Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

Posting to Ebay - how to questions

Pages: 1 7 replies

Hello all.. I have looked at the ebay site on the how to demo's but I am wondering if you guys - who post / sell on ebay have any tips. More about descriptions, picture posting, setting reserves and pricing as far as what ebay takes $. Thanks in advance.

W

I'm gettin ready to put up a bunch of stuff for a friend and would appreciate any info and tips on all aspects of the process.

One useful thread with info about shipping options: eBay Post Office Prices vs. Fedex and UPS

mahalo
keep them tips coming!

I post as many photos of the item as I can. Good photos of your item may make a big difference in the bids. I use a small light box for my photos that my wife picked up at Walmart for about forty bucks. A good camera is a must. Cell phone pics in my opinion don't really do the job well. Describe any defects as well as the good things about the item equally. I also put in the description " Please view all of the photos closely and ask any questions before bidding". Pack your items well as any shipper can play hell with a package. Weigh your package and figure out your shipping options before posting your items. I don't seal the box before the auction ends just in case the bidder wants more photos or has a question about the item. This has worked for me for a good long time. Hope you do good on your auctions.

thanks trav!

M

I rarely use a reserve. I,for the most part, think it is a waste of money. Do research on items you think might be valuable. If you have a Harveys Bucket mug and you think it is worth $100, go to Advanced Search on ebay and check the COMPLETED auctions. You may find a hundred people trying to sell that mug and only a few sold for seven bucks! Checking current listings or Buy It Knows mean nothing for value. Some fool might have a Buy It Know on that mug for $500, but that doesn't mean it is worth $500-only that someone is dreaming. I sold a rare Tiki mug that has never been seen before, but I didn't use a reserve- I just hoped the market would determine the price. I got $200- I was happy.
You should check current listings to see if a hundred people are trying to sell the same item-if so, yours won't sell for much.
Oh, some sellers don't do this, but I usually set my opening bid somewhere around the minimum I'd like to get. Most of my items are affordable-most I start at $9.99. I would not do that on a valuable item. My $200 mug may have had selling issues, if I started the bidding at $200. In that case, I think I started it at 99 cents, because I knew it would sell for a least $100.

I'm the most thirstiesterest of all!
TRADER VIC'S stuff for sale on EBAY 1957SPUTNIK
http://shop.ebay.com/1957sputnik/m.html
If you like it, it is ZAZZ! If you don't it is RAZZ!

[ Edited by: mrsmiley 2011-01-31 08:37 ]

W

I'm most curious about best days and times to list or have auctions end. (It seems opening and ending on a week day during regular business hours across North America would be best as so may people only access the Internet from work.)

UT

I usually do three day auctions. If it is an item I want to have a bit more exposure I will do a five day. EBay allows you to set a time for the auction to start so you can choose a time and walk away and the auction will start at the selected time. I have had good luck with auctions that go over the weekend and end on a Sunday when folks are no so busy. I think if people really want your item they will find a way to bid or set their max bid high enough to win the auction. Also don't forget to link your auction for Tiki related items to the marketplace thread on TC.

Pages: 1 7 replies