Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Repeal Day, 5th December. The end of Prohibition anniversary

Pages: 1 19 replies

UT

Today the fifth of December is Repeal Day. Seventy seven years since prohibition was repealed. Think of how Polynesian pop culture would have ended up had this law remained in effect any longer that it did. I believe not to long after this time Don and Vic started the Polynesian cocktail race that would last for decades.

"Anyone who has ever seen them is thereafter haunted as if by a feverish dream" Karl Woermann

[ Edited by: uncle trav 2010-12-05 05:25 ]

happy Repeal Day to all!

Actually, good point... rum drinks may not have gained a foothold at the time they did, if not for Prohibition (and Repeal). I remember reading that Pat O'Brien created the Hurricane Cocktail (4 oz. rum) to use up the multiple cases of rum that distributors required him to buy, for each case of whiskey, in the early days of Repeal. Prohibition devastated the domestic distilling industry, but left the Caribbean rum industry intact. So, while the domestic industry slowly recovered, with whiskey at a premium, rum was readily and cheaply available. So... invent "Polynesian" rum drinks!

Happy REPEAL DAY, everyone! There has never been a better day to make Zombies. Do it now!

Happy Repeal Day!

HJ

'Was just talking about this with a dog-walking colleague yesterday in cold-windy metro Chicago.

How Prohibition ever got passed as a Constitutional Amendment is still a bit of a mystery in this mind.

On 2017-01-04 08:00, Haole Jim wrote:
How Prohibition ever got passed as a Constitutional Amendment is still a bit of a mystery in this mind.

That is an interesting point considering how near-and-dear alcoholic beverages were to all Americans throughout history leading up to Prohibition and beyond.

In the book, "Poisoner's Handbook," the author details how Prohibition lead to tremendous advances in criminal forensics due to all the poisonings from bad liquor. Police investigators had to develop methods by which they could detect more accurately how people died. Was it bad liquor, or was it poisoning by arsenic, cyanide, etc.?

Another book I have at home (can't remember the title now) details how much beer and liquor was woven into daily American life since before the first European settlers arrived on North American shores -- beer was partial payment to sailors, and when voyages ran too long and beer ran out, there was unrest.

Last Call by Daniel Okrent is probably the best book on all aspects of Prohibition.

https://www.amazon.com/Last-Call-Rise-Fall-Prohibition/dp/074327704X

Thanks, tikihardbop, for the recommendation!

It's that day again - CELEBRATE the REPEAL OF PROHIBITION on December 5th, 1933!

Get your cocktail shakers ready and soothe those nerves so savagely frayed by Christmas shopping. DRINK!

H
Hamo posted on Tue, Dec 5, 2017 8:27 PM

To celebrate appropriately, I’m having my own classically-styled cocktail, the Club Babita, in a Nick and Nora glass:

Anybody seen Ken Burns’ Prohibition documentary? I thought it was quite good, and it helped me to understand that our long national nightmare was primarily due to Protestant women and the income tax....

K

I celebrated with the most appropriately-named cocktail: the Scofflaw. Rye, lemon juice, grenandine, and dry vermouth.

L

Great topic - Freezing temps and high winds mean our outdoor UK Tiki bar is dormant from November until April so my wife came up with a genius idea for the spare room -SPEAKEASY !

Brown paint was purchased and work began last week

MDF and a roll of art deco anaglypta is the basis for the bar front

Ebay for the lights and charity stores for the props.

LEDs from amazon, and a bit of opal perspex for the underlit bottles was an indulgence but works well I think.

About another 5 days and it will be finished in time for xmas.

Regards,

Mark.

It's that day again - CELEBRATE the REPEAL OF PROHIBITION on December 5th, 1933!

Whip out those cocktail shakers and soothe those nerves so savagely frayed by Christmas shopping. DRINK!

T

There are just a few more men than women in that photo.

Damn today it's a lot more men in the bar than women, maybe I'm going to the wrong bars?

T

Ps if you are ever in Chicago be sure to check out The Berghoff as it was issued Chicago's Liquor License No. 1, a designation that has been honored by the city every year since.

Awesome place, and to think Al Capone once drank there.
Beer and a roast beef sandwich was a nickel.

H
Hamo posted on Wed, Dec 5, 2018 7:46 PM

Speaking of iconic post-Prohibition bars, today is also the 85th anniversary of the opening of Don's Beachcomber Cafe in Hollywood. And tomorrow is the same milestone for Denver's Cruise Room, which was modeled after a bar on the Queen Mary. It's definitely a place worth visiting when in Denver.

Happy **** Repeal Day **** everyone! Celebrate all that wonderful hooch which the world has to offer. "Cheers" and "Tip, tip, hoorah!"

T

Damn looks like only one woman in that picture.
Lets Celebrate that ladies are now in bars in greater numbers.

Not a SJW I just like girls, and booze.

On 2019-12-05 06:03, tikiskip wrote:
Damn looks like only one woman in that picture.
Lets Celebrate that ladies are now in bars in greater numbers.

Not a SJW I just like girls, and booze.

Yup!! Last year’s pic had the women front-and-center. I read your 2018 comment and chose one which is the other way around for this year. There’s no telling what I’ll do next year - if I don’t forget, lol!!

I did drink a few last night at our downtown prohibition-themed bar. Definitely good drinks there at The Volstead!

Pages: 1 19 replies