Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

What is your "go to" cocktail in your home bar.

Pages: 1 21 replies

Seems like the Mai Tai has been my go to cocktail in my home bar for some time now. It's the cocktail I always make first thing for our cocktail nights. The first cocktail sets the evening mood while I am perusing the recipe books for other selections. My wife always orders up a classic rum and vodka Blue Hawaii. Just wondering if other folks have a "go to" cocktail or is this just the start of OCD.

D
dcman posted on Sat, Jan 22, 2011 8:37 AM

My version of the painkiller, created when I misread the recipe while trying out some additions, but I like it more than the original. And, I make it in bulk. It's good for parties and for breakfast without the rum.

Pitcher:
48 ounces fresh orange juice
12 ounces pineapple juice
12 ounces of guava nectar (In Latin section of my grocery store)
1-15 ounce can of cream of coconut (Coco Lopez is official, but others will work)
3 ounces fresh lime juice

mix well and often -

fill a highball glass or small-medium sized tiki mug with ice,

add 1 1/2 ounces of rum (Pussers rum makes it official)

fill glass with mix to fill the glass

top with fresh grated nutmeg (do NOT use pre-grated nutmeg, it will ruin your drink, grate your own at the bar, fresh whole nutmeg can be found in the spice section of most stores)

At parties, I always go through 2-3 times as many painkillers as I do any other drink.

dcman

(trick #1 - the cream of coconut has a tendency to separate - head this off at the pass by pre-mixing the cream of coconut and some of the juices in a blender or bowl, then blend or whisk or otherwise find a way to break up the lumps. Doing this ahead of time makes the drink creamier and non-chunky later on)

T

We alternate among several “go to” cocktails at our home bar:

1. The Mai Tai in either of two versions… the Moon Islander Mai Tai (http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=26860&forum=1&vpost=488554&hilite=moon) or the Royal Mai Tai (http://www.imbibemagazine.com/Royal-Mai-Tai-Cocktail-Recipe, and I do offer my apologies in advance for offending the Bum and other purists who quite rightly point out that orange and pineapple juices never had any place in a classic Mai Tai, but these recipes are pleasing to our tastes

2. A stripped down version of the Zombie made to Trader Tiki’s recipe using his Don’s Mix (recipe on the label), quite easy to make and oh so calming…

3. Margaritas on the rocks simply mixed from reposado, Cointreau and fresh lime juice, a lovely drink anytime, though I suppose it doesn’t count as a tiki drink

dcman: your Painkiller recipe looks intriguing; I'll give it a try at my next gathering of like-minded tipsters

P

The "tiki" cocktails I most commonly make at home are mojitos and dark & stormys. This is because they are relatively easy to make. When I want a real tiki cocktail, I most commonly make either a mai tai or a zombie. When making zombies I usually use the DTB "Speivak" version.

Currently, the Scorpion. Why? The lemon trees and orange trees are blooming where I live.

Also, I am making a lot of Reverb Crashes. Why? I need to use up my Passion Fruit syrup. And, you guessed it, my grapefruit tree needs picking.

Next Saturday, it will be Rum Barrels and Scorpions for a tiki drink party I am having in Palm Desert.

My Key Lime tree has lost the last of its fruit, but I still find a few on the ground. When I do, I go to my grapefruit tree and its Navy Grogs.

dcman's Painkiller is more than intriguing, it is fantastic.

Just ask anyone who was at Ohana Luau at the Lake 2009!

traders mai tai for me, rum runners for the wife

After working in the yard, Dark and Stormy. I actually make what I call After the Storm and use Fresca in place of the Ginger Beer. Refreshing.

After a hard day at the Office, Mai Tai's are my first choice, Jet Pilots take a close second.

If I'm making a batch of something for company, I go for the Mai Kai's Derby Daiquiri. Simple, tasty, refreshing.

I usually make folks a Mai Tai. And I try my best to replicate the T.V. version...but sometimes, if I don't think they'll care...I won't use Martinique rum (shhhh).

I also like serving my Kanaloa Kannibal.

RB

I don't think they'll care...I won't use Martinique rum (shhhh)

I'm the same way :)

S

151 Swizzles are the ladies' favorites, and DtB Navy Grog for the men folk. In summer, a pitcher of Derby Daiquiris. Lately my Head Shrinker is becoming a favorite.

for the ladies its a Rum Runner or a Singapore Sling.

for the fellas its a Sazerac or a Manhattan.

for just my wife and I unwinding its an Aviation, Sidecar, or La Paloma.

Depends on the person of course, but my current "go-to" list includes:

Sweet: Whisky Sour

Sweet, but different: Trinidad Sour

Strong:
Manhattans, including a the Mediterranean Manhattan, made with Tuaca
Sazaracs, or for the rum-inclined, a Smuggler's Notch

Tiki: a Mai Tai or a Singapore Sling, or since TornadoTiki made an awesome firebowl, we'll make a Scorpion Bowl

For the ladies: a Mary Pickford, or a Pisco sour

For large groups, I'll make a batch of Whisky-Cider punch of my own devising using bourbon, Navan, lemon juice and maple syrup.

If I'm feeling lazy a Mai Tai or sometime a Daquari if I feel like working for it a Jet Pilot.

Pretty much ditto.

Jet Pilots tonight, as a matter of fact!

what's your Jet Pilot recipes?

I use the one the Kaiser Penguin posted from the Beachbum:
http://www.kaiserpenguin.com/jet-pilot/

thanks. I use this too.

there was discussion that this is actually a Beverly Hills Luau jet pilot?

W

My go to changes on a weekly basis for some variety. Right now it's a Navy Grog.

which recipe?

W

Since I'm out of grapefruit I've been subbing different tart juices like lemon and cranberry, which tastes pretty good together, to go with the honey and three rums. I use Ronrico Silver for the light rum, Tanduay for the gold and Bacardi Select for the dark. Though I may swap out the Tanduay for Sailor Jerry next time.
It's proportions are based on one of the Beachbum Berry recipes.

This drink grew out of being tired and lazy after a hard day with the rich people . . . nothing is fresh; all from a carton or a bottle . . . but it works for me because it's tasty and quick to make. I call it "Lucy, I'm Home!"

3/4 oz Lime juice (I used Nellie & Joe's Key Lime juice, but fresh works just as well).
2oz Welch's Passion Fruit juice ( I warned you, didn't I?)
1 oz Guava nectar (Any brand will do)
1/4 oz Falernum
Dash of Peychauds bitters
2 1/2 oz Rum of choice.(I usually use 1 1/2 oz of Cruzan Dark and 1 oz of El Dorado 5 year Demerara)

Shake well with crushed ice, garnish or not and enjoy! (Lucy will have to make her own!)

Pages: 1 21 replies