Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Purple Orchid Tiki Lounge Karajokey this Saturday Night & NEW BUMATAY MUG RELEASE!

Pages: 1 26 replies

Come to the Purple Orchid Tiki Lounge and hang out with the Sailor Jerry Girls for a $1 drink featuring Sailor Jerry Rum this Saturday, December 18th from 9-10:30 PM.

The Karajokey Contest will begin at 10 PM. Tell a joke to win a prize from the Sailor Jerry Girls.

As if this isn't enough to make you race down here...

Our good friend, Tiki Al, has finally shipped his first batch of Bumatay style mugs commissioned exclusively for the Purple Orchid. These are a tribute to one of the most coveted mug designs of all time. Vintage originals usually go for over $200 each!

These mugs will go on sale at 9 PM. There aren't many, though. There are only 6 purple ones and 4 white (with light blue wash) ones available. They are $30 each, which is a real steal. Al may make some more, but we can't say for sure when that will happen. So, be here to get an elusive Bumatay or kick yourself afterwards!!!

Al spent a lot of time hand-tooling these mugs after each one came out of the mold. Notice the wood grain pattern in the final version that isn't in the first slipcast picture below. No two are exactly alike and the detail is incredible. I've seen the originals and these are crisper. Here are some pictures to wet your appetite:

First slipcasted mug out of kiln before fired.

Tiki Al with first fired bisque mug.

Bisques all lined up and waiting for glaze.

Purple Bumatay.

Close on Purple Bumatay face.

Inscribed at bottom.

This version is white with a very faint blue wash. You have to see it in person.

Close on white Bumatay face.

[ Edited by: trader tom 2010-12-17 21:58 ]

TT

On 2010-12-17 21:04, Trader Tom wrote:

Saturday, December 19th from 9-10:30 PM.

That mug looks awesome! Great job Al.

Only 10 though? People thought it was hard to get a Tonga Hut mug with only 25 available last weekend.
Congrats to the first ten people who get there with $30 in hand! Maybe with the DBC event going on some people will have a chance. Can't wait to get one!

So, is it Saturday Dec. 18th or Sunday Dec. 19th?

Tonga Tom, thanks for the correction. Got it updated now: SATURDAY the 18th!

Dave would have done more of an advance warning about the sale of the mugs but they arrived rather suddenly without warning. Al is overseas and they made plans at Tiki Oasis but it's taken a while for Al to get these done and shipped. I think the wait was worth it, though. Hopefully he'll be able to make more soon 'cuz these 10 are going to fly off the shelf!

T
TikiG posted on Sat, Dec 18, 2010 9:29 AM

Amazing Tiki Al!

...looks identical to the Bumatay mug I sold you at the Mayflower club last year...just sayin'

T

How will these awesome mugs be sold? Will there be a line? (What time does it form?) Will tickets be given to buyers?

Dave told me that they would go on sale at 9 when the event starts. I suspect there won't be anything quite as organized as a list or a line or tickets. They'll probably be behind the counter. Until yesterday, nobody but Dave and myself and Al knew about these, though, so please be patient if there's a little confusion.

Oh, did I mention that there would be Sailor Jerry Girls?!

I love that purple glaze, hopefully Tiki Al can make some more soon!

Thanks for the infor. Guess we'll take a long drive and take a chance. See you there.

T

Well, my brother David and his wife Cece as well as my wife made the long trip in the rain and are we glad we did. It was a great night and I was told the dollar sailor Jerry drinks were awesome. I was the designated driver on this trip.

The karojokey was entertaining but the best treat was the four of us were able to each buy a Tiki Al Bumatay mug. The pictures did not do them justice. At the end of the night, I checked with the bartender and they had one white mug left. I made sure no one there wanted the last one and then bought it.

On 2010-12-19 02:46, TikiVato wrote:
Well, my brother David and his wife Cece as well as my wife made the long trip in the rain and are we glad we did. It was a great night and I was told the dollar sailor Jerry drinks were awesome. I was the designated driver on this trip.

The karojokey was entertaining but the best treat was the four of us were able to each buy a Tiki Al Bumatay mug. The pictures did not do them justice. At the end of the night, I checked with the bartender and they had one white mug left. I made sure no one there wanted the last one and then bought it.

I really wanted to go, especially since I tried so hard to get the word out on Dave's behalf, but I never made it out of Pasadena last night, unfortunately.

It sounds like you guys had a good time, though. That's great! I'm glad the mugs found a good home.

I will definitely let everyone know when the next shipment of mugs arrives, although I suspect it may be another 6 months or so. It all depends on Al's work schedule.

TA

On 2010-12-18 09:29, TikiG wrote:
Amazing Tiki Al!

...looks identical to the Bumatay mug I sold you at the Mayflower club last year...just sayin'

Aloha TikiG...!!!! I'd love this design since the 1st time I saw it....

If it wasn't for you I would never have been able to do this Mug...!!!!
It's my 1st and I wanted to do something Neo-Classic...
Mahalo Bro.....

[ Edited by: Tiki Al 2010-12-20 02:40 ]

[ Edited by: Tiki Al 2011-09-16 03:11 ]

TA

On 2010-12-18 10:59, MauiRose wrote:
I love that purple glaze, hopefully Tiki Al can make some more soon!

I can't even tell you how hard it was to get these done.... I now think I understand why more people don't do Mugz, IT'S HARD!!!!! Guyz like Crazy AL, Squid, Gecko, Bosko.... They make Magic when they do this stuff...And Holden, well he's the MAN..!!! He's on a different level....I didn't want to let out info on the Mugz early just in case it didn't work out... Hopefully I'll be able to get more out SooooN...!!!!
I'm just glad Dave gave me a chance to do them, sorry it took so loooooong.......

[ Edited by: Tiki Al 2010-12-20 03:09 ]

And a special thankz to Trader Tom for a Great Post..!!!

[ Edited by: Tiki Al 2010-12-20 03:44 ]

Great job Al Wow! , hopefully I will score one of these mugs someday, I had to work so I missed the sale. How's life in Shanghi? Miss ya!

TA

On 2010-12-20 14:30, Hiphipahula wrote:
Great job Al Wow! , hopefully I will score one of these mugs someday, I had to work so I missed the sale. How's life in Shanghi? Miss ya!

I Mizz U2..!!!! I can't wait to see you and have one of your Fantastic Drink... Out here all I drink is Coke or beer... I'm working away on our show Oyeeo and on my day off I try to do MUGZ....!!!! This help me hold on to my inner TIKI....

Hopefully I'll be back in Feb so we can all catch up.... I've meet some CooooL people out here so that Helps....

[ Edited by: Tiki Al 2010-12-22 00:01 ]

Great Bumatay,Al!
you're Kooky AND talented!
could you bring that blue haired fox to my studio for Christmas?

TA

On 2010-12-22 08:52, little lost tiki wrote:
Great Bumatay,Al!
you're Kooky AND talented!
could you bring that blue haired fox to my studio for Christmas?

Sure, anything for You... I think she's a Natural Blue Hair...

L

Cool to have such a well known mug made into something for an operational tiki bar.

Looks great Al..but I do hope you make some more of these!

TA

On 2010-12-23 15:26, leleliz wrote:
Cool to have such a well known mug made into something for an operational tiki bar.

Looks great Al..but I do hope you make some more of these!

Well thatz kind of what I wanted to do...Something Classic that you can't find anymore....Unless your Lucky enough to score one from TikiG (Thankz Again!!!)
I had made more but some broke Firing, a couple on the way to the Studio and 1 on the flight....
And I had to keep one for matching in the future runs... Should have more by the 1st of the year...!!!! HoHoHo...!!

[ Edited by: Tiki Al 2011-01-15 00:56 ]

TA

Well the Next Bash of MUGS are done and I will be bring them back with me from CHINA this month... I think they look Nice.... Made the White ones a little more Blue and some in Brown...

Hope you guyz like them.... By the way did anyone take any pics of the event at Purple Orchid...???

[ Edited by: Tiki Al 2011-01-12 03:21 ]

BUMATAY! BUMATAY! BUMATAY!

We took a few pictures at the mug release.

The owners, Dave and Rebecca mingling with the crowd. Notice the white Bumatay, left side of the pic. Tiki Al, are you making any more of these white ones or will they all have the blue tint? The brown ones look great. When and how many Bumatay will be released? Will you be there?

Bartenders hard at work.

Dave warming up the crowd for the jokes contest.

Splitting her duties as comedian and bartender.

It was a fun time and for those that didn't make it, don't miss your second chance to land one of these incredible mugs.

Tiki Al!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The mug looks amazing!
Totally miss you!

TA

Many Thankz TikiVato..!!!! Yours are the 1st picz I've seen of the release... Man I wish I could have been there... Hope to be coming back with another 15 Mugz on the 25th and maybe a couple of very nice A/Ps.... Hopefully.....

These were the very 1st out of the mold and only 1 of them has Purple Orchid on it.... I really like them but I may bring 1 or 2 with me... Don't know.... Hope to see you there, please come by and say Aloha.....

T

Aloha T.A.
Let me know what dates you will be at the PO and we will be there. Hope you bring the AP's. Will the mug release be on the day you go? Gotta get a brown one. I will make sure to take our camera to post more pics.

Mahalo,

TikiVato

[ Edited by: TikiVato 2011-01-17 17:52 ]

TA

On 2011-01-17 17:48, TikiVato wrote:
Aloha T.A.
Let me know what dates you will be at the PO and we will be there. Hope you bring the AP's. Will the mug release be on the day you go? Gotta get a brown one. I will make sure to take our camera to post more pics.

Mahalo,

TikiVato

[ Edited by: TikiVato 2011-01-17 17:52 ]

If all goes well I should be back on the 25th... I don't know what Dave has planned but I looking forward to it.... It's Freeeezzzzzing CoooooLD here so it will be Sooooo nice to be Home..!!!!

I look forward to seeing all my friend and toasting in a Tiki Mug with one of Dave's Special Brews..... Mahalo..!!!!

TA

I find it Hard to Believe it's been a YEAR...!!!! Hope everybody knows how lucky they are to have a CooooooL place like this to go to.....

TA

Hey Ken...!!!! I Found Another Blue Hair for YoU....

Tiki AL finds a Rare Blue Hair for Little Lost Tiki at Anima Show in China...!!!

Pages: 1 26 replies