Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Hawaii Money??

Pages: 1 5 replies

At work today I came across a 1934 $10.00 bill that has Hawaii written twice on the front and once in large type on the back.
The serial numbers and treasury seal are brown instead of green. Has anyone seen one of these or know anything about them? Thanks

A

What you have is a silver certificate. This SC dollar bill is bid up to $130.00. Good Find.
Mahalo,
Al

http://www.heritagecoin.com/common/auctions/viewlot.asp?s=33052&l=22126&sid=6ED31A4464424996B62BF4F47F6317CE

[ Edited by: Alnshely on 2003-05-20 19:05 ]

Al, thanks for the response. My bill looks like the one you posted, only it isn't a silver certificate. It reads federal reserve note, so I guess it's just regular money?

First off, I am not an expert in currency so this is just an educated guess --

In 1934, Hawaii was not a state yet although it was US Territory. As such, I would assume that these dollar bills were marked "Hawaii" for use on the islands only - again this is a guess.

Hawaii was admitted as the 50th state in 1959.

**Poly-Pop ***

[ Edited by: PolynesianPop on 2003-05-21 08:07 ]

Just did a search on Yahoo. Here's what I found -- I was close!

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/coin-collecting/paper-money-faq/section-39.html

Good score and good information, guys! In all my years of banking and dealing with cash, I very seldom came across rare bills or coins. Typically the way I found them was when kids went through their parents piggy banks, or change drawer, and found some "funny looking money" and either spent it or brought it to the bank to exchange. Quite a few of the "younger" kids I use to work with when presented with the silver certificates or old coins would look funny at it and take the bill to a supervisor for approval. I would of course exchange my "nice" looking bill for the "funny" looking bill with my co-worker so that I could keep the silver certificate with my personal money collection at home.
I don't own a HAWAII stamped one yet. Good score!!!!!

Pages: 1 5 replies