Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

DUI Checkpoint Locations

Pages: 1 14 replies

Not to be a buzzkill, but being the fact our community likes to suck em up I just wanted to do a public service by listing some locations of DUI checkpoints. As far as I know every city has to publicly announce 24 hours in advance where a checkpoint will be. So i read this today and thought i would pass this along for the Orange County ohana. If this is well received maybe this should be moved to General tiki and updated on a regular basis allowing people to check the routes before heading out to support their local tiki bar. Okole Maluna!

http://losalamitos.patch.com/articles/countywide-crackdown-on-drunk-driving

G
gonzo posted on Thu, Dec 16, 2010 9:38 AM

Ok just try not to kill anyone while your drunk driving

Not encouraging drunk driving at all. Thats not the point. Dont shoot the messanger. Were grown folks and should make grown folk decisions.

L

I say how about you all DON"T drink and drive and then these checkpoints are just a time waster for you instead of something else.

7 years ago I was hit by a drunk driver at 8pm on a Friday night. I had to be cut from my car and it was the most traumatic thing that has ever happened to me and my family.

Thankfully I survived but I still have pain from that night.

If you are going out to inbibe take a cab number with you.

Or do what some people do and buy a breathalizer kit..before you leave from the bar blow to see if you are ok to do so.
You would be surprised at how that is actually a life saver.

Please.

Actually thats what im trying to convey, but not preach either. There are alternatives, cabs, designated driver, hotel etc... This is public info and there are apps that have dui locations for a reason. Drink all you want, but getting home safe is a responsibility for each individual. I didnt want this to turn into a MADD campaign and i feel for anyone affected by drunk drivers. Maybe i shouldnt have brought this up. Very touchy! But lets not be completely naive either. Im not sure why im defending information that might allow someone to make a wise decision to be safe and avoid being thrown in jail. My intentions i guess backfired so Mele Kalikimaka and be safe!

L

Mongoloid I think you made a good point in general...there are negative outcomes to drinking and driving so when we are at our favorite watering hole during this holiday season think before we drink .

Always good to have a reminder :)

What gets me, and nobody get me wrong about taking dui lightly, but how in the hell can you get a DUI on a bicycle, tricycle, rollerskates or a skateboard!? How is this allowed??
Who in the hell are you going to kill on a bike or skateboard(aside from yourself), and how does that get legitimized to show on your DMV record? Isn't it the Dept of MOTOR vehicles, and not Dept FOOT/FEET vehicles or DFV?
...Kinda ranting, but that shit happens all the time here in the beach areas, and it really pisses me off. It is a bullshit law, and people might as well be arrested for DUI while walking intoxicated, if thats the case...

On 2010-12-17 00:54, Tom Slick wrote:
... and people might as well be arrested for DUI while walking intoxicated, if thats the case...

Its called Public Intoxication.

And, no, the Officers will not buy the line that it only become public because the two big men by the door tossed you out into public while intoxicated.

(thanks to Ron White for the line!)

I understand it is called Public Inrtoxication, and that is part of my point.

Shouldn't a bicylist or skateboarder get the same fines, arrest rap sheet as someone walking?

Sure they are on a wheeled object, but it isn't motorized, powered only by human legs, so how can law justify a full DUI which goes on DMV record? If you are arrested for roller skating under the influence, it is considered a DUI/DWI, and you lose your drivers license as well, without having to be behind the wheel of a 'motorized' vehicle.

The point for making these check points known is not so that you can drink and drive, but so that you don't get picked up and hassled just because you had a drink. I can't tell you how often I have I have been stopped and accused of drunk driving by cops. Okay, maybe I am a somewhat sloppy driver. But if those cops had been given the excuse of even thinking I really was drunk, off I would go.

DUI defenses are expensive and nerve wrecking. Police who are looking for something will more often than not feel they have found it. Even if you're not drunk, you have to prove your not, (not the other way around).

Another good reason to have this information is if you have to get somewhere in a hurry, like being on-call at a hospital. It happened to my boyfriend not long ago, he had an emergency case and the police would not let him out of the long line of cars through the checkpoint. It took 20 minutes to get through it while the patient waited on the table. I will pass along the link for future reference.

Thanks for the heads up.

Darilyn

They won't admit it, but the CHP does watch bars and cars and wait out those leaving. I KNOW!! Two Beers and Two Rum drinks over a couple hours has cost me My license, my job thousands of bucks,eight days in jail, four months of school and AA and a good hit to my marital relations. I know what you're thinking, but it was a first offense! I got pulled over a quarter mile from the bar at 3:30 in the afternoon. Not lecturing, just a friendly admonition: Don't get complacent and don't give them a reason. This is big business for the gov.

On 2014-07-31 13:25, shovinoff wrote:
They won't admit it, but the CHP does watch bars and cars and wait out those leaving. I KNOW!! Two Beers and Two Rum drinks over a couple hours has cost me My license, my job thousands of bucks,eight days in jail, four months of school and AA and a good hit to my marital relations. I know what you're thinking, but it was a first offense! I got pulled over a quarter mile from the bar at 3:30 in the afternoon. Not lecturing, just a friendly admonition: Don't get complacent and don't give them a reason. This is big business for the gov.

And before someone else pops off, let me say I take full responsibility for the event. I fucked up! I should have Taken a $30. cab ride and not driven even the slightest bit impaired. I'm bringing it up in all humility to remind anyone that it doesn't take much anymore(.08%)and they can actually get you for less than that. Two good Mai tais is all it takes.

[ Edited by: shovinoff 2014-07-31 13:39 ]

T

What I find odd is that there is no public rage over people using their phone or texting while
driving as this causes more accidents than drunk driving.

So were the mothers MADD at booze or the deaths?
If it's the deaths then they need to change their focus or at least widen it.
But then maybe they can't as they are on the phone right now driving.

Likewise you can't even bring a peanut on a plane because of people who have
allergies.
BUT an animal is fine see it all the time, what about people who are allergic to animals?
I do know that nut allergies can be stronger than others but still.

Oh, I am raging, Skip, it really is a problem here.

Pages: 1 14 replies