecko seems pretty open). All are welcome at my pad. Let's get together and show Gecko that us hoity-toity's have Aloha Sprit too!

Laney, its very gracious of you to open your home. I will be at Da Show as well so I'd definitely like to stop by for this to meet Gecko (as well as to check out that lamp collection I keep hearing so much about) on the way home. Sounds like fun!

G
GECKO posted on Mon, May 19, 2003 3:29 PM

Hi Laney,

Mahaloz sista for letting me drop by fo suck'em up. I'm looking towards seeing all these lamps an witco.

If any of you hoity-toity's think you can drink me unda da table I'll give you a free panel.....No actually if you wanna have some "suck'em up olympics" I will give da winna wun tiki panel. I'm in for some laughs!!

one game you gotta play is, you suck up a beer and wen it's empty you gon put da empty bottle on top of your head and you run from one end of da yard to da udda end and if you drop da bottle...SUCK EM UP! but as soon as you get to da end you have to take da bamboo pole and put one end on da ground an da udda end on your forehead an turn like 5 times then run back to da finish line....losers suck em up! I LOVE to see peopo run wen dey dizzy!

thats if laney has the grass and dosen't mind peopo busin der asses on her yard.

or we can merinate and talk story, no matter fo me.

On 2003-05-19 13:42, laney wrote:
I am going to Da Show mainly to meet Alfred Shaheen and get his signature on a couple of 50's dresses.

Shaheen is going to be around! What's dis show? Man, I want some of that stuff he was smoking in his pipe when he designed those wacky prints. Tell me more! TELL ME MORE!!!

L

Hey Atomic, check out their website for info http://www.aloha-cruz.com/dashow.htm
Shaheen will be there from 11-3. I have some of the funkiest skirts (late 60's) and some of the most beautiful early 50's dresses of his. Seems his prints got wilder and brighter into the 60's and worse into the 70's Hmmmmmm? He did some awesome tiki prints on guys shirts but I've only found them in Small and Med. (I swear people were smaller back then)

Oh, and Gecko, the dogs took care of the grass in my back yard. There's only grass in my front yard so the spinning, falling, drunks will have to be out front. That'll freak out my neighbors! I'm not responsible if anyone gets run over. If you try to run across the back yard you'll fall into the pool, which would be funny too!

Laney,

Thanks for the info. Don't know why I have not heard of this show before. I have got to meet Alfred Shaheen! His textile designs were so innovative many still blow me away today. He's work has really inspired me recently. I wish there were more Aloha Shirt manufacturers in his vein today.

I just hope the prices at the show don't mirror those in the Aloha Cruz shop. YIKES!

[ Edited by: Atomic Cocktail on 2003-05-20 14:36 ]

I'm good to go to the "Gathering", but don't know how to get to Laney's. Need an e-mail or private message please. Thanks, JT

laney,

Are you going to serve pina-coladas?

L
laney posted on Wed, May 28, 2003 6:01 AM

On 2003-05-27 22:55, tiki-riviera wrote:
laney,

Are you going to serve pina-coladas?

:lol: No, I wasn't planning on serving any pinas but did plan on mixing up some mystery fru-fru drinks (hopefully some new tastes as well as old). I'm sure I have something behind my bar that'll put some much needed hair on your chest. Oh, and plenty of Coors Light in cans-seriously! Actually, I love meeting people I've disagreed with on tiki central. I am (as most of us are) very opinionated and always say what I feel no matter how unpopular. I have been unworthily deemed "the feisty fox" but am also a well mannered adult (I hope you are too as I'll be checking ID's at the door) so don't be too scared.

As far as directions, shoot me a PM via Tiki Central or e-mail me ASAP and I'll send you my address. This will also give me an idea of how many to expect, and what to buy (any alcohol additions would be greatly appreciated) Maybe everyone who is going to Da Show can meet up there? Let me know. Thanks, Laney

Laney, I sent you an e-mail Monday.

I better hit Hi-Times I guess.

G
GECKO posted on Mon, Jun 2, 2003 11:49 AM

Alohaz, just a reminder da party is at lanes on da 14th and tiki ti da 18th. I'll see ya peeps in about a week an a half.

Aloha

Hey Cuz,
Da tiki gods smiled on me afterall. My Wahine and I are flying in for the Friday night party at the Hukilau. Need to fly out again the next day though... Just call us the "Jetset Beachcombers".
KG

G
GECKO posted on Mon, Jun 2, 2003 3:11 PM

alriiiight, well congrats KG. I'll see you localz there!

Suck'em up!

can anyone either post or email me the directions and address for Laney's? I'll be in the area helping a friend move from Yorba Linda to Newport. My parents live in Placentia so this works out pretty great - thanks for the open invitation, Laney.

laney wrote:
...As far as directions, shoot me a PM via Tiki Central or e-mail me ASAP and I'll send you my address. This will also give me an idea of how many to expect, and what to buy (any alcohol additions would be greatly appreciated) Maybe everyone who is going to Da Show can meet up there? Let me know. Thanks, Laney

G
GECKO posted on Wed, Jun 4, 2003 3:39 PM

eh sista Laney, we gon have som pupu's? I gon try bring some Filipino grindz. No promises....my momz lazy somtimes. If someone(pop) could bring some rice.....HO dat would be sweet!! I can't eat and not eat rice....sorry, you know localz gotta have rice. we eat dat stuff 3 times a day. "AND YOU KNOW THIS MANNNNN!!"(chris tucker)....you know, da cigaweed braddah.

Laney, one way we serve peopo on da islands during get togeddaz is we wen serve da food on banana leafs or tea leafs....but no mo tea leaves mainland so use banana. You can put dem on your table top as da table cloth. Just go to your neigbors hale or friends, and cut about 4 banana leafz off der plant and rince wit watta and go place dem on da table, den you gon put all da food right on da leaves, no need fo tapawer(u know da kine plastic bowls). looks mo traditional. cut some leaves into square pieces and peopo can put da pupus right onto there own leafs instead of paper plates ya. save you some money plus looks mo betta.

if you eva BBQ some fish in da near future, try fo rap'em in banana leaf and trow'em straight on da grill...steams great or leave'em untill da leaf is burnt and you eat parts of da crumbled burnt leaf with da meat...dats ONO. You have to use milk fish though and dat get choke bones....so neva mind.

k see ya peeps in a week.
shoots

Gecko,

You can still get ti leaves here at the downtown flower market in downtown Los Angeles. I always go at 6:00am on the morning I'm having a big cocktail party and get plenty of ti leaves to serve pupus on. There are big warehouses full of flower sellers and I go first to the tropical flower area and buy ginger flowers, birds of paradise, and asian lillies to decorate the house with, orchids to put on the drinks, and stacks of ti leaves to serve food on. Prices are cheap too.

I'm still not sure if Tikibelle and I will be able to make the party at Laney's, but if we do, I'll pick up some ti leaves and orchids for you.

We'll see you for sure at Tiki Ti's on the 18th.

Sabu

G
GECKO posted on Wed, Jun 4, 2003 5:21 PM

eh tanks Sabu for clearin dat up. I neva knew ti leaves (Ti pernounced tea) were on da mainland. I put "tea leaf" so if someone seen it posted they could go to da store and ask fo "tea leaves" and not "tie leaves". Good you know your plants to Sabu.

I'll see ya on da 18th if not at Laneys braddah.

aloha

Hey Braddah Gecko. I hope you bringin' lotsa' your "stuff" (merchandise), because if you don't and you sell everyting befo you get to Laney's we gon have to buy the clothes off you back braddah. No way. You betta have some stuff to sell at Laneys dammit. I can't make it to da' show.

G
GECKO posted on Thu, Jun 5, 2003 2:59 PM

No worriez JT,

I hope I do sell out, but if I don't I'll bring wat'evas I get. If I do sell everyting no worriez, I'll sell you da aloha shirt on my back...hehe

wat are you looking to buy. I won't have but maybe 2 tikis with me. The rest panels and some posters that were used to promote da Martin Denny show at La Mariana which happens to be a pretty nice poster.

see ya peepz next week.

SUCK EM UP!!

Gecko, I don't have anything in particular in mind but I must have something you have made. A tiki would be good......or your shirt.

Gecko!

Will you be bringing my tiki? :lol:

G
GECKO posted on Fri, Jun 6, 2003 12:20 PM

SCD,
how'd ya know cuz! Yes dat tiki is da one dat might be at "da show".
That all depends on tonight though..... Da wahine dat i decorate her shows "Tiki Lounge five-o" called me a couple of days ago to go over to da KING of exotica Mr Martin Dennys condo tonight. He want's to purchase one of my tiki's....so I will be bringing dat one to his house tonight among a few others. If he takes dat one den I gon make anudda to bring wit me to da mainland.

If he dosen't take dat one I gon take da tiki to Waikiki Saturday morning and take some pics of it in front of Diamond Head jus to show dis tiki is an original gecko coconut trunk tiki. Dat will be da so called signed certificate of authenticity. What betta den to have a pic of your tiki in front of diamond head to show dis bugga is from da islands. If Mr Denny dosen't buy it tonight I gon take a pic of da tiki beside Mr Denny and I'll sign it and give a copy to da new owner. I just want someone to be very happy with there new Gecko tiki plus get da bonus pic on da side...kinda like da cherry on da cake. Dat pic will make more collectible in da future.
To tell you now, dis tiki will be for sell at da show if Martin Denny passes it up tonight. $500 will be da firm price for dis. It's going to be a very special tiki for a long long time. Especially if da new owner keeps da picture of Martin Denny beside da tiki with da tiki. So I can't wait to meet da new owner at da show.....IFFFF Mr Denny dosen't buy it tonight.

Da rest of da tikis I carve while I'm there will have "callifornia" carved in da back.

I tink dat gon make my Hawaii carvings mo collectible in da future because you will have to pay for shipping and those will be da harder to get ones because peopo don't like to fork out da shipping charges.

mahalo
gek-

L
laney posted on Fri, Jun 13, 2003 4:17 AM

Just a quick update for anyone heading over here Sat. Time 5-6ish (some may be later)We will be BBQing your basic burgers/dogs etc. Summer BBQ, hopefully summer weather. I am asking people to bring drinks/booze. If you would like to bring kids, that's fine. My son (Nick,8) will be here as well as video games. If they become a problem, we can always feed them to my dogs!
I hope I have places for you all to sit! My son and I have had a long week (end of school parties/awards, etc.)and I work Fri night/Sat morning so I'm not sure if We'll be up for Da Show :cry:
Besides, I've been doing my best to clean up around here and realized I have way too much crap and too many lamps! (did I just say that?) I'm looking forward to relaxing, drinking, meeting some new TCers and seeing all the regulars. See ya Sat, Laney

Thank you Laney for sharing your fabulously decorated home with us and feeding us as well.

I was great seeing all you TC folk again and some of you for the first time. Looking forward to our next gathering whenever it might be.

Monkeyman

L
laney posted on Sun, Jun 15, 2003 1:39 PM

Thanks everyone for coming. The pool was too cold for swimming (Al and Shelley rock), I was ready for a dip earlier in the day so next time we do this it'll have to be a day thing. There's nothing better than drinking in the afternoon sun floatin' around the pool.
Thanks for the sweet lamp Al and Shelley. I will hang it tomorrow and post some pics.
Bongofury, were you the one who brought the chicken sauce? I'm eating the left over chicken now, I guess people went with burgers/dogs. That sauce is great! I don't like spicy stuff but this has just the perfect bit of kick. Cory loved it too and wants to know where to get it. Cory, if you read this (he lurks) a million thanks for all your help!
Thanks again everyone I had a blast! I hope there aren't too many pics of no make-up strait flat haired, Laney. Oh well I can use them as a before on the vintage hair thread in beyond tiki.

Thanks for the great hospitality Laney. If it is the Caravelle Sweet Chili Sauce we brought that was us. My mom bought a bunch at an Asian foods market somewhere out by Upland. It's kinda spicy but sweet (like you). Great for dippin won tons an stuff. Your house ROCKS! Great tropical yard, tons of cool lamps, and all that Witco. It was great to meet everyone. Mrs. Fury (1 r Baxdog) and I had a great time and hope to see everyone again but we have a crazy schedule this summer. Thanks for the BBQ Corey......Gecko's video of Martin Denny was a treat....Hope you liked the cd Chikitiki...............Aloha

what, no pics?. I gotta see gecko with his eyes open......

Ron, my man.Cool meeting you and the missus.Thanks for the cd, I'll be carving to it manana. Thanks folks for the love and gifts.

Laney, your place was soo cool. The lamps provide just the right amount of colorful mood-glow. Simply dreamy. Your numerous desirable tiki furnishings and glassware made me envious, not to mention the just-right pool ambiance. Lots of palms and mystery. Thanks for hosting this party! P.S. I liked the fern embellished lamp over the dining table.

Laney thanks for having us Hoity Toity's over. Your lamp collection was way cooler than I expected but "Bob" the fish was my favorite!

Hey Chiki, did you eat MY piece of cake?

M

Hey Tiki-ites,
It was cool meeting many of you at Sam's on Friday night and Da Show on Saturday. I appreciate you crusing by my booth and having a look.

Keep me updated on all of the latest tiki gatherings.
Mike T.

Hey Mike!

Welcome to Fantasy Island!
Oops! Sorry! The Ricardo Montalban in me came out for a second.

Welcome to Tiki Central!

Your stuff you had was waaaaaay cool! I personally would find it hard to sell any of it if I had it in my collection. Of course, with any luck, more of your stuff may end up being my stuff! Ha!

This week, we'll be at The Tiki Ti with Gecko starting at 6 pm. That is one place you shouldn't miss! I'm going earlier to eat at the mexican restaurant about 50 feet away from The Tiki Ti since you definitely don't want to have one of their drinks on an empty stomach! They would never be accused of being conservative on the alcohol!

Feel free to check my personal schedule (link below), since I try to keep up with all the SoCal happenings.

(Frank) SugarCaddyDaddy

M

Hey SugDadCad,
Thanks for De updates. I was soooo freaken tired after Da Show... I was seeing little green tiki's running across da road while driven back to da LBC.

I have been collecting for about 8 years... It's nice to always rotate the collection. Good to share the tiki wealth...

It's also nice to meet fellow tiki freaks... that enjoy a stiff cocktail served up in an exotic piece of table ware.

I'll try to make it to Tiki Ti's on Wed. I may have a work commitment.
Is Mike still serving up grog's? I heard that drinks were now $14.00 a pop.
Que True???

Thanks Laney, it was fun to meet you, and Gecko, bongofury/and wife, Hanalei Pirate, Monkeyman, ChikiTiki/and wife, Poly Pop/ and wife, Wes, BaxDog, SugarCaddyDaddy, TraderPup, Floratina, AlnShelley, Cory, Becky?
Nice interior and cool backyard.

[ Edited by: jungletrader on 2003-06-16 20:41 ]

[ Edited by: jungletrader on 2003-06-17 18:57 ]

MTKahuna wrote:
...I'll try to make it to Tiki Ti's on Wed. I may have a work commitment.
Is Mike still serving up grog's? I heard that drinks were now $14.00 a pop.
Que True???

Yes, Mike & Mike are serving up grogs!

As for prices, I do have their drink menu here. All the rum drinks are $9, with the exception of the Zombie, Space Pilot, "151" Rum Swizzle, Rum Runner, Laka Nuki and the Missionary's Downfall at $10. The Pain Killer and the Uga Booga are $12, and last, The Great White Shark is $14.

The Gin, Tequila & Vodka drinks are all $9.

The most expensive drink on the menu is The Stealth and The Blue Hawaiian at $15.

As fellow TC'er MrSmiley would say, the "famous" Ray's Mistake is at $14.

FYI~ for those that have never been to the Tiki Ti, their drinks are like double-shots (geez, sometimes triple-shots) of what other bars serve, so I have no problem paying their prices, not to mention that over all good feeling of the place.

See you guys there!

I'll definitely be there on Wednesday and I'm trying to twist Smogbreather's arm for him to come up and let us drink a belated b-day (da 15th-yesterday) toast to him.

now everybody... twist twist

G
GECKO posted on Mon, Jun 16, 2003 9:24 PM

LANEY......Jus BEAUTIFUL wahine!!! I think everyone there was blown away. you gave me some great ideas.!!

Nice pad. It should be in da next "PAD" if they come out with another one

Mahaloz!

Um...is Chikitiki doing a puppet show or something in that last picture?

I don't know what the hell I was doing there, but it looks like I was talking to my tiki?

M

I knew that I can always get the skinny on TC.
Thanks for the info.

L

Great pics! What is Chiki doing? and Gecko looks pretty sober. Thanks for posting those.
My house has so much that still needs to be done to it. We just got that outdoor area painted due to all the June gloom rain, so it was too bare, the electricity wasn't hooked up yet and it was missing it's astro turf. I'll definately have another get together this summer so we can swim and I'll hopefully have more done.

I still think an OC home bar tour would be best. I'm up North so we could start here with a swim/lunch then move South where there are lots of home bars to ohh and ahhh at. Maybe a different drink at each house! Sounds Zazz to me!

Gecko, you were asking me about the stacks of shells. Some of the larger ones, I got at estate sales but every year I come home from Martha's Vineyard (an island on the East Coast) with bags of large scalop shells and tons of clam shells. We go clamming and when we catch live scalops we put them into a saltwater tank at the house. They are fun to watch swim and will squirt water at you if you take them out. Shells are everywhere out there. I can remember when California beaches were like that, now there's just trash. I will try to make some lamps with the shells and other supplies I've been hoarding. I'll post some pics when I'm done.

Laney, your lamp collection is unreal!(just what I saw in the photos).the whole pad is great from what I could see.If I may ask, where did you get those rattan wrapped float/globes?. I need one in the worst way.Hope to see you at the tiki-ti wed eve.peace. TWT

Laney,

Smart And Final Carries That Sweet Pepper sauce for chicken, it's in the "ethnic" asile
If you can't find it there any asian Grocery store should carry it. The Last time I bought some it was 2 bucks a bottle 750ml the most expensive brand is app. 2.99 an bottle. That stuff is addictive, I make beer can chicken and brush that sauce over the chicken the last five minutes on the grill.

Laney, I used to be in a marine aquarium club up here in L.A. and we have seasonal home tours of each others tanks. it was a blast. Great idea- maybe you should start a new thread on this subject or get with the So. Calif. party list people (on another post here somewhere) for some sort of address query of So. Calif. members. Speaking of doing a "tour" did you ever see that movie with Burt Lancaster called, "The Swimmer" it is one of my favorites. The guy goes from neighborhood pool to neighborhood pool and it is really a trip (don't want to spoil the ending) like he's frying on acid and all he has on the whole time is his swim suit and he keeps showing up in neighbor's backyards.

Pages: 1 45 replies