Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

New Tiki Farm glaze

Pages: 1 13 replies

Tiki Farm just released a new glaze for their Artist's Series Tiki mugs. Is it just me or does anyone else think it's terrible, or just odd (plain)? I prefer the more traditional dark glazes but I also like some of the bright color ones also (like ShAg). They're missing all the subtle highlighting so I suppose they'd be easier to produce...

New Glaze

Original Glaze

I like diversity, so the new one looks great to me....but just MHO.

TS

I'd like to see that metal flake glaze put into action sometime...He(Holden) was working on it, but then.....?
These mugs look alright to me. they'd make great mugs to actually drink out of, instead of collecting dust like my current collection does.

B

I love that new bone color!!
I really like all the old bisque style mugs though and this sorta reminded me of that..
Keep em coming Holden... :wink:

H

It is interesting how the light color mugs look so different from the darker ones in comparison. I like the lighter ones better. I like the dark and light lines I think they give the mug a lot of character.

T

For some reason known only to my inner editor I usually pass on most everyday Tiki Farm mug I come across. But on a gut level I really like the light with dark new styles. But then again I like most Munktiki mugs and the matte light with dark detail is the prevailing style there.

Don't know if I like the bone glaze... but do know if we all liked the same thing there'd need to be only one tiki mug design in the world. Well, that'd be just silly.

The Brown has been used to death!

Bring on the NEW Holden!!!

just my 2 cents.....

I'm really likin' the new glaze - it brings out the design on the mugs a lot more. I'm sure I'll be adding these to my collection at some point. :)

On 2010-12-08 18:24, RevBambooBen wrote:
The Brown has been used to death!

Bring on the NEW Holden!!!

just my 2 cents.....

I can see your point, new is good, but sometimes it can misfire. Maybe a blue metal-flake? ...Now I'm just showing my age! Brown has been used forever, but would you criticize a Ferrari for being red? It works!

2 cents, That's exactly why I ask the question... I wanted to hear what others here thought. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...yaddy yaddy yaddy.

Holden is very good at what he does so I'm sure these mugs will be successful too. Mahalo everyone.

I like this glaze.

They are ok ...it's hard to be definitive when the designs are nothing to run screaming into the village about ! lol
Looks like a nice mug to use for guests and the morning milk ,maybe a festive gift set, not really necessary to have the holy grail with every mug glaze.
But as far as glazes go My vote is again for that completely mind blowing lava/fire glaze a couple folks have done,I dont own one yet but would REALLY go KrAzy for something in that !
Holden ?
how bout it ?!

I like 'em!
I think they'd be harder to produce...granted I don't know anything about making mugs (well there was that pot throwing class in college).
The two-tone looks like it would require the brown to be applied just in the crevices or all over and then wiped off? Then the bone applied, or is the bone the natural color of the clay?
But I think the highlighting and lowlighting you mention on the original is just the normal properties of the glaze, pooling in the deep areas, thinning out at the tips.
Just my $.02

It appears like there is less detail on the 'new glaze' mugs...but I think it is an optical illusion. Weird.

Pages: 1 13 replies