Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

Cecily & Bruce's Backyard Tiki Shack

Pages: 1 16 replies

K

Over the course of the last four years, my husband and I have been working on building a tiki bar in our backyard. We first began with a wooden wine bar from World Market and a bamboo 3-part room divider as a backdrop. We hung tiki lights and other kitsch on the backdrop.

A year or so later we decided to build a permanent backdrop and ceiling made of bamboo and thatch material. It was a little sturdier and it allowed us to hang more kitsch. However, the bar was not weatherproof and it became a chore to haul things in and out of storage, depending on the weather conditions.

And now, we are at iteration 3.0. We have just completed our little tiki shack. It is a permanent structure. The 'bones' are from a kit. We took our hot tub out, poured a cement platform in its place, then erected the small wood frame structure. Of course, it did not take shape until the bamboo walls and trim were put in place, the thatch roof secured on top, and all of the lovely kitsch hung up to adorn our little tiki shack. It has been fun collecting just the right items that seemed to call to us as we searched the antique stores, craig's list, and e-bay.

Before the summer of 2011, we plan to do some landscaping. We will build a pier, an arbor, plus a water feature. We also plan to relocate our Tiki Backyard Theater closer to the bar. Our goal is to be added to Tikitastic's Tiki Home Tour in Northern California.

Aloha,
Cecily

[ Edited by: Kekili 2010-12-11 09:45 ]

The TiKi Shack is great!

Nice job!!! Love the Moai. :)

Velvets on the ceiling. Nice !!!

BT

Man that freakin rocks! Way too cool... Love the velvets, tiki mug collection.

Lookin' good Cecily!!
Hope to see it in person when the weather warms up.
Aloha,
:tiki:

Nice collection! Did you make the spears?

Ah, what you can do where the weather stays nice... Your hut sure looks party-ready! Do you keep the overhead lights down to just a glow at night?

How do you keep rain out? It must rain there at least occasionally?

K

On 2010-12-09 02:55, Bongo Bungalow wrote:
Ah, what you can do where the weather stays nice... Your hut sure looks party-ready! Do you keep the overhead lights down to just a glow at night?

Yes, that was a concern of mine, too. We have mood lighting in the way of tiki sconces on the interior wall, neon green backlighting, plus a puffer fish hanging overhead. Also, the tiki mug cabinet has rotating colored lights on the interior. We also added green rope lighting to the exterior, which is hidden by the roof overhang. We also have up-lighting for each tiki statue in the yard, including a vintage rotating Christmas tree light directed at the Moai.

K

On 2010-12-09 00:49, Suicide Tiki wrote:
Nice collection! Did you make the spears?

Hi,
We bought the spears at Benson's Tropical Imports in Huntington Beach.

K

On 2010-12-10 16:12, TikiTacky wrote:
How do you keep rain out? It must rain there at least occasionally?

The tiki shack has a standard roof underneath the thatch material. I attached the thatch to a trellis, then placed it on top of the roof.

K

On 2010-12-05 21:16, Tiki Royale wrote:
Lookin' good Cecily!!
Hope to see it in person when the weather warms up.
Aloha,
:tiki:

Aloha,
Yes! We would love to be included in Tikitastic's Home Tour. We want to share our tiki aloha with our Tiki Central brothers and sisters. Hope to see you then :)

The Westie looks so out of place there...please send him to my house immediately. :lol:

K

Sorry, no can do. Our little girl is the enchantress of the tiki garden :)

P
Polly posted on Thu, Jan 20, 2011 7:27 PM

Really amazing place!
I loooove your design so much.
Also see many products from our website, lol

T

A new Tiki Shack photo, with my 2010 Holiday raffle prize from Swampfire Lounge!

:drink:

Pages: 1 16 replies