Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Play my Tiki Hawaiian Exotica etc.. LP's online on my virtual record player

Pages: 1 34 replies

Just finished posting my Tiki, Hawaiian, Exotics etc.. LP colleciton online. You can actually play these LP's online on my virtual record player. Let me know what you think.
http://www.briancooper.us/tiki_record_player/tiki1/tiki_page_1.html

This is so genius! Mahalo nui loa for taking the time to make this website. The crackling of the albums adds to the coolness factor! Its the record collection i have always wanted but never assembled.

Your Welcome!

That is fantastic! I love the interface, with all the great album covers and the spinning turntable! Never seen anything like it - it's brilliant. I also love that you can skip through tracks.

I have a fair bit of vinyl myself - some of the same ones as in your collection, but not nearly as many. I foresee many hours checking out some of those albums!

Thanks!

[ Edited by: hibiscus 2010-12-20 13:42 ]

WOW!!!!

Nice design job on the website.

I love how you can chose a record, it pops out and then plays on the turntable!!

A LOT of work went into this. Thanks!!! :)

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

WOW is right...what an awesome website. Beautiful and so unique. ACES!!!!!

K
kirby posted on Mon, Dec 20, 2010 7:09 PM

Im floored! Thats fricken awesome!!
Can you make me one of those for my Android?

[ Edited by: kirby 2010-12-20 19:14 ]

On 2010-12-20 19:09, kirby wrote:
Can you make me one of those for my (edit)Iphone?

What Kirby said!

Absolutely marvelous!

Now I can sample different albums to find some new favorites so that I can then go on the search for the elusive originals.
My wallet is not going to like this but my ears will love it.

Thanks much for the contribution to the tiki subculture.

• fm

[ Edited by: fez monkey 2010-12-20 22:11 ]

Excellent website Hauntedhouse5. I really love how that record player works and especially love how you hear the record spinning when you hit pause. Genius touch there. I'm trying not to look @ it too much because I'm loving it even more, and that can't possibly be healthy.

Wow, Thanks for all your kind words!
I must admit, I didn't create this player from scratch, I modified an excising flash template, and "Tikifide" it along with some editing to the XML file and the graphic interface. The most time consuming part of this project is finding the time to record each LP. I hope to add at least 2 albums per week. I'm glad you guys enjoy this. I love being able play my records from any computer when ever the mood strikes me :)

On 2010-12-20 19:09, kirby wrote:
Can you make me one of those for my Android?

[ Edited by: kirby 2010-12-20 19:14 ]

I'm not sure if Android supports flash or not. I would have to check into that. You can PM me if this something your looking to do.

K
kirby posted on Tue, Dec 21, 2010 7:56 AM

The site does actually does work on my phone{Its a G2)wow! It loads slow and skips when playing, so its probably just to much awesomeness to handle,a slimmed down version would probly work great.

Very nice indeed - Mahalo.

This is beyond brilliant. Fantastic job and MAHALO!

On 2010-12-20 18:36, VampiressRN wrote:
WOW is right...what an awesome website. Beautiful and so unique. ACES!!!!!

Thanks for contacting me on my website. I responded to your email.

I'm speechless. That's brilliant, amazing and yet something else for me to do while at work other than work. Thanks!!!

S

ABSOLUTELY PHENOMENAL SITE!!! Seriously, from one vinyl lover to another what you've set out to endeavor is nothing short of amazing. I have well over 700 Exotica, Hawaiian, Polynesian, Afro-Cuban, Latin etc... records and although I love lining up the needle and working the turn table manually, what you've got going is light years ahead and so incredibly convenient. I'll most definitely enjoy listening to the dozen or so albums you've got up there that I don't have and look forward to the posting of many more. What a treat!!! Much Thanks and Mele KalikiMaka!

P.S. Don't know if you've heard of the Gene Rains group but their Lotus Land lp as well as Ralp Font's Tabu album are definitely worth checking out. Next to Baxter's Caribbean Moonlight they're my absolute favorites. Thanks again for sharing such an amazing collection.

On 2010-12-23 07:24, saball34 wrote:
ABSOLUTELY PHENOMENAL SITE!!! Seriously, from one vinyl lover to another what you've set out to endeavor is nothing short of amazing. I have well over 700 Exotica, Hawaiian, Polynesian, Afro-Cuban, Latin etc... records and although I love lining up the needle and working the turn table manually, what you've got going is light years ahead and so incredibly convenient. I'll most definitely enjoy listening to the dozen or so albums you've got up there that I don't have and look forward to the posting of many more. What a treat!!! Much Thanks and Mele KalikiMaka!

P.S. Don't know if you've heard of the Gene Rains group but their Lotus Land lp as well as Ralp Font's Tabu album are definitely worth checking out. Next to Baxter's Caribbean Moonlight they're my absolute favorites. Thanks again for sharing such an amazing collection.

Thank You for the kind words!
That's incredible that you have over 700 LP's. Now that's a goal that I would like to reach one day. I have heard of both the Gene Rains Group & Ralp Font (Both are wonderful lp's. I hope someday to be able to find them and ad them to my collection. I know I could just go on Ebay and get them but to me, half the fun of collecting these old LP's is finding them at thrift stores and fle markets etc. I haven't paid more then $1.00 for each of my LP's and I'm trying to stick to that. I'm sure one day I'll start breaking down and buying the more collectible one's on Ebay. But for now I'm enjoying the $1.00 price tag.
Thanks again for checking out my site!
Mery Christmas!

On 2010-12-21 07:56, kirby wrote:
The site does actually does work on my phone{Its a G2)wow! It loads slow and skips when playing, so its probably just to much awesomeness to handle,a slimmed down version would probly work great.

I just checked it out on my Iphone using the cloud browse app and was able to listen to it with no skips.

On 2010-12-20 08:49, Hauantedhouse5 wrote:
Just finished posting my Tiki, Hawaiian, Exotics etc.. LP colleciton online. You can actually play these LP's online on my virtual record player. Let me know what you think.
http://www.briancooper.us/tiki_record_player/tiki1/tiki_page_1.html

Nice work! Yet another reminder why vinyl records MATTER so much more than simple CDs. I may never physically visit Hawaii, but those record sleeves (and not just the music) sure take me there! :)

***** I wanted to thank everyone for all of the wonderful positive comments and support for the work I did on my record player. *****
It has been brought to my attention that by hosting such a music player that allows the user to listen (stream) copyrighted music (especially full albums) is in violation of copyright laws and that I my be held liable. My intention was not to infringe on any copyrights to the artist on these wonderful albums. So, I decided to remove the record player just to be on the safe side. You can still enjoy the album artwork posted on the my pages. I will still continue to add new album artwork as I find these great treasures.
Thanks again,
Brian

Hate it when The Man takes the fun out of things.

Jeez, that was fast! I got the link from Otto, barely had time to get into it, and now BAM!
I wish there would be some inofficial way to may the record player work, after all the work you put into it!

On 2010-12-28 08:37, bigbrotiki wrote:
Jeez, that was fast! I got the link from Otto, barely had time to get into it, and now BAM!
I wish there would be some inofficial way to may the record player work, after all the work you put into it!

I am still using it for my personal use. It's very convenient for me to listen to my lps this way. Maybe someday I'll be able to post it live again.

MH

Not to be a lame-o, but as one of the "The Men" here, speaking for the other musicians on TC and elsewhere, I think you did the right thing taking the site down. If everybody enjoys the music this way, especially exotica which is not cheap to make (unless you go the synthesizer route which takes away the magic IMHO), there won't be any new music to enjoy because musicians won't be able to afford to make new records as everyone gets used to them being posted online for free. Piracy really does hurt, especially for indie acts (even with a few sales from TC, I am $1000s in the hole from producing the latest Esquivel big band CD ( http://orchestrotica.com/album ) and our May 2011 quartet album for Mr. Ho's Orchestrotica). Record sales will never come close to even allow us to break even on these costs, let alone profit from the making of these albums (and we expected that, but seeing this type of thing always hurts a bit).

You could probably get away with some short preview clips ala iTunes etc; and personally, regardless of law, it is one thing when an album is no longer available anywhere and all attempts to purchase it fail - in that case, I think there is an argument to be made for posting the record for download, but that's another discussion for drinks some time.

This is an old discussion of course!

My two cents,

Brian / Mr. Ho

On 2010-12-28 10:08, Mr. Ho wrote:
Not to be a lame-o, but as one of the "The Men" here, speaking for the other musicians on TC and elsewhere, I think you did the right thing taking the site down. If everybody enjoys the music this way, especially exotica which is not cheap to make (unless you go the synthesizer route which takes away the magic IMHO), there won't be any new music to enjoy because musicians won't be able to afford to make new records as everyone gets used to them being posted online for free. Piracy really does hurt, especially for indie acts (even with a few sales from TC, I am $1000s in the hole from producing the latest Esquivel big band CD ( http://orchestrotica.com/album ) and our May 2011 quartet album for Mr. Ho's Orchestrotica). Record sales will never come close to even allow us to break even on these costs, let alone profit from the making of these albums (and we expected that, but seeing this type of thing always hurts a bit).

You could probably get away with some short preview clips ala iTunes etc; and personally, regardless of law, it is one thing when an album is no longer available anywhere and all attempts to purchase it fail - in that case, I think there is an argument to be made for posting the record for download, but that's another discussion for drinks some time.

This is an old discussion of course!

My two cents,

Brian / Mr. Ho

I do want make it clear that I was not making this music available for downloading. It was being played via a flash interface that only allowed the user to listen to, not download, the music. I do agree with you "Piracy really does hurt"

[ Edited by: Hauantedhouse5 2010-12-28 10:33 ]

Have you checked to see how many of these albums are available on iTunes or elsewhere?

On 2010-12-28 10:50, TikiTacky wrote:
Have you checked to see how many of these albums are available on iTunes or elsewhere?

Some are and some are not.

Is it possible to shuffle the music and not play a full album?

On 2010-12-29 03:43, senioraqua wrote:
Is it possible to shuffle the music and not play a full album?

Yes, it is possible but then it would be just like a Pandora player. It would totally kill the coolness factor. From what I learned, they only thing I might be able to do is only play about 30 sec of each song. That would also kill the coolness factor.

Maybe you could just make the out of print albums that aren't on itunes playable. These aren't exactly the master recording being shared.

On 2010-12-29 06:05, senioraqua wrote:
Maybe you could just make the out of print albums that aren't on itunes playable. These aren't exactly the master recording being shared.

Just because they are out of print and not on itunes doesn't mean they are not copyrighted. If they are any lawyers out there that no of a legal way to play these great LP's and want to help me out, that would be great. :)

Hey everybody, it's been awhile since i've posted on TC since taking down my Tiki record player. Just wanted to let everybody know that I've updated my tiki LP, Exotica, Lounge record collection and have added lots of new thrift store finds. No music to listen to yet but there are lots of cool album covers to view. Feel free to leave comments and enjoy!
Here's the link:
http://www.briancooper.us/tiki_brian/tiki/vintage_hawaiian_lp_collection/
Brian

What an outstanding resource!

Pages: 1 34 replies