Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

I got a Tiki Bar in my basement.

Pages: 1 24 replies

Nine months ago I started construction on my Tiki Lounge. Which I have named after my new kitten Tiki. Please tell me what you think.

The TikiTastic Lounge under construction:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=70994&id=1387275221&l=4eddd29f59

The TikiTastic Lounge Tour:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=100301&id=1387275221&l=75b2061ef4

[ Edited by: Tikitastic2009 2011-02-01 14:02 ]

TT

This looks like a very cozy space with a nice big bar. I like all the bamboo and the mood lighting from multiple colored lights.

However, I don't see any big carved Tikis, pufferfish lamps, tapa cloth, Tiki mugs, hula girls or rum bottles...

Your bar is probably a little too sportsbar/Jimmy Buffet centered for most on these forums.

See the ABOUT page at top of Tiki Central's site which reads:

What Tiki Central Isn't
Everyone here at Tiki Central is passionate about the Polynesian Pop movement. While the exact edges are blurry, we can give you a bit of insight into what Tiki Central is not about:

It’s not about Jimmy Buffett and Parrotheads
It’s not modern plastic, brightly-colored tiki party decorations
It’s not about the Caribbean/Key west design aesthetic
It’s not about Reggae
It’s not about African-art inspired masks/carvings/design
It’s not about Margaritas and tequila-based drinks
It's not about simply anything that has a tiki on it or in it
It is okay to like one or more of the above and be a member of Tiki Central, just remember that it's not our focus. There are plenty of places on the web for that. We encourage new users who may not know what Tiki is to read up, search our forums, and ask questions.

I have a suggestion... not so much for you because your bar looks pretty much done. And it looks way cool! I am guessing your a Jets Fan?

Just a general suggestion regarding TV's and Exotic Bar spaces

If you want to include a TV in your lounge you can 'hide' it behind doors. Doors closed, smaller exotic bar. Doors open, game on and party time!

If you spend a lot of time in your bar and you spend a lot of that time with the TV on,and therefore the door idea fails because they are always open, you can hide the TV behind some smoked plexiglass. Visit a local sign shop, or ask the internets, for a very light tint on the plexi. Decorate around the plexi screen as if you were decorating around a fish tank. If you turn the brightness of the tv to a higher setting you will never really notice the plexi, and being plexi your remotes will still do their job. Then, when the TV is off, it doesn't look like a TV turned off, it looks like a window or dark fish tank.

I had some pictures of this idea somewhere and it looks really neat! When I find them I'll share.

P.S....Trader Tom, lighten up. Its a great bar! Bamboo, dark atmosphere, parrots, pirate flags, a lot of personal touches that reflect their tastes. I would so love to watch the Super Bowl in that setting. I think the only thing truly missing is a blowfish lamp.

Hey, Tikitastic2009, I see your in the New York area. I can connect you to some of the local tiki people who can help you build a couple of blowfish lamps to contribute to the atmosphere of the bar. Some of them are even Jets fans :wink:

H

On 2011-02-01 15:08, Chip and Andy wrote:
... I think the only thing truly missing is a blowfish lamp.

And some real Tikis.

TT

On 2011-02-01 15:08, Chip and Andy wrote:
P.S....Trader Tom, lighten up. Its a great bar!

Absolutely, it's a great bar. Sorry if I came off as a rule Nazi.

Don't tear it down by any means. But do add some carved Tikis and put some rum drinks on the menu if you get a chance.

Nice bar. I enjoyed the build pictures, very comprehensive.

You could get one of those aquarium DVD's and have it on loop when you're not watching TV.

And great space for a bar.

Well done.

Looks like you put a lot of work into your bar...love the ceiling, nice ambiance with the lighting. It's good to include items in your bar that you like and enjoy looking at...especially when drinking...LOL. Throw in a couple of life-sized Tikis...bars are a work in progress. Keep up the great work. :)

MR

I hid my tv in the box pictured here that reads coconuts. The front just detatches.

I know the coconuts box is the first thing your eyes are drawn to. (heh heh)

UB

On 2011-02-03 13:13, Matt Reese wrote:
The front just detatches.

G
GROG posted on Thu, Feb 3, 2011 4:32 PM

Is that a Tiki Bar in your basement, or are just happy to see me?

On 2011-02-03 13:13, Matt Reese wrote:
I hid my tv in the box pictured here that reads coconuts. The front just detatches.

I know the coconuts box is the first thing your eyes are drawn to. (heh heh)

...lovely coconuts indeed !!

Thanks everybody for the great information and feedback.

Chip and Andy, I would love to make a blowfish lamp, please hook me up with people in my area.

Trader Tom, Thank you for your input too. Last weekend I finally got two tiki masks carved from Bali. I will be adding my tiki mug collection and some statues soon. Really want to get a hula girl lamp that moves. The only hula girl I got so for is a dashboard one.

Kon-Hemsby,The aquarium DVD is a great idea will do soon as I find a nice HD movie download. The large tv is a HD projector screen and multiple monitors around the room which I have made bamboo frames or tropical wood frames. That I am playing music video's and my favorite tropical/Tiki movies and Tv shows. Hard Rock TikiStyle you can say.

The sports bar thing: The NY Jets is only up for the football games it not a permanent fixture.

Here is a little background about my tiki lounge. I travel a lot for work I am a trade show guru. I manage my company exhibits. I try to go to as many tiki bars as I can to bring different idea's home. My favorite Tiki type place is the Tonga Room in San Francisco so far. My two favorite vacation destinations are Key West and New Orleans that is why those influences are in the lounge. I also got some of my influences from movies and TV Shows. Movies Like Donovan's Reef, Club Paradise, Kon-Tiki, and the John Wayne's War Movies. The TV show such as Gilligan's Island, Adventures in Paradise, Ba Ba Black Sheep, Magnum P.I., and Mc Hale's Navy. I love adventure books that take place on the sea specially when the ports of call are in Polynesian islands. Books by Clive Cussler and a Salty Piece of Land by Jimmy Buffett just to name a few.

All most all the materials for the tiki lounge is O.P.G "Others People Garbage" and I purchase two rattan chairs from Craigslist. But most of it was garbage picked. For the wood I used pallets for my work got old wood from home renovations in area. The decor I repainted and refurbish and I order some from Internet and brought items back for business trips and vacations.

I got the bamboo fencing from a garden center and the rest of the bamboo from Pier 1 Imports. From Pier 1 I got bamboo poles 1 3/4" x 72" for $12.95 a bundle of three and bamboo placement $1.99. I used beach mats for the wall I got at discount store for .99 each.

I split the ceiling into four area the leis and red bamboo, beads and yellow bamboo, fishing net and sea life, and thatch entree area. I am still working on the last two area's

The TikiTastic Lounge seats 16 people with two people behind the bar. I add four copper top tables. The reason I got the copper top tables is that it reminds me of great breakfast spot in New Orleans off Jackson Square where my wife and I ate last spring.

The Tiki lounge is always evolving and I am adding new things all the time. What gets add to the Tiki Lounge is dependent on the tides of my neighborhood trash.

I am traveling for work the week of Feb 14 and I will be in San Diego. Does anybody know of any good tiki shopping stops? So I can TIKI UP my lounge. Also I will be in Ft Lauderdale, FL the second week in March. Any recommendation of tiki bars or shopping spots for these cities would be great.

Thanks again,

Robby

Sent From Robby's iPad Via The Coconut Telegraph, 25 Words or Less!

San diego has a plenty of spots that sell tiki type stuff for bars straight up - signs and bamboo and all sorts of stuff.
You should visit the Bali Hai and stop by the gift shop as well as grab some mugs.
Over by mission beach near san diego there are tiki stops but be sure to go visit Freaky Boutiki. Hodadhank is on here search him out too!

Ft lauderdale - Mai Kai and wreck bar - maybe ask CHIPANDANDY for some info from that area since they chimed in earlier in the post.

IN NYC - Ottos shrunken head / PainKiller / Lani Kai.
IN NJ Chans and Lees.

Have fun.

M

I love that rattan chair! And nice job with the bamboo on the walls.

Here's a thread with advice on going to the Mai Kai:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=36761&forum=16

Obviously if in Ft Lauderdale the Mai Kai is a must-stop :) Being a HUGE Parrothead myself I noticed all the JB stuff right away and that kick-ass mixer on the bar (is that the single or the triple mixer--couldn't tell in the photo) I know JB isn't tiki, and we're not supposed to talk about that stuff here--just wanted to say I think you have a nice collection and it will be interesting to see how you blend all the tiki and JB stuff; I have the same dilemma: do I keep the collections separate or try to put them in the same space? I'll be watching to what you come up with! Thanks!!

Hey Tikitastic

when you describe how you got the idea for your bar, I could completely see how it all came together. It has some nice crusty layers of stuff. I wouldn't change anything about it if you enjoy it the way it is.

BA

On 2011-02-06 21:57, liltikichef wrote:
Obviously if in Ft Lauderdale the Mai Kai is a must-stop :) Being a HUGE Parrothead myself I noticed all the JB stuff right away and that kick-ass mixer on the bar (is that the single or the triple mixer--couldn't tell in the photo) I know JB isn't tiki, and we're not supposed to talk about that stuff here--just wanted to say I think you have a nice collection and it will be interesting to see how you blend all the tiki and JB stuff; I have the same dilemma: do I keep the collections separate or try to put them in the same space? I'll be watching to what you come up with! Thanks!!

I am also a huge Parrothead. My basement manctuary is a blend of So-Cal surfing stuff, sprinkled with Jimmy and Tiki.

It might be against the 'rules' here, but I happen to love the way its shaping up and when people are over they feel like they are on vacation.

I have made updates and will be out to it this weekend. It is still a work in progress but you will be able to see the 'blend' I am talking about.

Pictures will follow.

Bobby A

Very cool bar!

Hang the code, and hang the rules. They're more like guidelines anyway.

Just a note. The "Finding Nemo" dvd has some cool aquarium loops for the tv!

Hello All my very Tiki Friends,

I just got back from my two trips to San Diego and Fort Lauderdale. Here are pictures of the places I went. Bali Hai, MAI-KAI and The Da Big Kahuna. I got Tiki Mugs and other Tiki Decor to share with you and a photo tour of MAI-KAI in Fort Lauderdale a very cool place!

Mr. Bali Hai Tiki Mug from the Bali Hai Restaurant in San Diego.

Infront of the Bali Hai Restaurant.

Fort Lauderdale, FL

Photo Tour of Mai Kai

Share this album with anyone by sending them this public link:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=106504&l=0084d279ab&id=1387275221

Tiki Mug From the Big Kahuna

Very Tiki Treasure Found in Fort Lauderdale

Update Dated TIKITASTIC LOUNGE Pic's

Large fish tank I see! AKA The Projector.

Bali Hai Tiki Mugs and a Many Rums

The New Tiki Mugs a foot!!!!!!

Chinese Glass Floats be hanging

Coconut and Bamboo wind-chimes

Tiki Drinks at !5% F not to bad!!!! I great birthday gift from my wife!!!!

Thanks for all your posts and idea's please keep them coming!!!!!

Robby

[ Edited by: Tikitastic2009 2011-03-16 21:28 ]

Your place is looking great and that chiller....hmmmmm interesting, may have to splurge for that some day. :wink:

F

i would love to hang in that bar, but wouldnt call it tiki (yet). and who says it needs to be a tiki bar! call it 'ocean' or 'caribbean' or 'floridian' or 'bamboo and booze' and just enjoy all the stuff you've already got!

that Jaws pic is priceless!

VERY cool lookin' place. Nice job mate.

P
Polly posted on Tue, Mar 29, 2011 7:05 PM

Quite cozy place.

T
TikiB posted on Tue, Mar 29, 2011 7:51 PM

When I went to Da Big Kahuna they did not have mugs yet and the waitress did not know if they were ever planning on getting them. Is it Ceramic? Thanks for uploading pics. When we go to Ft Lauderdale we go strait to the Mai Kai. I will have to give Da Big Kahuna another try.

Pages: 1 24 replies