Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

Humble Oxnard Beginnings

Pages: 1 17 replies

T

We live in Oxnard CA (see "Tradewinds" posts), a very historically significant area of the Central California coast I believe. Although now its fallen to abstract non-appreciation among the more afluent "crowd" around here. So I'm a Navy veteran and me and my girlfriend purchased this home on the north side. We knew we had a gem when we saw this foreclosure find! It was designed by Richard Kehoe and built by the Gunthers, a plumbing company owner, in 1961. Its definately "mid-century modern" or "Googie" as some call it? Anyway, I will be embarking on a modest tiki room in the near future and wanted some opinions/suggestions.

Here is a picture just after we re-painted it. These are the original colors. The previous owner had painted the home "bandaid brown"...

The backyard...

And the entrance. Note original room divider and rock wall. The other side is another rock wall and fireplace. That is where my tiki room will be. Pictures soon!

[ Edited by: tld92019 2010-12-23 19:14 ]

[ Edited by: tld92019 2010-12-23 19:15 ]

TT

Interior rock walls are the best... I think my landlord would object if i constructed one. I always say: If you cant love the rock wall you want, love the one you're with!

How fun!!! Looks like this home has some great potential. Take your time and do it right so that you complement the architecture. That room divider is awesome. Looking forward to pictures. :)

EDIT-forgot to say....Welcome to TC :wink:

"Oh waiter, another cocktail please!!!"

[ Edited by: VampiressRN 2010-12-24 09:16 ]

T

Today I decided to take a few pictures of my future tiki-inspired room. I'm not sure to what extent we'll go, but I'm looking for suggestions from you guys here. Note the 1974 Williams Strato Flite pinball machine and the dart board. They are staying. The fireplace is all natural rock and original to the home.

In this picture you can see the doorway to the left that has a pocket door. This is how visitors will first enter the room. The heater door doubles as a score board.

Here you can see the oversized closet. Possible bar area? Note the pocket door leading out to the kitchen and pantry. This room can be completely closed from the rest of the house. Not seen to the right just off camera is another pocket door leading to the breakfast nook/kitchen and another door to the lanai.

View looking at my pinball and wide slider door/window going out to our lanai. I don't want to disturb the original rock work around the fireplace. Maybe some minor sculptures here and there. The curtain is definately period correct for the home (1961) and were custom ordered two years ago.

[ Edited by: tld92019 2010-12-24 09:29 ]

Welcome to Tiki Central TLD, I had seen you joined yesterday and thought for sure you were from El Cajon CA (San Diego area) because of the 92019 zip code :lol:

Beautiful house, I think it's great that you are keeping the rock as is, not trying to "update" it. Enjoy your restoration

The stone fireplace is great...you really need to go retro in there. Here are a couple of links that will be fun to review and maybe give you some ideas.

Great pictures and ideas on this site...you can spend hours searching and finding great resources here.
http://retrorenovation.com/2010/12/20/mid-century-modern-living-room-design-ideas/

My friend, Darilyn, did a great job of Tikifying her lounge and she has a totally retro living room too...very tastefully done and complements the home's architecture.
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=35969&forum=20&start=0

I can't find the thread of the folks that have a retro home lounge with something similar to this red bar stool, but if anyone can find it, a link would be nice. I think it was an Aussie...but can't remember. (sorry) Not that you would necessarily want this stool, but as I remember that whole lounge was pretty awesome.

T

Thanks guys! Already a ton of help! Yes, I used to live in El Cajon (and still have a rental there) but now I'm in Oxnard. Cheers!

I spy the Hirohata Merc on the wall over the couch. You've got my attention. Great house. Welcome to TC & keep us posted.

T

On 2010-12-27 18:24, Big Kahuna wrote:
I spy the Hirohata Merc on the wall over the couch. You've got my attention. Great house. Welcome to TC & keep us posted.

Thank you! Yes, I was a "regular" at the last four Cruisin National in Paso Robles CA up until the city kicked them out. Big fun!

You've got the makings of a great mid-century room! I'm jealous! Retro sofa, a resin-chunk swag lamp, boomerang coffee table, some color on the walls, keep the bamboo and wall matting limited to the closet-turned-bar... awesomeness! Someday I'm gonna have the chance to do a room like this!

T

On 2010-12-31 03:02, Bongo Bungalow wrote:
You've got the makings of a great mid-century room! I'm jealous! Retro sofa, a resin-chunk swag lamp, boomerang coffee table, some color on the walls, keep the bamboo and wall matting limited to the closet-turned-bar... awesomeness! Someday I'm gonna have the chance to do a room like this!

Thanks for the ideas. My brother in law in Phoenix wants to give me this awesome swag lamp I keep forgetting to bring home. The retro furnishing idea is a good one. As far as the "tiki bar" in the closet, if I only do bamboo there wouldn't it make the rest of the room look unfinished?

T

Welcome Aboard!! GREAT place you got there!! The room divider is awesome and the rock.....well, let's just say every Tiki Bar needs a bit!!
Looking forward to some more pic's and your progress as you go.
Have fun!!

Mahalo, TabooDan

L

Great house! love the room divider and the rock wall. Why anyone would want to live in a modern made house when there are gems like that still available is beyond me. Looking forward to seeing how your place comes along!

Hi. I can't wait to see the pix!

[ Edited by: MustangScott 2011-01-10 22:09 ]

Let Handford know you pictures are missing or maybe you can edit and replace them.

This was the thread I wanted to share with you earlier...it is very well done.
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=36955&forum=20&start=0

T

My pictures are missing? Who is handford?

Hanford is the owner of this here establishment.

P

Oh I can't see the pics...:(

Pages: 1 17 replies